Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Werewolf vs. Vampire vs. Murk Creature - Choosing your undead race  (Read 35214 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Werewolf vs. Vampire vs. Murk Creature - Choosing your undead race
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2012, 09:51:59 pm »

Some types of undead curses actually make you faster o_O

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2012, 10:57:54 pm »

As an immortal undead husk that is hated by all living things, who never again needs to rest or eat or even breath.. how exactly do you "give in to starvation"? :P
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2012, 01:29:19 am »

As an immortal undead husk that is hated by all living things, who never again needs to rest or eat or even breath.. how exactly do you "give in to starvation"? :P

You stop eating BRAAIIIINSSS
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Jibba Jabba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2012, 08:23:36 pm »

I'm curious because of my own adventuring but..can a husk still become a necromancer? And a necromancer a husk? I'm trying to turn my adventurer into the closest thing to a lich in this game. But I don't want to end up screwing him over realizing that there's only one path that works.

ccoolleeiiss

• Bay Watcher
  • Welcome, goblins, to the seige kill...waiting room
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2012, 08:17:28 am »

How to you become a "murk creature"? i'm kinda new to this game
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2012, 09:29:39 am »

How to you become a "murk creature"? i'm kinda new to this game
Go into an evil area and wander into the mists. Make sure to send useless peasants to sample the mist though. You've got only yourself to blame if you end up with brain necrosis.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Nirreln

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2012, 01:45:45 pm »

While being a husk makes you nearly unkillable, you'll wish you weren't when you get surrounded and have all your limbs and teeth removed by much faster opponents. The base speed for being a husk seems to be 816 which is really slow, almost to the point of being useless. One on one it's not a problem but try going up against four or more large opponents and they'll just rip you apart and leave you a crippled mess.
Quote from: a rather odd engraving
This is a masterful image of your FPS and the HFS. The HFS is committing a depraved act on your FPS.

RadHazard

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware their adorable guns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2012, 02:51:45 pm »

I can say that being a werecreature is definitely very fun during the full moon.  I'm not sure if this affects all werecreatures, but my wereelk adventurer apparently had [NO_PAIN] in were form, since bandits broke every single bone in my body without me feeling it.  I even managed to bite them all to death after my bones were pulverized.  I can also say that the material weaknesses/strengths of werecreatures do NOT affect your human form.  I found this out the hard way when a bandit smashed the face in of my weak-against-silver wereelk companion while he was in dwarf form using a bronze mace.

As for making werecreatures able to transform at will, you could do it with raw modding, but you'd have to create your own custom werecreature in the raws, or at least copy-paste one of the default ones from the world save.

Here's the example werebeast interaction edited to allow at-will transformations.  It requires that there be a creature called WEREBEAST with a caste called DEFAULT in the raws, although you can change it to any creature and caste you want.  You can also tweak various values to get it the way you want.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Keep in mind, to make all werecreatures use this interaction, you'd have to turn off the default werecreatures in the advanced world gen.  This would also make all werecreatures turn into your custom WEREBEAST creature, unless you made multiple copies of this interaction for different custom werecreatures.
To make magma-proof, set melting/boiling temperature higher than 12000. To make magma proof, set magma to be brewable.

Custom transformations got you down?
Here, have some ‼Science‼

Crinkles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2012, 02:02:05 pm »

Personally, I think werebeasts are best. While you don't have some of the benefits vampires and husks have, you also don't have their disadvantages. You don't have to drink blood, and everyone will resist the temptation to attack you on sight.

The really big plus for me, though, is that they heal completely. Did the +copper short sword+ tear the skin, shatter the lower spine bone, tear the nervous tissue and sever many tendons? That would mean being a permanent cripple for most adventurers, but werewolves need only wait until that time of the month (or for female werewolves, that other time of the month) to fresh as a peach again.

LoadingM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2012, 03:13:24 pm »

RadHazard could you post a .txt file of your werebeast transformation script, as I am new to modding DF and would like to heave this script but can't seem to implement it correctly myself.

RadHazard

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware their adorable guns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2012, 04:01:30 pm »

Sure! Here's a working version.  You should be able to throw those two files into your raw/objects folder and have it work just fine.

The creature I included is one of the randomly generated werebeasts I got from a world.sav.  This one happens to be a werepanther.

If you want to make the werecreature turn into something else, you can either edit the WEREBEAST creature in creature_werebeast.txt to be whatever creature you want, or you can change all the occurrences of WEREBEAST:DEFAULT in the interaction_werebeast.txt to whatever creature you want, in the form <creature id>:<caste id>.  For example, to make the werecreatures turn into regular wolves, you'd use WOLF:MALE (or WOLF:FEMALE) instead of WEREBEAST:DEFAULT.
To make magma-proof, set melting/boiling temperature higher than 12000. To make magma proof, set magma to be brewable.

Custom transformations got you down?
Here, have some ‼Science‼

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2012, 06:58:38 pm »

Out of interest, did all the night creates toady was working on get implemented ? And also are werecreatures and vamps still gened with different abilitys and weaknesses in each world ? I was promised sparkling vampires!!
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

TheLinguist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 03, 2012, 07:03:48 pm »

As far as I can tell, there's only one kind of vampire thus far. Werebeasts DO take different forms, and have different material weaknesses, but that's about it.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 03, 2012, 09:30:40 pm »

There are still some night creatures Toady hasn't gotten around to yet.

Yet another eerie dust husk update: I am exuding repulsive murk from every part of my body. Holy shit.

HIT THINGS. HIT THINGS AND RUN.

This is just a guess but I think that murk is part of what spreads the husk taint. If you walk into town, slap a few peasants around and hide, you can probably start a domino effect that ends in a husk hamlet.

Husks are hostile to each other, so that's probably not a good thing.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2012, 09:34:23 pm »

There are still some night creatures Toady hasn't gotten around to yet.

Yet another eerie dust husk update: I am exuding repulsive murk from every part of my body. Holy shit.

HIT THINGS. HIT THINGS AND RUN.

This is just a guess but I think that murk is part of what spreads the husk taint. If you walk into town, slap a few peasants around and hide, you can probably start a domino effect that ends in a husk hamlet.

Husks are hostile to each other, so that's probably not a good thing.

How is that not a good thing?

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6