Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: modding tutorial  (Read 2256 times)

Rudefire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
modding tutorial
« on: February 20, 2012, 11:08:12 am »

I am very new to modding this game, and am wondering if there are any good tutorials around with clear and concise directions on basic things, so that I can understand the raws better. Thanks!

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: modding tutorial
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 12:07:34 pm »

Here has some links to modding There are a few tutorials. Not all of them cover everything but it should get you walking in the right direction, remember once your done and you want to learn more about stuff thats not covered there are modding questions threads.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 12:11:56 pm »

::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Rudefire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 12:22:26 pm »

I've looked through those. They have great information, but its not at the basic level I need. I'm looking for something that will go through each raw template and show EXACTLY what every line means and what modifying it will do. Nothing too advanced, just showing creature, material, and tissue templates and showing exactly what will happen with editing them.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 12:48:25 pm »

Token Pages
Instructions:
1) Open up the given raw file where you want to know about something.
2) Pick a given token that you want to know what it does.
3) Look up the given token (for plants they will mostly be plant tokens, for creatures  creature tokens, etc.)
4) Learn exactly what the token will do.

That's about all we can give you as well as the modding guides that you have already seen along with Toady's notes in the raws (which actually works as a pretty good step by step guide for creature editing).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 12:51:39 pm »

Hmm... Looks like you will have to study TAGs

Because modding is simple everyone wants to make super speed dwarves [SPEED:0]

or make them need no food, drink/water, sleep [NO_EAT][NO_DRINK][NO_SLEEP]

From things like being naturally good at combat [NATURAL_SKILL:GRASP_STRIKE:6] - this is just for punching attacks

To whole complex things like new bodies with their own tissue coverings, Like lets say. You wanted to make a Robot (not something simple like the Bronze Collossos) that has gears that damaged hinder it, optics that can be damaged to give blindness, etc etc.

It all depends on "what" you want to do. I don't think anyone has made a complete basic tutorial (describes everything) because it would take too much time. I have thought of making one... But I don't fully understand everything either so I would need help. And Im busy with RL and Regeneration.

But just pop what templates that you are curious about here and I will try my best (as will others) to help you.

NINJA'D by i2amroy :P