Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Merchant can.t stop unloading  (Read 1740 times)

Gislamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Merchant can.t stop unloading
« on: November 07, 2007, 08:10:00 pm »

The last two merchants to come to m y fortress have been unable to unload all their goods. I am thinking that their wagon or something doesent get there on time. Any tips? A road maybe?

JuliusC

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant can.t stop unloading
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 09:26:00 pm »

A trader must be present at the trade depot to allow the trade action - is that the case?

Gislamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 09:31:00 pm »

Yes, I've tries to trade, but the merchant answers he's not ready yet.
However I have found the problem.I beleive the wagon from the last human caravan had problems and arrived waaay after the merchants, since the lastest dwarf convoy to come did not seem to have any problems.

Hakar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 10:05:00 am »

Human caravans take ages to fully arive, and often leave before you can trade.
A dwarf's unfailing capacity to believe what he prefers to be true rather than what the evidence shows to be likely and possible has always astounded me. We long for a caring Fortress which will save us from our childish mistakes, and in the face of mountains of evidence to the contrary we will pin all our hopes on the slimmest of doubts. Gold has not been proven not to exist, therefore it must exist.
Philosopher Prokhor Zakharov,
"For I Have Tasted The Plump Helmet"

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 11:00:00 am »

Workaround is to build trade depots near the edges of the map. But it's a crummy workaround.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 11:17:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Gislamo:
<STRONG>The last two merchants to come to m y fortress have been unable to unload all their goods. I am thinking that their wagon or something doesent get there on time. Any tips? A road maybe?</STRONG>

The wagon must be there before they will trade. Make sure you cut trees/flatten boulders in a 3 wide route towards the edges and you shouldn't have a problem.

Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Elvenshae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 11:53:00 am »

I'm having a similar problem, but in my case it's exacerbated by the fact that the humans keep showing up on different areas of the map.

I just built a freakishly long slate block road all the way to the northeast corner of the map, only to have this season's humans decide to show up in the northwest corner, necessitating lots of driving around trees.

This does not include the three camels who came from the *south*.

Very annoying!

Also, is any else's broker as lazy as mine?  I request him at the trade depot (all tasks other than cleaning turned off), and what does he do?

Takes a nap, then drinks, then eats, then goes on break, then conducts a meeting, then goes on break ... and now the humans are about to leave.

Ridiculous!

Patryn of Elvenshae