Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No seeds, plants or booze available at startup?  (Read 2285 times)

Torolf88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
No seeds, plants or booze available at startup?
« on: November 07, 2007, 05:48:00 pm »

Hey, started a new world, on a clean install, and on my first attempt to prepare carefully, there was no option to bring any plants or any seeds to grow them, and also no alcohol in any way shape or form. I'm stubborn enough that I went ahead and managed to brew things from locally grown plants, but I can't plant those seeds underground, and can't farm at all.

I searched the forums, and while I found some threads about disappearing seeds, I didn't see anything like this. Is this a feature or a bug? Did I unwittingly start in an area that couldn't grow them?

Fenrir

Re: No seeds, plants or booze available at startup?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 06:11:00 pm »

Welcome to Dwarf Fortress!

When you his space to prepare carefully and your taken to the dwarfs screen, press tab. The item screen will then be displayed. Use the keypad to select an item. Use + and - to add or subtract items. Your remaining points will be displayed in the bottom left of the screen. Press [n]ew to add a different item to the list.

To farm above ground, simply press 'b' to go to the build screen, then press 'p' to build a farm plot. Use the keypad to move and 'u', 'k', 'h', and 'm' (if I remember correctly) to resize the plot, then press enter to place it. If your planting outside or in non-rock substances like loam, sand, and such, you won't need water.

Have fun!

[ November 07, 2007: Message edited by: Fenrir ]

Torolf88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 06:18:00 pm »

I'm not quite that new... I've been lurking since early 2006   :)

I know how to use 'n' to bring up the other items to add to the party. My point is that even after doing so, there is no booze, plants or seeds amongst all various types of leather, steel and bone goods.

And when I have built the farms, none of the seeds I've accrued from the natural surrounding flora can be farmed, though that may not be a bug, since we've never been able to farm those, afaik.

[ November 07, 2007: Message edited by: Torolf88 ]

Frobozz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 06:30:00 pm »

I had something similar happen once myself. I went to add plump helmet spawn only to find out I couldn't - it wasn't available. Needless to say I quit that game and started again elsewhere. It may be a bug but I somewhat wonder if it wasn't on purpose having to do with either location or the nearby dwarven civilizations.

Fenrir

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 06:35:00 pm »

Sorry, I was bound to make myself look like an idiot eventually. I don't know what's wrong, it always works for me. Did you type 'dw' after you hit 'n'?

MJ working

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 06:37:00 pm »

The game won't let you add things already on your list. Is it possible the items you were looking for were already included in the default starting materials the game "selects" for you to start?

I know in the case of plump helmut spawn you would have had to cancel it from the starting list before you could find it under "new". -I've done that one.

The game also refuses to show you things you can not afford. So it is possible (not likely) that you only had 1 gold piece and thus the list disn't show any drinks that cost 2 or meats that cost 2+ ?

Also the spelling is critical, I've had many a list go blank because I spelt the name wrong (some of those gems are tricky)  :D

And maybe it is a freak occurance coming from the random items for starting feature I don't know. I just thought I'd throw out what I knew to see if it would help .

Torolf88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 06:43:00 pm »

Thanks for the replies, but it's none of those.

Like any good dwarf, the first thing I look for in the loadout is booze, and the ability to make more of it. There wasn't any in the starting goods, and neither manually searching for it, or trying to type in the letters would let me find it. And I had hundreds of points left to spend on booze  :(

My poor dwarves had to spend the first season entirely sober, until my harvesters had gathered enough stuff (and my carpenter had churned out the barrels) to brew strawberry wine. I fear for the winter, when they won't be able to harvest....

Fenrir

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 06:43:00 pm »

It sounds like he or she just isn't typing in names of things and is trying to go through the list manually.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 11:01:00 pm »

The exact items in the list available when embarking are determined by the civilisation you are leaving from which in turn were determined randomly during worldgen. This is most easily seen from the list of meat / leather available to you.

It is possible that you simply got unlucky and your civ has no subterranean plants available which in turn will prevent any alcohol or seeds being available.

[ November 07, 2007: Message edited by: Metalax ]

In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Yag Alone

• Bay Watcher
  • Grumpy old fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007, 01:52:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Metalax:
<STRONG>It is possible that you simply got unlucky and your civ has no subterranean plants available which in turn will prevent any alcohol or seeds being available.

[ November 07, 2007: Message edited by: Metalax ]</STRONG>

If it's the case, then you can try to change your base civ on the fortress placement screen before embarking (try to press tab until you see the list of available dwarven civs)

Glazius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 08:57:00 am »

Assuming you're in a woodland biome, you should be able to plant, even underground. Just dig out a channel on the surface and let the sun shine in.

(Do glass floors block sun?)