Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Lycantrophy (or whatever it is for skinks) and children?  (Read 10667 times)

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
Re: Lycantrophy (or whatever it is for skinks) and children?
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2012, 05:53:57 pm »

Just to clarify, does it seem that the grapple problem persists even if you do a setup where
  • either the werecreature stands on a hatch and is hopefully dropped off after attacking someone if he doesn't change place
  • or the victim likewise
  • or a flood is used to separate them, before the transformation is over
  • or a combination thereof

Also it would probably be "skiggoskopaiy" or something like that, from "skiggo" skink and "skopaios" dwarf (in many species names) according to the Perseus Ancient Greek Online Dictionary (I was slightly bored)
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2012, 06:39:39 pm »

Just to clarify, does it seem that the grapple problem persists even if you do a setup where
  • either the werecreature stands on a hatch and is hopefully dropped off after attacking someone if he doesn't change place
  • or the victim likewise
  • or a flood is used to separate them, before the transformation is over
  • or a combination thereof

Also it would probably be "skiggoskopaiy" or something like that, from "skiggo" skink and "skopaios" dwarf (in many species names) according to the Perseus Ancient Greek Online Dictionary (I was slightly bored)

• You would have to make sure the were creature remained on that exact same hatch, which I don't see as being possible...

UNLESS!

The Dwarf being attacked was on a different z lvl. Dwarfs can be attacked on different z lvls!
Getting them to be attacked would be a pain though.
  • Victim based dropping would probably be easier, marginally though. I'd stick with the z  lvl exposure.
  • Flood... Were-creatures can swim, and I think they don't drown :S
  • Flooding and dropping? O_O

So yeah, send in a Dwarf with everything except maybe his hands, feet or upper body or something un-armoured to stand on a tile above our were-creature friend, wait for transformation, wait for a bite and hey presto, were-creature syndrome spread! Now you'd just need a way to stop them from dodging/being dragged down...

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2012, 06:42:41 pm »

I don't think any of this werewolf non-sense is true. Its just puberty in young men, I mean think about the symptoms;

getting hairy.
getting more muscle.
Getting taller.
Getting a little more agressive.
Women calling you a dumb man-beast.
Having lots of strange urges at night.
Killing an entire population of a fortress.

I mean, I did that when I was young, and I wasn't called a were-what-have-you. Kid's these days.

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2012, 07:07:17 pm »

Does the regeneration fix missing limbs? Because that would solve the whole problem....if you can just find a reliable way of removing the wereskink/future victims limbs before facing them off, WITHOUT bleeding them to death. Unless dwarves can grapple with their beards or something.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2012, 07:12:26 pm »

Does the regeneration fix missing limbs? Because that would solve the whole problem....if you can just find a reliable way of removing the wereskink/future victims limbs before facing them off, WITHOUT bleeding them to death. Unless dwarves can grapple with their beards or something.
Yes, it's been hypothesized you can use that to clone zombies.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2012, 07:37:06 pm »

Yes, it's been hypothesized you can use that to clone zombies.
It's been confirmed, someone lost their fort to an army of cloned were-zombies.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2012, 07:27:42 pm »

UNLESS!

The Dwarf being attacked was on a different z lvl. Dwarfs can be attacked on different z lvls!
Getting them to be attacked would be a pain though.
  • Victim based dropping would probably be easier, marginally though. I'd stick with the z  lvl exposure.
  • Flood... Were-creatures can swim, and I think they don't drown :S
  • Flooding and dropping? O_O

So yeah, send in a Dwarf with everything except maybe his hands, feet or upper body or something un-armoured to stand on a tile above our were-creature friend, wait for transformation, wait for a bite and hey presto, were-creature syndrome spread! Now you'd just need a way to stop them from dodging/being dragged down...
what about instead of the dwarf being 1 z lvl up (hence the risk of dropping to where the weredwarf is) the victim is 1 z lvl down? like in a 1x1 pit, place the victim there, in the z lvl above there is a 3x3 room, only a ring of 1 floor tiles around the center hole, this is where you'd place the weredwarf, surrounded by walls in the 3x3 room, only places to go is around the ring a biting the victim inside the hole in the center.... I don't think the weredwarf will be able to jump down... I've never seen a creature jumping down, maybe dodging...

can they bite trough a floor grate/bars?? that would avoid the chance of the weredwarf dodging a counterattack and falling in the hole with the victim.... that, if the victim can counterattack 1 z lvl up in the first place for the weredwarf to dodge and fall....

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2012, 09:04:29 pm »

So basically you need a way to stop the fight at a time of your choosing, and in such a way that nobody is grappling or biting anybody when it ends.

I don't think werebeasts have [NOSTUN] so you need to knock them out by dropping the fighting parties off a bridge, or possibly a series of bridges. brb farming werebeasts.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2012, 09:49:58 am »

Has science been done on infection? I had an engraver bitten by a Were-Elk that couldn't break the skin with the initial bite but tore his arm open by shaking. It's been a few months and he hasn't turned.

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2012, 08:46:31 am »

I wonder if you can use the attacking over two levels to avoid the Loyalty Cascade effect:

The were creature is at the higher level, looking down on a victim in a single pit square, covered with a hatch.  The hatch remains open at the start of the full moon, and is shut part way though.  Then when the were creature changes back it is not actively fighting or caught in a grapple, so then it shouldnt count as an enemy of the civilisation?

Thoughts?

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2012, 10:16:19 am »

I don't think werebeasts have [NOSTUN]
Actually they have, along with trapavoid and a bunch of others. Also might place cagetrap under victim this would end the fight if he falls unconscious, however getting him out before he dies from blood loss might be tricky. 
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2012, 10:39:16 am »

Interuniversal time-travelling werebeast.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

DuckBoy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2012, 01:26:01 am »

If the only problem with making a werefort is breaking grapples, I think I have a pretty easy fix.

Plop down a 10x10 retracting bridge and set it on repeat.  Dwarves and Weres will be separated every 100 steps when they are flung in random directions.  This will break grapples, making it much less likely that the wereskink and dwarf will be grappling when the skink returns to dwarf form.  Further, the dwarves will constantly be stunned, allowing the wereskink to do whatever it wants, which, hopefully is biting the dwarf instead of head bashing, but no guarantees there...
Pages: 1 2 [3]