Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: What attributes/stats are important for adventurers in 0.34.02?  (Read 18262 times)

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What attributes/stats are important for adventurers in 0.34.02?
« on: February 20, 2012, 05:43:47 pm »

First off, I guess disease resistance is less important, so long as you become undead before you die of infection.
Linguistic ability is definitely not something to detract from now, but should you add points to it? And how many points should you put into reader? I'd assume just up to novice or adequate, like swimming.

I guess this can just be a thread for discussing attributes and stats in adventure mode, both how the 2012 release compares to 2010, or just in general. Like, as an example of a question not exclusive to this release: which are better, hammers or maces?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 05:48:01 pm by truckman1 »
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's the point, it wouldn't be as fun to crush their souls if they didn't have souls to begin with.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What attributes/stats are important for adventurers in 0.34.02?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 05:47:57 pm »

Dodging seems to be extremly important, considering the hoistility of DF 2012s environment (and the fact that crossbowmen/archers seem to have become snipers)
also ambushing, in order to successfully sneak upon the enemies

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 05:48:39 pm »

Reading, if you ever want to become a necromancer.

Andal

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning! Fourth wall breached!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 06:12:58 pm »

And to follow up, I think it needs to be at least adequate for you to be able to read the secrets of life and death, or so I have heard.
When I was reorganizing my inventory to fit all by books on life and death into various bags and things, I looked at my inventory and saw that I was multigrasping a necromancer slab.  It was pretty hilarious.
I think that would be an excellent way to impart the critical lessons of life and death to the ignorant masses.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 06:18:45 pm »

Ambushing, maybe, because while it's simple to level, it takes forever to do so. At least start at novice.

I never put points in a weapon skill, because mining picks are so bad-ass. Put points in shield user, armor user and dodging. Maybe a few points in Fighter, but that levels pretty quick once you start killing stuff, preferably with a mining pick.

Kinesthetic sense is very important. This can be leveled with knapping, but it's kinda grindy to sit there and play with rocks all day to improve it. You can improve throwing while you are at it, though.

Isher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 06:19:29 pm »

And to follow up, I think it needs to be at least adequate for you to be able to read the secrets of life and death, or so I have heard.

F&*# I hope that is not true. Maybe there is something one can read that can increase one's ability if one is only barely literate?

Darkwind3

• Bay Watcher
  • Walks like an Egyptian
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 06:24:31 pm »

I've been able to make my character a necromancer as a novice reader, so it's not required (at least not always). My linguistic ability was Below Average as well (or maybe not, but it was at most merely Average), so dumping points into it isn't necessary. Extremely low linguistic ability might be a problem though. As a side note, reading doesn't seem to increase skill in Reading. Strange. Maybe that was because I was already a vampire, though?

As for myself, I try to spend at least a few points in both fighter and the weapon of my choice (adjusted for Archer and weapon if ranged, of course), as well as points in all of Armor User, Shield user and Dodger.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 06:25:04 pm »

F&*# I hope that is not true. Maybe there is something one can read that can increase one's ability if one is only barely literate?

Signs only give a message along the lines of "There's text here, but you can't read."

Felgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 06:25:24 pm »

I gave my guy competent skill in shield use, and so far he’s blocked every single crossbow bolt fired at him. I’d estimate that’s about 6-8 bolts as he’s only cleared out a nest of 15-20 bandits under a castle so far. So I’d say if you don’t mind sticking with one handed weapons, shield use is probably just as important as dodge.

I should note I made him adequate in dodge and observation, which I suspect helps him when it comes to getting his shield up in front of a bolt. Were I using two handed weapons, I’d forget putting anything in shield use and pump dodge way up.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 06:30:56 pm by Felgar »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 06:34:19 pm »

I can confirm that you can become a necromancer with Novice reading.

Also: Ambush, Observer, and (as always) Swimming are ones to put at least something into, along with a weapon skill, Shield, and Armor User. Ambush, Swimming, Throwing, Archer, and Fighter can all be trained very easily ingame and don't really need much in the way of points.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 06:35:33 pm »

What does Observer do?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's the point, it wouldn't be as fun to crush their souls if they didn't have souls to begin with.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 06:36:25 pm »

having a shield is a must if you want to survive your first bandit camp.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 06:36:30 pm »

Is there really any point in giving yourself Ambusher when a medium length walk would do the same thing?

Isher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 06:37:49 pm »

@Flying Dice - Thanks!

I had to train swimming from nothing to try to swim up a sewer drainpipe (wall to wall water, it didn't matter). It's really annoying but doable and easier now that you can get in and out of a river. I also accidentally trained a companion to swim up from nothing because she kept following me in. It's pretty amazing, she can keep up with me now.

I should note I made him adequate in dodge and observation, which I suspect helps him when it comes to getting his shield up in front of a bolt. Were I using two handed weapons, I’d forget putting anything in shield use and pump dodge way up.
There is some debate as to whether two handedness matters. I don't know either way but the last goblin that tried to dodge a bolt I threw dodged 3 flights down a stairwell. Sometimes you want doge turned off.

Meanwhile shield use is an extra opportunity to stop a bolt. I'd suggest keeping it. Meanwhile I've changed my mind about bolts/arrows. I think they're where they need to be at, but throwing needs a nerf and bolts don't need to chip 2 bones at once (and bones need fewer pain receptors, or other parts need more).

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 06:40:43 pm »

Also, a number of the 'Soul' attributes are no longer dump stats. IIRC, the ones that are still irrelevant are Musicality, Linguistic Ability, and Patience, though I may be wrong on that.

Is there really any point in giving yourself Ambusher when a medium length walk would do the same thing?

Not really, but if you end up with a small chunk of points left over from more important things, it can help speed up your early levelling in it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5