Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Documentary on Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 2722 times)

tiresius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Documentary on Dwarf Fortress?
« on: February 20, 2012, 08:06:21 pm »

Hey folks-

Long time ago some documentary film maker (female?) was going to do something on Bay12 and Dwarf Fortress.  Even going to one of the meet-ups.  Did anything come about that?

Someone pointed me to this link and I got very excited, but it does not have DF.  Just some 3 popular indi platformers. 
http://www.indiegamethemovie.com/
I'll still buy it, sure, but I wish there was a film on DF.  The New York Times article last year was awesome, but I want more.
"There are no safe paths in this part of the world.  Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go." - Gandalf in The Hobbit

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Documentary on Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 09:34:51 pm »

Yeah, I always wondered what came of that.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 04:44:47 pm »

Where da Toady at? :C

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 05:35:38 pm »

http://www.indiegamethemovie.com/

Film Director Logic:
Facebook --> Film
Indie Games --> Film

How the hell can you make a film about a guy programming and drawing concept? It's ridiculous. Let's make a film about playing pong next, hurr.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 05:38:14 pm by Azkanan »
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 05:42:37 pm »

There's a docu called King of Kong.

Its about folks who have the world records for arcade machines.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 05:44:53 pm »

There's a docu called King of Kong.

Its about folks who have the world records for arcade machines.

Hey that film was actually pretty decent :P

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 05:48:27 pm »

How the hell can you make a film about a guy programming and drawing concept? It's ridiculous. Let's make a film about playing pong next, hurr.

You can make a film documentary about any form of labour. The process of creating work in other forms media isn't actually all that much more entertaining than computer programming. You just spend more time staring at attractive people when you're doing films than you do when you're making an indie game.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 11:39:33 pm »

I think it's cool that someone's trying to shine a little glory on the profession.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 11:48:49 pm »

I think it's cool that someone's trying to shine a little glory on the profession.
Eh. I'd rather it focused on the games with more depth than these, to be honest. "Indie games" =/= Platformers, I see nothing there that I was wowed by, so I don't see why I'd care about a documentary covering of the process to make it.

Dwarf Fortress, on the other hand...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 11:51:41 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

tiresius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 01:44:43 am »

Eh. I'd rather it focused on the games with more depth than these, to be honest. "Indie games" =/= Platformers, I see nothing there that I was wowed by, so I don't see why I'd care about a documentary covering of the process to make it.

Dwarf Fortress, on the other hand...
As a bedroom coder I still dream of breaking out and selling something I make.  It's interesting to see how other people (with far more talent than I, alright) get it done.  Besides, it's not about the product as much as it is about the people making the product.

I think DF is enough of a modern phenomenon that it would make a great documentary of its own: the scope of the game, the complexity of its mechanics already at 33% completion, creativity of the fanbase, forums, meetups, developer transparency, living off of the charity of your fans, Tarn and Zach's lifestyle.  It's all there.  Of course it could also point to some of the sandbox games inspired by DF (minecraft, goblin camp, and others).  I mean, it caught the eye of the freakin New York Times!
"There are no safe paths in this part of the world.  Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go." - Gandalf in The Hobbit

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 03:02:38 am »

The problem with translating it all to film is that there isn't really much to film.

The brothers sit around and talk about games and stuff. Toady writes some code and dances in his chair a little bit. A bunch of forum members get together and play Minecraft, or debate religion in a relatively civilized fashion without even knowing anything about the other people they interact with.

Bay12, its creators, games, and followers are interesting in an abstract way, but if someone tried doing it like How It's Made, it'd fall pretty flat.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.