Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 39

Author Topic: Adventures on Monster Island  (Read 266615 times)

Tastysaurus Rex

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops!
    • View Profile
Re: Adventures on Monster Island
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 04:59:44 am »

Hell YES!!! This is the best fucking thread! You better believe I'm following this tale to the end!

I'm really looking forward to getting the seed to this gen, even if it means Vanod's journey probably reached a conclusion. That'll be a bittersweet day. I'm kinda new to how this seed thing works though. Would the world be exactly the same? Like down to the titans and stuff? Cuz that would be kinda lame actually. Guess it's my job to explore new ground though.
That wasn't technically a miscarriage, but the doctors didn't have a concise term for "gave birth and immediately baptized the baby in liquid fire."
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 05:33:18 am »

This was unexpectedly epic.

TheLinguist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 05:45:23 am »

There are actually four separate seed values: SEED (terrain, I think); HISTORY_SEED; NAME_SEED; and CREATURE_SEED.

So, afaik, it would be pretty straightforward to just omit the CREATURE_SEED and generate a similar, but not identical, adventure. The terrain would be much the same, yes, but the titans should be completely different.

I'm not entirely sure whether keeping the same SEED and NAME_SEED (but not CREATURE_SEED) would result in the same names for any historical figures that exist at year 1, however. Personally, I kinda hope it does have that result - it would be awesome to be able to compare notes on each world's Nganuz, for instance :).

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2012, 05:52:10 am »

Epic!
continue on whit this!

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Tastysaurus Rex

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2012, 06:17:29 am »

There are actually four separate seed values: SEED (terrain, I think); HISTORY_SEED; NAME_SEED; and CREATURE_SEED.

So, afaik, it would be pretty straightforward to just omit the CREATURE_SEED and generate a similar, but not identical, adventure. The terrain would be much the same, yes, but the titans should be completely different.

I'm not entirely sure whether keeping the same SEED and NAME_SEED (but not CREATURE_SEED) would result in the same names for any historical figures that exist at year 1, however. Personally, I kinda hope it does have that result - it would be awesome to be able to compare notes on each world's Nganuz, for instance :).

Ok, that is a valid point. Still it would be nice to know I can just rearrange it when I want a new challenge.

Either way thanks for clearing that up.
That wasn't technically a miscarriage, but the doctors didn't have a concise term for "gave birth and immediately baptized the baby in liquid fire."
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

TheLinguist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 08:06:41 am »

Ok, that is a valid point. Still it would be nice to know I can just rearrange it when I want a new challenge.

Yeah, unfortunately there's basically no way to change a DF world "just a little bit". World gen is a chaotic process, in the sense that a slight change early on can have huge repercussions later on - the "butterfly effect", as it's often known. Basically, your only options are to use the exact same seed; or try a different one, and hope that it results in a world that might share similar traits. So, you might be able to get another all-evil island world by using the same world gen parameters, but there's no way you'll be able to get another world that's like this one, but with slight terrain differences.

That being said, the fact that different processes use different seeds IS quite handy, since changing around the titans would at least provide some sense of variation to the world.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2012, 08:55:29 am »

Small question about titan gender confusion: Aren't chicken always female with rooster/cocks being male? Or is "chicken" in english language referring to both genders?

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2012, 09:19:26 am »

Oh my gawd, i love that story and your drawing. :D

mattyb3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2012, 10:18:06 am »

You could post the entire save folder, thus allowing everyone to have the same world?

Also, amazing drawings!!
I supose if a dwarf is unhappy or hurt they might have a miscarriage. Perhaps we could experiment a bit.

NedeN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2012, 12:50:42 pm »

Small question about titan gender confusion: Aren't chicken always female with rooster/cocks being male? Or is "chicken" in english language referring to both genders?

Well a "Hen" is a female chicken and "Rooster" is a male.

OP, loved reading your adventure so far, please continue its always a nice treat hearing about a great adventurer, especially a naked nomad carrying around shark pizza  8)
I watched a zombie dwarf tear off a girls dress and hit her with it so hard it became lodged in her skull.

Ghoulz - 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on carp insurance.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2012, 12:56:59 pm »

Well, in Finnish "kana"(which means chicken) is the term for female while there is no term for both male & female ones so it is kind of confusing here  :P
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 01:12:43 pm by MaskedMiner »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2012, 01:10:18 pm »

What is funny is the hero may get an unpleasant surprise later on.

Earwig

• Bay Watcher
  • the Awe-Inspiring Distraction
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2012, 01:26:06 pm »

Well, in Finnish "kana"(which means chicken) is the term for female while there is no term for both male & female ones so it is kind of confusing here  :P

Chicken is a gender-neutral term referring to the entire group of animals. As MaskedMiner said, "hen" is female, "rooster" or "cock" is male.

For instance, a "peacock" is actually referring to a male peafowl. It's just become shorthand to say "peacock" as the default word, because "peafowl" sounds a little... snobbish. The female of peafowl is peahen. Hopefully that help clears it up a little more. When I say "chicken", it doesn't specify gender in English, whereas if I had said "hen" or "rooster" from the start it would have.

Thanks for the response dudes! Hopefully Vanod continues to be awesome and doesn't die horribly in the next post or anything.
Like my story of Vanod wandering through Monster Island?

Please vote for it to be included in the Hall of Legends!

And please enjoy my grumpy guest appearance (Enir Twigappears) in the awesome The Littlest Cheesemaker story by evictedSaint!

NedeN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2012, 01:31:09 pm »

Chicken is a gender-neutral term referring to the entire group of animals. As MaskedMiner said, "hen" is female, "rooster" or "cock" is male.

For instance, a "peacock" is actually referring to a male peafowl. It's just become shorthand to say "peacock" as the default word, because "peafowl" sounds a little... snobbish. The female of peafowl is peahen. Hopefully that help clears it up a little more. When I say "chicken", it doesn't specify gender in English, whereas if I had said "hen" or "rooster" from the start it would have.

Thanks for the response dudes! Hopefully Vanod continues to be awesome and doesn't die horribly in the next post or anything.

You actually inspired me to make a badass outsider, granted my encounter with a titan was one-shotted by one of my crossbowman and then I was brutally murdered in a tomb... still it was awesome
I watched a zombie dwarf tear off a girls dress and hit her with it so hard it became lodged in her skull.

Ghoulz - 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on carp insurance.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2012, 02:06:44 pm »

Yeah, unfortunately there's basically no way to change a DF world "just a little bit". World gen is a chaotic process, in the sense that a slight change early on can have huge repercussions later on - the "butterfly effect", as it's often known. Basically, your only options are to use the exact same seed; or try a different one, and hope that it results in a world that might share similar traits. So, you might be able to get another all-evil island world by using the same world gen parameters, but there's no way you'll be able to get another world that's like this one, but with slight terrain differences.

That being said, the fact that different processes use different seeds IS quite handy, since changing around the titans would at least provide some sense of variation to the world.

You could always use perfectworlddf to create a maximum evil island, and if its far enough from other civs the only chance of anybody settling there would be kobolds and goblins.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 39