Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: hmmm... melt ice for farming?  (Read 1035 times)

pbheadtemp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
hmmm... melt ice for farming?
« on: November 07, 2007, 10:26:00 pm »

in super cold maps... i am wondering if it is possible to somehow melt ice... my best guess is to channel out a forzen lake, steal the ice "stones" and then place the stone in a 1x1 ice only stockpile  (inside where its slightly less than frezeing  (it is warmer inside... right?), remove the stockpile, and then wait for the ice to melt, creating water, which then irrigates 1-7 tiles, depending on the water content of 1 ice cube... and then muddy tiles! great for farming up in the mountain tops or in glacars... or anyplace far from soil...  do you think it will work?

if not... i think i have a back up plan... build a channel right next to a inside magma source, put the ice block in there, and let the heat from the magma indirectly heat the ice block... and then bucket birgade... that should work too... perhaps?  (just hope my water doesnt freeze in the bucket... LOL)

(p.s. i am working on seed 32 (windows xp) map that i placed in the "perfect seed?" thread, bottom of page 3)  not only does this map have everything, but it also is a slighly harder challange than say... pauls map.

Its preety dam fail when you manage to type in your email address wrong twice in the same way in a row, and create an account you cant access.

Gangsta Spanksta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: hmmm... melt ice for farming?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 10:45:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by pbheadtemp:
<STRONG>in super cold maps... i am wondering if it is possible to somehow melt ice... my best guess is to channel out a forzen lake, steal the ice "stones" and then place the stone in a 1x1 ice only stockpile  (inside where its slightly less than frezeing  (it is warmer inside... right?), remove the stockpile, and then wait for the ice to melt, creating water, which then irrigates 1-7 tiles, depending on the water content of 1 ice cube... and then muddy tiles! great for farming up in the mountain tops or in glacars... or anyplace far from soil...  do you think it will work?

if not... i think i have a back up plan... build a channel right next to a inside magma source, put the ice block in there, and let the heat from the magma indirectly heat the ice block... and then bucket birgade... that should work too... perhaps?  (just hope my water doesnt freeze in the bucket... LOL)

(p.s. i am working on seed 32 (windows xp) map that i placed in the "perfect seed?" thread, bottom of page 3)  not only does this map have everything, but it also is a slighly harder challange than say... pauls map.</STRONG>

usually having a warm wall between magma and ice is not enought to unfreeze it.  You want to build a magma room underneat your water source.

I also hear dropping ice from long distances works.

pbheadtemp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: hmmm... melt ice for farming?
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 10:58:00 pm »

hmmm... ok... well these will all be very intresting expearments...

although, apperently not all of my biome is as crazy cold like i thought it was going to be... my ice sources have melted... :-/  guess i will have to wait till winter.

Its preety dam fail when you manage to type in your email address wrong twice in the same way in a row, and create an account you cant access.