Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK☼ DF - V2 - 5 year Challenge  (Read 52879 times)

Llamainaspitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ DF - 10 year Challenge
« Reply #90 on: February 27, 2012, 04:52:37 pm »

Oh, are we supposed to be doing logs on this stuff?

Alarion

• Bay Watcher
  • I put on my robe and wizard hat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 27, 2012, 05:10:33 pm »

So far the Hills of Death are not living up to their name, thankfully. It is now autumn the first year, and we've gotten two migrants. The underground areas are up and running, and we're about to get more booze just in time for the last of the stockpiled variety to run out. We're not starving for food at least - a single fisherman has fished about 150 units of fish from the small brook just outside the main door, and thus we're still at full stock of meat that was brought at embark. Other than that, no crashing and no major problems at all (and it's cool to see my dwarves swimming!) Expecting a caravan soon, and nothing otherwise of note. The only dead thing is so far a mongoose that attacked my militia commander/axedwarf/woodcutter/carpenter, was struck down in a single blow and then turned into bone crafts. Right after autumn started, all 8 of my brought-along female dogs gave birth to puppies, and a stray horse starved to death. Quaint. I thought grazing had been removed? It's going well in Berontak!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 05:19:11 pm by Alarion »
Death shall sow, and summer burn, before the Great Lord comes.
Death shall reap, and bodies fail, before the Great Lord comes.
Now the Great Lord comes. Now the Great Lord comes.
Blood feeds blood. Blood calls blood. Blood is, and blood was, and blood shall ever be.
Now the Great Lord comes.

Alarion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 27, 2012, 06:46:36 pm »

Half a year has passed, and it is mid-spring of the second year. A dwarven caravan came, whom we traded our nice prepared meals to for some cages and rope. A drow caravan also showed up, right after we flooded the hospital by accident in trying to create a nice waterfall into a cistern below it. Thank Armok for doors, or the whole fortress would be underwater by now. Still trying to clear that up. Not much else happened, and then we got 30 migrants all of a sudden! Five of them are berserkers and three haulers, a single smith and one craftsman guild, other than that no extraordinary dwarves save for a half-dozen of bowyers and a bunch of turrets and landmines. The dogs are procreating like crazy, and since the last ambush decided to attack the drow merchants (who killed them easily) instead of us, it seems like a calm year is coming. As soon as we can fix the hospital, of course. A note on Dwarf Therapist: it's not showing either the castes or the last names of any of the dwarves, but I assume that's just because it's a new version and all. Still, would be good to fix. Also, just got my first vampire attack (that got the moody mechanic - a pity, he was such a promising engraver... gotta get that guy now!)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 06:54:27 pm by Alarion »
Blood feeds blood. Blood calls blood. Blood is, and blood was, and blood shall ever be.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 27, 2012, 06:57:17 pm »

flooded the hospital... a nice waterfall ... Thank Armok for doors.

LOL.  Glad to hear others do this too, I've done this so many times, it's part of my startup ritual.  'Wood stockpile, make some beds, chair for the manager, ANTIFLOOD DOORS FOR THE HOSPITAL'

UncleCern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 27, 2012, 08:09:34 pm »

flooded the hospital... a nice waterfall ... Thank Armok for doors.

LOL.  Glad to hear others do this too, I've done this so many times, it's part of my startup ritual.  'Wood stockpile, make some beds, chair for the manager, ANTIFLOOD DOORS FOR THE HOSPITAL'

Why would one do that? Waterfalls? In a hospital?
Welcome to the mad, mad world of RAW errors or duplication. Somewhere you have files which dont quite add up, and crazy shit happens(..) There are instances of this where you can adventure as a fly, or embark with wagonmeat, wearing shoes made of burning soap(..)

DF is so awesome that it doesnt just crash, it crates batshit crazy worlds where intelligent chairs farm dragons and make houses out of thier toenails.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 27, 2012, 09:13:21 pm »

Why would one do that? Waterfalls? In a hospital?

Not so much a waterfall in my case, just plumbing for underground cistern in general.

In Dwarf fortress I tend to use very much half-thought out engineering principles, such as:
If at least one room is watertight then you can't flood everything at once.

Alarion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 28, 2012, 01:48:26 am »

It was supposed to be a nice addition, because dwarves like mist and it makes them clean too. Forgot to add a floodgate to the river, which caused a lot of trouble, but it finally worked!

So I got the fortress up to 2½ years now. Marked drop in FPS from around 150 to 25 halfway through, not being helped by hundreds of puppies and a lot of clutter. Trading works well, especially considering I only produce huge amounts of valuable food, but I haven't really had a chance to test the military as I just bred fifty war dogs for any trouble. The turrets seem OK though. Just after an elven caravan showed up, an ambush attacked and killed all of them except the diplomat. Good thing is they left their dragon cages that they were gonna sell me, so they're now mine ;) A vampire stalks the fort but haven't yet been found. Almost lost the fort to a huge tantrum spiral that killed 2/3 of the population; I was down to just 23 dwarves before some migrants showed up. Good news is it might have killed the vampire, because I haven't seen any more attacks since. I also had a legendary engraver/stonemason survive the tides, as well as my broker (the only starting dwarf left), and right afterwards got another one in a 10 dwarf migration wave. Currently hard at work cleaning up all the corpses and destruction, but have good hope to be able to rebuild despite no metal production at all since fort beginning. Dogs are nice...

Some things I noticed:

- You can't burn things in the bonfire as advertised. They just go on a separate pile to the side and stay there, untouched.
- Skeletons and corpses randomly started reanimating and attacking me, despite being in a neutral biome and not having any necromancers near. Odd?
- If you capture a pet from the caravans, they don't get added to your fortress records despite being tagged as friendly and you being able to release them. Strange?

Other than that, great mod! It'll be nice to test it out in the future as well, but for now I gotta sleep. Have fun!

ItchyBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 28, 2012, 04:17:51 am »

- Skeletons and corpses randomly started reanimating and attacking me, despite being in a neutral biome and not having any necromancers near. Odd?

Might be the same problem I had. Check for a dwarf in the combat log who is using strange gestures (like a necromancer).

McFlow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 28, 2012, 07:15:34 am »

Meph, is the challenge still running? If so, please update the main post so people know it's still going on.

Whether we still get rewards or not... challenge accepted! After I read the main post yesterday and seen the great dwarf following you have accumulated, I have no other choice than try out the mod myself.

Right now, these are some changes I already enjoyed:
- Thiefs and snatchers start spawning much earlier. This leads to more fun (not !FUN!, because only stupid dwarves die to goblins) and challenge.
- Farming takes about twice the time it first did. Remember you could feed a whole fortress with only a couple of 5x5 farm plots? You'll have to work harder to provide food for your little friends this time and check for shortages in advance.
I embarked on an island, saw the ocean was frozen, and decided to dig a fort in there. I forgot that it wasn't a freezing biome...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #99 on: February 28, 2012, 12:58:05 pm »

Ok, I will update the first post. It is still running of course. :)

The reports are nice, but you dont have to do RPG style full game reports. I am mostly interested in balancing and weird stuff, bugs and so forth.

I am also mostly done with my bugfixing/flavor/balancing. All reported bugs are fixed, flavor items are included, GUI and manual are updated, currently work on balancing and the new compability for 34.03.

Code: [Select]
- You can't burn things in the bonfire as advertised. They just go on a separate pile to the side and stay there, untouched.
- If you capture a pet from the caravans, they don't get added to your fortress records despite being tagged as friendly and you being able to release them. Strange?

Noted. You might have a necromancer under your dwarves (think of him as hidden, like a vampire), and in the bonfire only LARGE fire actually destroy stuff on top of it. You have to build a garbade dump above it, and dump the stuff right on top.
Friendly pets: This is most likely a hardcoded 34.02 problem.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Alarion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 28, 2012, 03:13:45 pm »

Yeah, I tried that but it wouldn't work. (Large bonfire.) Maybe designate it one z-level up? I tried that too, but couldn't get it to work. For now I'm using an atom-smasher instead, which drastically raised my fps. Also, I'm getting ambushes right on top of the trade depot when the drow are there, that they just Cloud of Darkness away and I can never see what's there, bug or feature?

Survived the tantrum spiral with a dozen crazy dwarves, causing the entire entry hallway to be lined with memorial slabs and coffins. All the corpses are atom-smashed outside, and replaced with memorials, which works nice and prevents accidental or intentional raising. A dwarven caravan was slaughtered by the goblins, but that means free stuff for me when they got bored and left. Vampire is definitely gone, although I might get a new one now that 30 (!) migrants showed up, exactly doubling the fortress population in one go. Cool :) Most things work out well, and I dealt with the flooding. We might survive yet!

EDIT: I also got a 5 year old child who was already a proficient siege engineer with points in all three skills. Is that supposed to happen? Also, you might want to update Dwarf Therapist with the new castes and last names and all, and whatever skills are in there, so that it works nicely. Of course, it already does, but castes would be nice too. :)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 03:16:28 pm by Alarion »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #101 on: February 28, 2012, 03:32:32 pm »

Children work at age 5 in this mod, I was sick of babysitting for 12 years. The kid is most likely a savant, or naturally skilled dwarf. He/She is just talented. :)

I unfortunately lack the skill to patch the Therapist myself. I wrote Deon, but got no answer so far. Till then I cant add a caste support to the therapist.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

SecondBreakfast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 28, 2012, 04:32:47 pm »

I've been looking for an excuse to try this mod, doubt I'll make it to ten years but I'll try and report any issues as a newcomer.

Only at Summer of the first year so far, initially I'm very impressed (especially with the documentation - sad but true). Having a bit of an issue with labour settings though. I built a stonecutters workshop and so far it's getting used on and off by my mason, my stonecrafter and my mechanic. It's not clear what labour the building runs off.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #103 on: February 28, 2012, 04:58:23 pm »

Stonecutter uses (in the next version) masonry and stonecraft. I removed the mechanic. You think it should be only one of them, either Mason OR Rockcrafter ?

Llamainaspitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 28, 2012, 05:18:37 pm »

Okay, Freezers are officially Overpowered

Literally, Five Armed militia members, Six Grown Mastiffs, Two mastiff puppys, Two Dogs, A war dog, and Two cats, Cannot kill this thing.
It only has Gashes and A smashed eye, is still fighting, isn't faint, nothing.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16