Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Code Hero: A Game That Teaches You To Make Games  (Read 5820 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Code Hero: A Game That Teaches You To Make Games
« on: February 20, 2012, 11:10:07 am »

RPS article
Kickstarter
Game Site

This is a pretty neat looking thing. Theres a better description on RPS than what I can think of, so I'll add it here.
Quote from: Rock-Paper-Shotgun
"Code Hero is an FPS where your Code Gun shoots code directly at a target and executes on impact. It references the target so you can act upon hitObject in your code or just hit.point if permissions are denied."
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Code Hero: A Game That Teaches You To Make Games
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 12:03:42 pm »

honestly, my head exploded when trying to just understand the mechanics. I suspect that many DF fans will find it rewarding, especially those who are code monkeys.
It teaches you javascript and unityscript in a visual, 3d world.

Change pants and help fund the kickstarter.

Only a simple mind can be certain.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 12:39:35 pm »

ZOMG TEH GRAFIX R SHITTE! I PLAY COD AND HAV ACTUAL FUNZ! LOL!

Neat concept, I hope they actually execute it well in the game.
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 01:00:30 pm »

This seems awesome, and kind of refreshing.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 03:03:26 pm »

I only wish I had enough money to bump it up to the target myself.

Could everyone share this everywhere and help make it a little viral please?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 05:16:21 pm »

This is genius. Especially the Senator backing option.* I think I'm going to call my representatives later and talk this up a little- if you live in the United States, I urge you to do the same.

*For those who haven't read the Kickstarter page: if a state congressman pledges $1776, the developers "will bestow a K12 Code Hero Student License to every student of every school in their state or district."

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 06:25:25 pm »

It's a neat concept but sadly, the game engine they're using is unity. Unity is very easy to learn as there are a lot of tutorials on how to make a game of genre X, mostly shooters.
If they were planning to make a game that teaches you how to code in C++ or Java, I'd have chimed in some money but for Javascript and Unity? Nah, there are enough fun tutorials for that

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 06:30:13 pm »

Xzibit is would be down with this.
Thank you based dwarf.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 06:41:25 pm »

It's a neat concept but sadly, the game engine they're using is unity. Unity is very easy to learn as there are a lot of tutorials on how to make a game of genre X, mostly shooters.
If they were planning to make a game that teaches you how to code in C++ or Java, I'd have chimed in some money but for Javascript and Unity? Nah, there are enough fun tutorials for that
Simple is good, especially for people who are on the edge about whether this would be interesting or not. You certainly do have a point though, C++ or Java could be more helpful.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 06:54:10 pm »

I haven't bothered to read much into this, but is anybody reminded of those children's games where they teach you what each letter of the alphabet are, what colors are what, what sounds animals make, etc? I mean, this seems like it would be like that, only instead of teaching the alphabet it's teaching the... code...-abet...

Seems like an effective and fun method of teaching/learning, only applied to a different audience.

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 09:32:28 pm »

Forget about making this a game. Make it a full fledged game-development IDE. Allow game designers to shoot their way to a complete game.

No but seriously, nice concept.
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 11:56:19 pm »

Simple is good, especially for people who are on the edge about whether this would be interesting or not. You certainly do have a point though, C++ or Java could be more helpful.

There are a ton of tutorials on Unity, but this is (theoretically) going to outclass all of them by far. I think they picked a good combination- Unity is a free tool that you can use to make fun things and show them off, while Javascript is a useful thing that a lot of people can benefit from learning. The other thing is that they're both very high-level languages, meaning that they don't involve finicky tasks like memory management and garbage collection. I wouldn't be surprised to see more advanced languages as future DLC, probably free given their educational bend.

God, thinking about this project gets me excited. I dream of the day when the overwhelming majority of the population has at least basic programming skill.

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 06:05:43 am »

I pledged a few bucks for it. I'm not a huge fan of the languages used, but the idea is very compelling. Not entirely sure how it will all work.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 11:29:46 am »

About $40k left in 63 hours doesn't seem a very likely thing, unless they continue with the gaining 20k a day, since they were at 40 something yesterday.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 04:57:38 pm »

About $40k left in 63 hours doesn't seem a very likely thing, unless they continue with the gaining 20k a day, since they were at 40 something yesterday.

It just got $10k more in the last 6 hours. There's a chance.

EDIT: Heck, their site seems to be down because of all the hits they're getting
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 05:02:41 pm by Poltifar »
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out
Pages: [1] 2