Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Author Topic: ☼MASTERWORK☼ DF - V2 - 5 year Challenge  (Read 52408 times)

UncleCern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼MASTERWORK☼ DF - 10 year Challenge
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 03:36:29 pm »

https://rapidshare.com/files/2082513774/region3-spr-64.rar

Here's the link to my save. Crash happens in a few minutes after you load and unpause, this happens always. Keep in mind the world I have generated is quite "unusual" so that may be the cause. Or some kind of forgotten beast may be crashing the game too. Raws were editted to have dwarven children grow in 15 years instead of 4-5, the world parameters were heavily edited as well.

I remember I had the situation where the game was crashing when some forgotten beast was going to enter map (I save-scummed once after the beast came. Next time it was supposed to come game crashed, I loaded the save and the beast came normally that time (another beast that time). Then scummed again and it crashed again, loaded again and another FB came... and so on and so forth - looks like some FB was causing the crash.).

Time to generate a new world and have the good fort ;] I hope I help with testing, hehe.

Welcome to the mad, mad world of RAW errors or duplication. Somewhere you have files which dont quite add up, and crazy shit happens(..) There are instances of this where you can adventure as a fly, or embark with wagonmeat, wearing shoes made of burning soap(..)

DF is so awesome that it doesnt just crash, it crates batshit crazy worlds where intelligent chairs farm dragons and make houses out of thier toenails.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 03:42:21 pm »

How many hours of unpaused time is the average 10 years in DF?
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 03:42:25 pm »

Getting started. I'll just take screenies and post everything I see at the end (either 10 years or bust).
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 03:45:25 pm »

I accept your challenge! :)

Your mod is very nice work. The only bug I've run across is that one of my marksdwarves magically became Proficient in axe/sword/spear and I don't know why (not complaining though).
If I can suggest 1 thing it would be to allow the easy choice of ASCII mode graphics.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 03:47:51 pm by Mushroo »

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 03:49:30 pm »

I will try to do this. My current fort is running extremely slow (20fps) so it may not make it.

Vodrilus

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been forced to endure NaNoWriMo failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2012, 03:51:46 pm »

How many hours of unpaused time is the average 10 years in DF?
See Time. At 100 fps, 67.2 hours per game year.
Going backwards in reversed time (just like everybody else).

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2012, 03:56:25 pm »

At 100 fps, 67.2 hours per game year.

What?

"At 100 fps, it would take just over an hour in real-time to play through one year."
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2012, 04:09:32 pm »

well i can play a 10 year fort in 1-2 days with masterworks default 150 'real' fps.

so i guess its not that long.

also what do you call the 'real' fps, the opposite of the graphical fps.

Chronicle

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2012, 04:31:25 pm »

What?

"At 100 fps, it would take just over an hour in real-time to play through one year."

Pretty sure he meant 67.2 *minutes*

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2012, 04:45:18 pm »

What?

Pretty sure he meant 67.2 *minutes*

that sounds about 60 times more reasonable,

anyways starting my new fort for this challenge, pretty much default settings for masterwork, Garden of Gaia world preset.
ill let you know how it goes.

EDIT: welp forgot to bring a soldier on embark, alligators dont like dwarfs. take two.

EDIT2: so this will be fun, the 3x3 embark square is 5 squares calm, 2 squares serene, and 2 squares sinister.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 04:58:58 pm by bombzero »

UncleCern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2012, 07:53:32 pm »

New great world prepared. Elves, orcs, goblins, humans, kobolds, giants, frogpeople... It'll be fun.

First glacial embark in the new world -> skirmish with 2 giant stone gargoyles. Took 3 tries to finally reclaim the place. Starting to build aquifier water supply. If nothing will crash in a stupid way it'll be the perfect world I believe.
Welcome to the mad, mad world of RAW errors or duplication. Somewhere you have files which dont quite add up, and crazy shit happens(..) There are instances of this where you can adventure as a fly, or embark with wagonmeat, wearing shoes made of burning soap(..)

DF is so awesome that it doesnt just crash, it crates batshit crazy worlds where intelligent chairs farm dragons and make houses out of thier toenails.

Feb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2012, 11:02:32 pm »

After crashing a ton of times on vanilla-phobeus, I'm gonna take up the challenge until they can figure out what's wrong. 

Llamainaspitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2012, 11:10:41 pm »

Taking on the challenge.
I have never reached Ten years in dwarf fortress ever.

usually from FPS problems.
So, HERE WE GO.
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2012, 12:53:55 am »

i toke it don't know if this is a mod bug but my 5 and 7 year old dwarfs are working

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2012, 02:28:11 am »

Hi all, I'm playing along although I'm not "eligible" for the official challenge for a couple reasons.  (1) I'm still on the pre-DF2012 version waiting for the bug storm to die down (2) I'm not playing default settings (no harder mining; no harder smelting; no warlocks, automatons, or giants; no aquifers; Add naga from FD; Burning skulls deleted from raws.

It's year 5 of the fort, year 105 on Gaia, where a major river meets the ocean.   A pretty easy site, savage-good with plenty of ores.  Things are going well, I have learned to deploy advanced golems and fire turrets outside the walls to not burn down my base; and I don't underestimate the antmen any more.  (they pack a pretty crazy mix of advanced weapons including slade and wolfram if you're unlucky.  I don't mess with them in melee but rather just lock down the gates, carve pillboxes out of the cavern stone, "Dust off and nuke em from orbit")

I have a three-wide gate for wagons, which come down a copper paved road, down a few ramps to the riverside port.  A barge built on the river serves as depot; an upper deck doubles as a ballista battery that covers some of the camp sites where siegers hang out.  The Naga however, destroy their own sieges by burning the place down with Magma hounds.  Those hounds are tough, since they seem to have no vital organs.  Right now the crossbows are training on them while I decide how dangerous it would be to let down the gate.

The lumberyard dominates the above ground and supplies the "shipwrights".  Another area of the complex holds the new lamellar armor and ash/lye/soap at the refuse dump.  It would be convenient if there were a separate reaction to make armor from the lamellar pieces, since I have probably 20:1 ratio of other stuff in the pile, but I'll address it by messing around with stockpiles.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8021058/mwdf%20decade%20y5%20topside.jpg

A trap corridor built into the natural estuary, overwatched by the marks-barracks, it should hold pretty well if it's ever needed. So far it hasn't seen much use, we've just been meeting the enemy at the front gate.  In this shot you can also see the desalination pump and goods warehouse near the base of the dock.  Human civilization hasn't survived in this land, but we've successfully negotiated the elvin diplomat to bring us raptors and grizzly bears.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8021058/mwdf%20decade%20y5%20z001.jpg

In this embark I deployed with the Engineering crew, swapping in some anthracite and hens, so in the first few years we had to trade with the Mountainhomes for animals, fiber and oil crops to get the farms running for real.  Now we're pretty sufficient.    The site has a bit of steel and mithril for weapons but is heavy on the precious metals.  After ship in a few bronze bars for metallurgists' shops, the forge is humming along black-bronze non stop.  Unfortunately, the caravan has been getting hit by ambushers and the last one was lost, so I may need some perimeter defenses.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8021058/mwdf%20decade%20y5%20z185.jpg

Living quarters; nothing specifically Masterwork going on here, although you can see the Scriptorium and Apothecary. (typo in the image, those are not on the same level, Z-7 and Z-6)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/8021058/mwdf%20decade%20y5%20lvgqtrs.jpg

Maybe this is on purpose but it has me a little puzzled, Is it intended that the "Remove Netherwood Bark" at the lumbermill produces a SKIN_TANNED?  I expected it to be the first step in making processing to get more/better wood, since it had such a similar name to "Remove Tree Bark". 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As I get into a longer game and try to optimize my stockpiles, I notice that the categories of stone, "ore", "economic" etc. -- i can't put my finger on it, but they're not quite right.  The arc-smelter ores and adamantine aren't listed under ores.  Economic seems to be pretty much everything: gabbro, shale, etc.  There doesn't seem to be a category that catches all junk stone.  With simple stone it's not *so* bad, I just make stockpiles for each specific thing.   Tetrahedrite here, gabbro there.

Still, having a blast.  Set up a javelin squad and along with my first master Crossbowdwarves, drove away a big wave of naga.  Didn't have a great shooting position on the walls, but I think we got lucky and sniped a commander, and the rest fled.  Goblin thieves keep startling dwarves off the trap hallway into the water - been lucky and no deaths yet, somehow they scramble back out safely.  No matter how many "R"estricted signs I put up I can't get the lumber/loot harvesters to take the safer tunnel under the river.  Setting up some animals to try to spot the thieves.  Hawk, raptor, mastiff and grizzly breeding is booming at the kennels.

Time to do some rebuilding to extend the field of fire from the battlements over the winter and do some mining, steel and bronze supplies are depleted.  (I think ballista heads are costing 3 bars!  that's new, right?  I have a new turret set up overlooking the place where the biggest group of invaders camp but ouch, that's expensive per one shot.) Fortunately the naga dropped some gear that helps equip the javelineers well enough for now.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 06:32:02 am by smakemupagus »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16