Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 39

Author Topic: Adventures on Monster Island  (Read 266612 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Adventures on Monster Island
« Reply #480 on: February 23, 2015, 11:25:37 am »

Hell, I actually read through this and various other threads some time back but didn't start actually playing until 40.06 I think, and didn't start posting until some time afterwards anyways, so the link between "Vanod" and "Earwig" wasn't clicking at all.

Hell, this story is one of the ones that really got the missus hooked on the crazy hijinks that take place, the whole "come on Heather... I just want to talk..." "It's heart is broken." stuff killed her.

I feel like what just happened on my own monster island(s... there are two because I had too many lairs for one island apparently >.<, this took place on the second) would have been better served by an artist like yourself and a more serious spin... but I just reached the crappiest summit ever, like seriously going up a couple flights of stairs counts now?

Well, at the top apparently there was a lair... ON THE RIM OF A VOLCANO... ok, maybe the summit is not so crappy... and what do I find there?

Hydra 1: Hey, 2, 3! Do you hear that?
Hydra 2: *quietly mutters "nononononono" to itself*
Hydra 3: Is that... an adventurer?
Hydra 1: It is! Now, like we practiced... ready?
Hydra 2: *still muttering "nonononono" to itself*
Hydra 3: Wait, so we yell "HYDRAS" and then charge?
Hydra 1: No! We yell "HYDRA" and charge.
Hydra 3: Ok, but there are more than one of us, are we trying to confuse th-
Hydra 1: No! We are hydras, and our organization is called HYDRA, which stands for Hydras ...uh... either of you know how to spell?
Hydra 2: *still muttering "nonononono" quietly*
Hydra 3: *looks sheepishly at itself, then back to 1* Nope, can't say I do.
Hydra 1: Well hellfire and damnation, didn't I put one of you on learning how to do that while I came up with the battlecry and group name?
Hydra 3: *turns and looks at 2*
Hydra 1: ...
Hydra 3: ...
Hydra 2: *mutters "nononononono" quietly*
Hydra 1: I guess 21 heads really aren't better than 7 after all, huh?
*adventurer murdertime takes place about here*
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 06:58:45 pm by Max™ »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: February 23, 2015, 01:13:28 pm »

Holy crap content updates. This is a good day.

Earwig

• Bay Watcher
  • the Awe-Inspiring Distraction
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: February 23, 2015, 08:11:52 pm »

Aleni feels a sharp sting through her foot, and leaps, roaring terribly. Stalactites crack and clatter through the deep hollow, and her friends who lay among her stir from their communal daze with long, ponderous groans.

She scampers back away from the source of the sting, losing gouts of giantish blood into the black sand.

She couldn't find the words to describe her shock and anguish. She had never been hurt before. Her tantrum shakes the walls and floors, and several giants quickly pull her into a shushing pile of embracing limbs that soothes her and drops her whining into hoarse breathing.

Aleni inspects Aleni's foot- it is stabbed clean through, tissues torn beyond use at a cruel angle. She gestures for Aleni to rest; it is fine. It must be fine. It will get unhurt with sleep.

Solemn, Tequil looks out at the tunnel to the entrance. Did an undead get in?

====

The faint blue light that trickles into the cavern fades into night, and the undead harpies begin their raucous nightcalls outside.

Tequil and Rede talk animatedly, Zilar giving soft grunts every so often.

Could the undead sense them in the caves now? Tequil moans in despair.

No, no, no. Zilar grunts.

Did an animal from the clean-waters do this?

No, they water-breathe. Rede gestures. They cannot reach here.

Did a night creature do it?

No. Night creatures friends. Zilar rumbles.

The Three sit, pondering in mute frustration.

Then there is another howl, but this one is not physical pain. Aleni clutches at Aleni's body, her hands covered in blood.

Aleni is dead.

Mata grunts: she saw a small thing in the dark. It stood on Aleni's chest as her red came out of her neck and got all in her gross hair. It looked right at her and she looked right at it.

She just thought she was having a dream.

Rede asks her what the tiny thing looked like.

She said it was like a little Giant, but goofy looking with funny proportions. It was holding a sharp looking skinny stick thing, that glowed orange in the dark, or like, whatever.

Rede asks her if she saw which way it went.

She doesn't fucking know, gosh.

Rede rolls his eyes in frustration.

Zotho says that Mata is really smart and pretty and very alert about details. Zotho says if she'd like he would enjoy maybe taking her out--

Dude, come the fuck on. Mata scratches her belly. It's been like a thousand years of telling you it's not gonna happen.
Mata lays down on a rock and goes back to sleep. Zotho pokes at the ground awkwardly.

Vanod thirstily licks the blood off of his hands.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 11:54:37 pm by Earwig »
Like my story of Vanod wandering through Monster Island?

Please vote for it to be included in the Hall of Legends!

And please enjoy my grumpy guest appearance (Enir Twigappears) in the awesome The Littlest Cheesemaker story by evictedSaint!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: February 23, 2015, 10:03:33 pm »

Metal.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: February 24, 2015, 03:15:27 am »

So this is what it's like to be a bogeyman.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: February 24, 2015, 10:23:48 am »

Great to see this thread back to life, and always such amazing artwork from Earwig.
Wish i had even half of his talent.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: February 24, 2015, 04:13:53 pm »

Oh wow. I was not expecting the game to get revived, literally just yesterday.

Now it's getting me tempted to resume experimenting with monster islands in DF2014. The changes to undead kinda make them impossible killmachines though.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: February 24, 2015, 04:27:58 pm »

Basic undead are stronger but husks are weaker. Weaker as in they can be killed by normal means.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: February 24, 2015, 05:20:24 pm »

If any one country controlled Vanod, why, they would control the world.
thincake

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: February 24, 2015, 06:43:37 pm »

Basic undead are stronger but husks are weaker. Weaker as in they can be killed by normal means.

The world, the world has become ass-backwards. ;w;

Actually you can kill the undead...if you're a bronze colossus wielding a silver...um...either flail or mace, I did some !!SCIENCE!! on it once.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: February 24, 2015, 10:44:45 pm »

Redead Undead Corpse Corpse Recipe:

Ingredients:
~1 Battle Axe, preferably good quality and better metal than copper.
~2 Hands.
~1+ Shield(s), stir liberally, you can't go wrong with more than 1!

Preparation:
~Find your rotting friends and get their attention, hurling something at them works well. After they notice you, RUN LIKE HELL, keep at it until they line up nice and orderly, and let them come to you! Do not rush into a swarm of overactive corpses if you aren't sure you're going to survive. Pro-tip: if you needed this recipe you won't survive.

~When they get just close enough to engage, take your axe and chop the most inviting head or hand available off, while dodging away from the line, it's ok if you miss, they'll keep chasing you, trust me. Repeat two or three times, and don't worry if there is a necromancer around trying to reanimate the bits you're removing: a good solid kick is surprisingly devastating when you resemble a soccer ball or Thing.

~Advanced preparation method: add another axe and a bit of flair!

Earwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: February 26, 2015, 09:50:41 am »

May be a few days. Been dealing with insomnia and commissions (bad combo)! My birthday is on Saturday so I want to make sure I get lots of work done before then so I can enjoy it more! I'll be turning 95.

As far as the game goes:

Nutcertain has been the hardest moment of Vanod's life.

It's what single-handedly killed my forward momentum with the game a few years ago.

Eventually I had to take every small victory as something to save. Saving mid-fight, as you know, is incredibly dangerous.

But I was so sick of starting again and again and again. I was finally resigned to my fate.

Then, I killed one Giant. Aleni.

Finally.

Every other savescum experience ended in me going in and immediately dying horribly. I refused to just sit 4 squares away throwing sand until I leveled up my Throwing skill.

I was determined- if I'm going to play Vanod, really play Vanod, I need to bathe in blood. I need him stabbing anything he could until he was shattered beyond recognition.

If he dies here, so be it. Vanod got to drink Giant blood. That alone is worth it.  8)

And please enjoy my grumpy guest appearance (Enir Twigappears) in the awesome The Littlest Cheesemaker story by evictedSaint!

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: February 26, 2015, 09:55:56 am »

May be a few days. Been dealing with insomnia and commissions (bad combo)! My birthday is on Saturday so I want to make sure I get lots of work done before then so I can enjoy it more! I'll be turning 95.

As far as the game goes:

Nutcertain has been the hardest moment of Vanod's life.

It's what single-handedly killed my forward momentum with the game a few years ago.

Eventually I had to take every small victory as something to save. Saving mid-fight, as you know, is incredibly dangerous.

But I was so sick of starting again and again and again. I was finally resigned to my fate.

Then, I killed one Giant. Aleni.

Finally.

Every other savescum experience ended in me going in and immediately dying horribly. I refused to just sit 4 squares away throwing sand until I leveled up my Throwing skill.

I was determined- if I'm going to play Vanod, really play Vanod, I need to bathe in blood. I need him stabbing anything he could until he was shattered beyond recognition.

If he dies here, so be it. Vanod got to drink Giant blood. That alone is worth it.  8)

...ouch. That does explain the haitus. I seem to be used to savescumming when I'd toying around with deranged world-gen settings or mods. owo

As for more recent things, hope you'll be alright, that the commissions go well, and an early happy birthday.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: February 26, 2015, 11:50:03 am »

Indeed, as an early birthday present I am pretty sure Vanod will be enshrined in the Hall of Legends now, as I count more than the required number of votes last I checked, my first one was for it actually, so there ya go!

Also, uh, 95? Weird typo, joke or are you actually old enough to have dated and been banged by Betty White back in the day?

Earwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: February 26, 2015, 11:54:44 am »

Indeed, as an early birthday present I am pretty sure Vanod will be enshrined in the Hall of Legends now, as I count more than the required number of votes last I checked, my first one was for it actually, so there ya go!

Also, uh, 95? Weird typo, joke or are you actually old enough to have dated and been banged by Betty White back in the day?

I've been watching that. Very awesome stuff.

Joking around!  ;) Gonna be 28.

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 39