Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12

Author Topic: Wargame European Escelation  (Read 29625 times)

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
Re: Wargame European Escelation
« Reply #90 on: March 06, 2012, 12:46:02 pm »

True enough, artillery spam is useless. I just recently won a game where the enemy team had around 20 artillery pieces. During the assault on one control point I killed nine units... and scored 15% of our team's final score. That artillery scored the enemy 1.75% of their final score...

Nice work.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 06, 2012, 03:29:31 pm »

Maybe it would help if you guys roughly point out your point investment, instead of just listing all units in the game, yes?
Okay, if you want...

NATO
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'll post PACT sometime later if anyone is interested.

Chaosgabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 06, 2012, 04:25:21 pm »

Ah, that will take a while to get there. To the Wargamemobile!
Old soldiers never die, they just fade away.

010100000101001001000101010100000100000101010010010001010010000001010100010011110010
000001000100010010010100010100101100001000000100111000110000001100000100001000101110

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AirXgJdhuyq6dHNvWVVsZWF6S2xuZzdkSi1xSUdPeVE&hl=de#gid=0

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 07, 2012, 12:14:27 am »

Just lost a battle... First time I have lost a map in a long time (normally it is a teammate that fails big, giving up points with unprotected command vehicles and such when I lose).
It was pitiful... I was outplayed each step of the way. My flank just couldn't advance... I tried and tried and tried but failed each time. Opponent used a mix of infantry and tanks, but managed to keep his tanks hidden on the edge of a wood... I couldn't root them out. When I brought in flame units I couldn't get in range to use them front on. When I tried flanking with them he (I realize it was dumb luck on his part now, having seen the replay) still managed to spot them and destroy them in one swift artillery rocket barrage. But at the time I assumed he had spetsnaz spotters in the wood I tried to flank at (he didn't, it was a one in a million lucky spot is all, due to right place right time sort of a thing) so I gave up on further flanks there.
But, I refuse to lose like a loser... Instead i will lose like a student. I have examined the replay and come to the conclusion that "good" optics on my ground recon accompanying my main force is not good enough. I need to pay more for better, or deploy more special forces recon that can get in closer without being spotted themselves... Are there any "very good" optics NATO ground recon vehicles anyone can suggest (if there are any at all, I neglected to check the armory before shutting the game down)?
I still feel comfortable using "good" optics on my flank recon, but I think I need better for my main front in order to avoid situations like this last game. The enemy employed a "very good" optic recon vehicle with on the edge of the woods but also had several spetsnaz units scattered in tree clumps and hedge rows to provide extra recon coverage. I couldn't get in close enough to spot his spetsnaz without getting decimated by his tank line, though. And, even after I utilized mortars (OMG Goron using arty?!?!) I couldn't root him out, watching the replay I see he just backed off his tanks each time and redeployed to a little over, negating my blind fire.
If I was more comfortable with my own recon situation I would have fired the mortars to get him to displace then charge forward, but since I had no clue what I'd be charging into I chose not to pursue that option... It may have worked, though.

It is tough, I am used to great kill/death ratios, it's hard on me to do poorly:-(
(game before this one I was 67% kills and 11% casualties for my team^_^)

EDIT: excuse my poor formatting/spelling/grammar; wrote on iPad
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 12:33:41 am by Goron »

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 07, 2012, 12:51:29 am »

Posting to say that I've loved this game since release day. It feels like I'm actually playing a tabletop wargame, without forcing me to spend $100 to field an army, and frankly, that's awesome.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 07, 2012, 01:05:57 am »

Well, as umiman posted his NATO deck, I suppose I can post what my Pact deck is like.

Keep in mind, I also have all the variants to everything in it.

If you have any hints on how ot make this better, please tell :P

When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 07, 2012, 05:29:20 am »

The wiki speaks this, would you agree with the weaknesses & Strengths?

Warsaw Pact

I take pact over nato whenever I can, just better and with max-macro-micro that fits my playstyle.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 07, 2012, 11:21:20 am »

As far as I'm concerned, for PACT, Russia itself has the best of everything with a few minor exceptions.

All the other client states tend to have better infantry though. That's about it. Oh, and for some reason the East German Hinds are cheaper (though you only get the first two types). Sure, some client states get some different artillery... but they're all worse than the Soviet ones in every way, from cost to accuracy to power. =|

It's all quite clear from the numbers and from history too. Anyone trying to come up with some clean explanation to justify having a diverse deck as PACT is clearly nuts. If they wanted to get a little of everything, they'd be playing NATO. With PACT, 90% of your stuff with be Russian. Hell, technically 100% of the stuff is Russian since it's all lend-lease.

Tl;dr: For PACT, everything except infantry is basically reskins of Russian stuff.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 07, 2012, 06:41:45 pm »

patch

GENERIC:

- Readjustment of certain realistic payloads ammunition for armored cars (20-30mm).
- The minimum range for at least 1 AP damage is reduced: small AP will now have to approach much closer to inflict damage.
- Fixed issue likely to hit is too high, affecting units level 3 and 4.

NATO:

- Availability of Chasseur FAMAS decreases from 32 to 20.
- Availability of the Legion FAMAS decreases from 16 to 12.
- Availability of 2e FAMAS REP decreases from 12 to 8.
- The accuracy of Canon XM-150 of the MBT-70 decreases from 9 to 7.
- Cost of KPZ 70 has decreased by 5 deployment points.
- The speed of the UH-1M gunship increases from 175 km/h to 300 km/h. (error that does not take into account the new engines, such as UH-1D).
- Increased the M150 RoF to put on an equal footing with other vehicles to load external ATGM.
- Cost of UH-1C Heavy Hog has decreased by 5 deployment points.
- Cost of UH-1M Gunship has decreased by 5 deployment points.
- M551 Sheridan Speed increases by 5 km/h.
- M551A1 Sheridan Speed increases by 5 km/h.
- Improved optical M551 Sheridan to Normal.
- Improved optical M551A1 Sheridan to Normal.

PACT :

- Decreased range of recoilless Tarasnice (OT-62 OT & TOPS-2A-65 Vydra) to 1000.
- Cost of T-62M-1 has increased by 5 deployment points.
- Cost of T-62M-V has increased by 10 deployment points.
- Cost of Spadochroniarze has increased by 5 deployment points.
- Availability of Vysadkaru decreases from 20 to 8.
- Increased the RoF UAZ-469 Konkurs to put on an equal footing with other vehicles to load external ATGM.

NOTICE : If you did the XP SP3 compatibility workaround under windows 7/Vista, it's worth trying to undo that, because we fixed issues concerning this. This will allow you to run DX11 again.
DX11 provides higher performance on modern GPUS, plus AntiAliasing compatible SSAO and motion blur.

Fix : DX11 crash running with Fraps, TeamSpeak, or other overlays.
Fix : Mouse disappearing or clamped to a small region with Windows Vista/7 and font/icon magnification
Fix : DX11 crash in some cases.
Glitch Fix : Low brightness with graphics settings on Very Low.
Glitch Fix : VSync on as default setting.
Glitch Fix : Units are not blurred when you use the track cam.
Glitch Fix : On some graphics cards, when running DX9, trees and grass were a bit clipped on the top/sides.
Glitch Fix : Less flickering when max video memory has been reached.
Improvement : Improved tree/grass rendering performance.
Improvement : Large performance increase on nvidia graphics cards (up to +60% FPS) when you used Autodetect settings. As a rule, avoid manually setting the Instancing Mode to Hardware Instancing on nvidia cards.
Improvement : Tweaks on the graphics settings autodetection.
Improvement : The ground quality setting now adjusts the distance at which the trees pop. No need to hack the Option.ini anymore.
Improvement : The units are nicer when you run on low/very low graphics settings.
Improvement : The game generally uses a bit less video memory - so it will tolerate better graphics settings on powerful but low memory GPUs.
Improvement : The outgame GUI FPS is largely increased on old GPUs.
Improvement : The objects and textures appear faster on dual core systems.
Compatibility : If for some reason, the game fails to boot on DX11 under vista/7, it will show a dialog box allowing you to run in default settings mode with DX9 (DX11 can be enabled again through the options menu).
Compatiblity : Better crossfire support with DX9 under Vista/7.
Compatiblity : Disappearing trees fixed on NVidia 7xxx series.
Compatiblity : Shadows fixed on NVidia 7xxx series.
Geek Stuff : you can disable the Camera Flare in the Option.ini if you really want to. (RenderLensFlare = false)

Chaosgabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 07, 2012, 07:57:40 pm »

Ah yeah, just patched.
So did a few mp matches yesterday and i fear i´m getting to old for this whole competitive computer games biz. Shame, really. But i am just way too slow. I managed to win a round with a competent teammate against 2 very new players. But i was a bloody struggle, with loads of dead infantery (as soon as they left the forests ^^).
Fun nevertheless, Muffin has a very good point there. Ill have to watch some replays too, should be even more relaxing to see all those explosions without having to worry about the vehicle in question is mine or his. ^^
Old soldiers never die, they just fade away.

010100000101001001000101010100000100000101010010010001010010000001010100010011110010
000001000100010010010100010100101100001000000100111000110000001100000100001000101110

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AirXgJdhuyq6dHNvWVVsZWF6S2xuZzdkSi1xSUdPeVE&hl=de#gid=0

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 07, 2012, 08:33:57 pm »

I can upload our Bay12 replays if you want to see them. I say Bay12 but it's only me and Nilocy right now because we haven't run into anyone else.

They are very entertaining I can promise you and use a lot of nonstandard tactics. For example, the most recent one involved actual combined arms! A little bit of tanks, a little AT, a little AA, a little recon, a little infantry, etc. and we steamrolled an enemy force more than twice our size in a frenetic, head on field battle that never ended until the game itself ended.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 07, 2012, 08:44:22 pm »

I can upload our Bay12 replays if you want to see them. I say Bay12 but it's only me and Nilocy right now because we haven't run into anyone else.

They are very entertaining I can promise you and use a lot of nonstandard tactics. For example, the most recent one involved actual combined arms! A little bit of tanks, a little AT, a little AA, a little recon, a little infantry, etc. and we steamrolled an enemy force more than twice our size in a frenetic, head on field battle that never ended until the game itself ended.

Ahbrams too stronk. I don't think I lost one in both games.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 08, 2012, 12:24:18 am »

I say Bay12 but it's only me and Nilocy right now because we haven't run into anyone else.

I'm also part of it. I just never see either of you two online :/

But hey, finally the track cam motion blur is removed :)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 08, 2012, 01:54:11 am »

Oliolli, what's your Steam ID? I think that one is easier to use to track.

Anyway, I did a writeup on our most recent game because I thought it was a particularly good match. It was very short, at 15 minutes, and very frenetic as our attack never stopped until the enemy surrendered. Not to mention it was only the second time we used our combined arms strategy in actual matches. Well, for me anyway, I don't know whether Nilocy employs combined arms like I do. Specifically, I don't spam anything, but rather get a little of everything to form a strong force that moves together and can battle any situation. Here's how it turned out (with lots of pictures!).

Isn't this interesting? Broken down like this and written into a report, our actions were boiled down into objectives even though it was multiplayer with no one giving actual objectives but ourselves. In a sense, you could say this game was very much like a campaign mission where we had to:

1. Take and hold Delta
2. Clear the forest and secure the flank
3. Repel the enemy counterattack
4. Take Echo
5. Survive the enemy counterattack
6. Cripple the enemy

And yes. We actually organized all these goals in game. I would discuss with Nilocy what our goals were in the beginning, then in-game I would change our directive or issue new objectives as we went in the exact way I described in the write up. Nilocy would also give his input (such as the tactical retreat) and we'd coordinate on those lines.

It's very fun. I don't think I've ever played a multiplayer game where we set goals like actual COs. Mostly it's just "smack the enemy until he dies".

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 08, 2012, 09:26:36 am »

I quickly went through and found all the user ids of players in this thread. Keyword being 'quickly' so I may have missed some.
Here they are:

umiman
GAME ID: Umiman

warhammer651
GAME ID:warhammer651

Oliolli
GAME ID: Oliolli
STEAM ID: Oliolli

Nilocy
Game ID: Nilocy
Steam ID: Nilocy

Chaosgabe
Steam ID: Chaosgabe

Me (Goron):
Game ID: Asterix909
Steam ID: Asterix909

I know some of you use steam for communication but I didn't notice any listed steam ids during my scan. Feel free to add me.

I am on a three game losing streak (actually there may have been a win in there but whatever). Unlike the one I went on a rant about a few posts back, these I do not believe can be blamed only on me sucking:-) But sadly I also cannot soley blame a teammate for failure either, which is my normal excuse (and I don't worry when I lose a game that my teammate lets five command vehicles be blindly killed in, for example).
Possibly not coincidentally I have been playing NATO a lot recently (normally I am dumped in PACT since NATO is almost always full, I don't mind)... perhaps I am not as familiar with my NATO deck or something...
But whatever is up, I want to get my edge back and I figure some good ol' teammwork is what I need.
In other words I'd like to try playing a few games with teammates I feel I can communicate with, aka you guys. Just don't mind me when I start bitching you out for sending command vehicles to their death, thats an irritant to my heart. Command vehicles get destroyed, yes, but when you send them on suicide charges into enemy forces, thats just plain stupid.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 08:17:21 pm by Goron »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12