Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12

Author Topic: Wargame European Escelation  (Read 29624 times)

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
Re: Wargame European Escelation
« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2012, 10:42:49 am »

Well, I have seen an ATAKA V been fired on the move, as in flying over an enemy tank without the missiles diabled, the chopper just flew right on and dropped the missile. It was a direct hit. Don't see any reason why it couldn't be fired and then the area left. Have the same stats as Hellfires as well.

Expensive as hell, though  >:(

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2012, 11:28:58 am »

I still feel dirty when I drop special forces inf behind enemy lines and punch there arty/command vehicle.
It does feel nice... Except when someone does it to your teammate(s)... Had a most frustrating game last night when teammates sent two unguarded command jeeps alone to distant zones... And then left the initial spawn completely unguarded despite having support there...
That was the first time I took my AA support away from the spawn zone- that will also be the last time I ever do that again. Even when a teammate says they will hold it, I will leave defensive units...
We still won, though... Which was nice.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2012, 03:22:10 pm »

Well, I have seen an ATAKA V been fired on the move, as in flying over an enemy tank without the missiles diabled, the chopper just flew right on and dropped the missile. It was a direct hit. Don't see any reason why it couldn't be fired and then the area left. Have the same stats as Hellfires as well.

Expensive as hell, though  >:(
I don't think it's fire and forget. Only Hellfires are (So Kiowa and Apache).

But I know what you mean. It's just really accurate.

Chaosgabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2012, 05:31:44 pm »

Ok, i did cave in. Usually iŽd have waited for the game to be discounted, but i fear that there will be no decent population left for the multiplayer by then.
Any tips for a "not bad" WiC player on how to build your deck/progress in the unlocks?

Edit: I prefered the Armor and Support (AA) class in WiC
Old soldiers never die, they just fade away.

010100000101001001000101010100000100000101010010010001010010000001010100010011110010
000001000100010010010100010100101100001000000100111000110000001100000100001000101110

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AirXgJdhuyq6dHNvWVVsZWF6S2xuZzdkSi1xSUdPeVE&hl=de#gid=0

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2012, 07:00:37 pm »

Ok, i did cave in. Usually iŽd have waited for the game to be discounted, but i fear that there will be no decent population left for the multiplayer by then.
Any tips for a "not bad" WiC player on how to build your deck/progress in the unlocks?

I just started playing with the starter deck... Then, as I played I'd unlock the unit I wished I had most from the last game... It worked pretty well! I did complete the first single player mission for a quick boost to stars, too. Buts that's it for sp.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2012, 07:17:18 pm »

It's different depending on whether you're NATO or PACT. Very different playstyles too.

PACT is very much about the rush and the blob of doom. NATO units tend to be more specialized (and expensive). These are just generalizations, since you can honestly build whatever deck however you want and do whatever you want... but generally it's like that.

For starter tanks, I definitely recommend the MBT-70 for NATO and the T-62 for PACT. Also grab the Motorstrelcki for PACT in either their BMPs or SKOTs. BMP is probably the best cost-wise APC in the entire game as for 10 cost it gives you a good missile and a tank cannon whereas the SKOT costs barely nothing but zooms around the map at 105km/h. Important when everything else can barely manage a measly 70km/h. The idea is to suicide the SKOTs into the enemy line so the infantry can wreck havoc while you keep the BMPs at the back to rain fire, so whichever works better for you. NATO French infantry tend to be better than others, but you should browse through the list to see what fits your needs the best. Just don't grab anything too expensive (Bradley-equipped infantry cost as much as a heavy tank and are dubious in their use). I personally prefer cheap and fast since it lets me fill gaps and respond faster, but that's just my opinion.

For AA, range is king of everything. The further away it can shoot the better. If it reaches something like 2.8km range then it's perfect since that's how far away helis can get before they start shooting. For AA guns themselves, caliber is also an issue as an AA quad autocannon may shoot an impressive 1000 something rounds per minute... but if it shoots tiny bullets, then it's completely pointless. Hinds don't give a crap about tiny caliber and neither do Apaches.

Artillery is honestly your choice. NATO have mortars which are shorter range but more accurate and more reliable (shorter range means they land faster). PACT have a wider selection of rocket artillery as well as the mass-murdering Buratino. In this game, you can't randomly fire artillery without spotters too (well, you can but you won't hit anything), so don't waste ammo on things you can't see. If you CAN see something, then chances are whatever is targeted is dead. Especially if you have big artillery like the PACT Pion / Malka which can actually blow up tanks. Smaller caliber stuff is usually for stunning and routing enemies, which they are extremely good at.

I'm not sure what else an artilleryman needs to know.

Oh yeah, grab some aerial recon. Preferably with exceptional optics so they can see further. The Kiowa Warrior has Hellfire missiles which turn it from a passive recon unit to an aggresive sniper. Could be useful to you if you like to poke at the enemy.

Chaosgabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2012, 08:30:10 pm »

Ok, thanks a lot. Ill do a few more sp missions to get some Mortars and an air scout and then ill go annoy some future teammates in multiplayer.
Singleplayer teaches you bad habits in those games, iŽd like to get into mp as soon as possible therefore. I will earn stars in the mp games too?
Old soldiers never die, they just fade away.

010100000101001001000101010100000100000101010010010001010010000001010100010011110010
000001000100010010010100010100101100001000000100111000110000001100000100001000101110

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AirXgJdhuyq6dHNvWVVsZWF6S2xuZzdkSi1xSUdPeVE&hl=de#gid=0

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2012, 08:49:30 pm »

Yeah. You'll get way more stars than you need in either, so don't feel rushed.

As long as you have a full deck with a little of everything you should be fine.

Ideally:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My personal deck is something like:

I like cheap things and only one or two expensive units out at any time. The whole, "better to have one in hand than two in the bush" sort of thing.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 06, 2012, 03:46:36 am »

I am primarily a NATO player. A few units I have found useful:

Chasseur FAMAS, cheap and good vs other infantry and chopper when defending forest.

Marder VST-1, cheap and very effective against tanks rush if positioned properly behind your main defensive line.

Delta Force (mine deployed in Blackhawk), sneak them behind enemy line, get them to spot enemy command vehicles or artillery units. In a forest, they do great even against units with rapidly firing cannon (AA units) and mid-tier tanks. Just don't let them face flame tanks!

That AMX artillery, fires rapidly and accurately. Nuff said.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 06, 2012, 04:08:43 am »

I'd agree that Motorstrelcki  (10 points) are certainly one of the pacts biggest advantage, infact you can just buy 400 points worth of them and put 1 000 into arty (+extra fob, 100$) and shamelessly pound away. The flametanks are also a must have, as a singleone can basically clear any city/forest of inf with ease and can stunlock (and kill) basically any tank that shows up.

Dirt cheap Motorstrelcki will eat your enemys ammo/supplys up because they are such a extreme pain to kill and get out of a forest/city and can still be "cost effective" if they don't even kill a single thing. Helis that come close get mowed down, ditto for tanks & inf.

How are you guys hanging on actions per minute? 16,8 here

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 06, 2012, 04:49:40 am »

Oh yeah. Flametanks. Flametanks definitely. Shit is crazy in a forest. I think only arty can ever get it out.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2012, 05:47:41 am »

I'd agree that Motorstrelcki  (10 points) are certainly one of the pacts biggest advantage, infact you can just buy 400 points worth of them and put 1 000 into arty (+extra fob, 100$) and shamelessly pound away. The flametanks are also a must have, as a singleone can basically clear any city/forest of inf with ease and can stunlock (and kill) basically any tank that shows up.

Dirt cheap Motorstrelcki will eat your enemys ammo/supplys up because they are such a extreme pain to kill and get out of a forest/city and can still be "cost effective" if they don't even kill a single thing. Helis that come close get mowed down, ditto for tanks & inf.

How are you guys hanging on actions per minute? 16,8 here

I certainly agree except having that many is micromanaging hell! Probably just my style of play, I like to setup defensive line then micro a small assault force.

Anyway BMP-1 spam is quite effective.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2012, 08:37:54 am »

My personal deck is something like:

My decks go by these lines:

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2012, 09:12:06 am »

Maybe it would help if you guys roughly point out your point investment, instead of just listing all units in the game, yes?

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 06, 2012, 10:55:02 am »

My true opinion? Ignore these guys saying to buy lots of artillery. I have yet to lose to a player that buys more than one or two mortars/arty pieces (that doesnt have a competent teammate that wins it for them). They are useless against a halfway decent player.
Your arty can't hit crap if it cannot see it... I shoot down your recon helis and blow up your recon vehicles. I then flank your arty with an infantry force that you don't see coming (because you wasted all your points on big guns) and I get tons of points blowing your pointless arty up because you likely were dumb enough to not leave behind a strong defense.
If you blind fire into the woods I am in, I just move back... Simple. You then waste ammo on nothing while I maneuver around and destroy you.
I will gladly challenge any of you to a match where you invest big into arty. I will then save the replay and upload it as proof that your massed arty sucks against a not-idiot player.
Mind you, a couple pieces can be very useful, but the idiots that spend more than 200 points on arty will never see it pay off in a game against a competent opponent.
I like nothing better than seeing tons of blind fire come from the enemy spawn because I know some idiot just wasted half their team's money. On the other hand, the skilled player that deploys limited arty with their main force and uses it as a compliment to their army as opposed to a replacement... That is the player to fear.
at the same time I absolutely dread when a teammate buys tons of arty... At battle end I can look at kill/death numbers and see they contributed to 75% of our casualty points while only getting 5% of our kill points... Real good that did us....

If you don't believe me how wasteful arty is I will also gladly upload every battle I have fought and prove that not once has massed arty been an effective tool against me (even in the battles I've lost). It just requires actually using your head instead of blindly letting your troops die.

Of course, if your are happy to win only against idiots but never actually defeat a skilled player, then go ahead, buy arty in force, heck, you'll probably still have a winning record... I guess I just prefer to win against everyone, not just idiots:-)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12