Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Money  (Read 1659 times)

Felgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Money
« on: February 20, 2012, 11:12:09 pm »

I’ve come to the conclusion money is really useless still in game. The main culprit is the fact there is nothing worth buying in cities as things stand. What I’d like to see added to the game is a new elite shop that sells very high value items that players would want to spend their money on.

Of course this raises the issue of players simply killing everyone and stealing the items, so these shops would need a room for storage that was impossible to enter, so even if you wiped out the shop keepers, the items themselves would be out of your reach.

Or perhaps simply create 10-20 superhuman legendary adamantine equipped guards that can’t be recruited by the player and never sleep and have them protect the shop or something.

Another possibility that doesn’t leave a lot of high value stuff lying on the ground is to have the option to pay a blacksmith to upgrade your equipment level instead of buying new items. That way money has a use and thieves don’t become uber-powerful simply by cleaning out a shops inventory.

Anyway as things stand now, I find myself simply dropping the money as it clutters my inventory screens.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
Re: Money
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 11:24:57 pm »

I used to buy bigger and bigger and fancier and fancier gems, consolidating wealth, but without something to spend them on it really was just chasing the dragon. Heh, wound up traveling the wilds as Urist McWTFRICH, trading golden bags of diamonds for hunks of yak brain.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 11:27:56 pm »

Actually, large gems make excellent money stores, as they don't devalue between civilizations. OTOH, if you've just cleared some bandits, take the gold at least, as you will occasionally find weapon and armor merchants in cities.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Randy Gnoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 11:40:19 pm »

Has anyone experimented with a private horde in the new version?  Toady said there were improvements to how dropped items are tracked.  Maybe you could take all that massive wealth, stuff it in fancy stone coffers purchased from the dwarven masons in some city, and stash it all away in a lair somewhere.  It would still be "chasing the dragon" so to speak, but you could eventually retire your adventurer (or wait for him to die honorably in combat) and start a fortress on the site of his old horde- with a massive stash of starting weapons, armor and trade wealth.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 12:13:42 am »

Has anyone experimented with a private horde in the new version?  Toady said there were improvements to how dropped items are tracked.  Maybe you could take all that massive wealth, stuff it in fancy stone coffers purchased from the dwarven masons in some city, and stash it all away in a lair somewhere.  It would still be "chasing the dragon" so to speak, but you could eventually retire your adventurer (or wait for him to die honorably in combat) and start a fortress on the site of his old horde- with a massive stash of starting weapons, armor and trade wealth.

And a Titan by the end of the first year.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 12:46:43 am »

And a Titan by the end of the first year.
your titans survive worldgen?  all mine die by year 100 or so.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

mrchace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 12:57:28 am »

I agree. We as richy rich adventurers need something to spend our money on... can someone say high-pressure magma cannon? lol jk. but on a more serious note. i do like the idea of a blacksmith to upgrade the quality of equipment as well as maybe the ability to lower the weight of an item, to add weapon chains (to stop from being disarmed or dropping your weapon), spikes to shields and armor to do damage when you charge or shield   bash. edit: also the ability to have a specific weapon forged that produces a quality item similar to fortress mode. extra money for decorations (mats could be supplied or bought)

also i've always liked the idea of player housing. maybe it'd be cool to purchase property in a town and perhaps buy the land and have a house built on it or purchase pre-existing housing (put those abandoned houses and furniture shops to use) and now with the new interactions system we could place furniture in our purchased homes. days of dfhacking or embark - dig - abandon adventure hideouts begon!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 12:59:40 am by mrchace »

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 01:13:15 am »

The whole 'adamantine guard' thing is not in the spirit of DF, as is the unreachable room. Those things are too game-y for Dwarf Fortress, which has always been more simulationist to me.
However, placing the high-value shop right next to the keep of a major city, where killing or stealing would be easily noticed by guards, would fit better. If the merchant himself is required to be a trained soldier/veteran, all the better.

Of course you can kill the merchant and/or steal all his good, but you'll soon have a load of guards on your ass unless you're really good at sneaking.
I don't know if the law systems are fixed so that you can steal things (or murder someone) without any witnesses and not be instantly known as a dangerous kill-on-sight criminal to everyone in the civ, however, so sneaking and stealing may or may not be advisable.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 03:51:30 am »

I assume it would already be a great help if armor merchants and weaponsmiths (which are already a rare find in DF adventure mode) generally were well stocked (instead of often having nothing at all) and if Bowyers would sell bows/xbows and ammunition, instead of usually having no ammunition at all

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 04:59:11 am »

Bowyers would sell bows/xbows and ammunition, instead of usually having no ammunition at all
What about fletchers?

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 05:02:58 am »

Bowyers would sell bows/xbows and ammunition, instead of usually having no ammunition at all
What about fletchers?

Never saw a shop for them in DF adventurer mode. Would definitely be a good idead to include it