Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

Author Topic: Goodbye Vector  (Read 32800 times)

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goodbye Vector
« Reply #150 on: February 22, 2012, 04:03:35 am »

If you should find yourself in Stavanger, Norway at some point there can be coffee/tea and possibly buns. And then I'll help you get to your intended destination, because god knows noone ever ends up here on purpose.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 22, 2012, 08:38:42 am »

Haha, I actually feel kind of like I'm dying, just like I sort of felt like I died when I graduated from high school, and when I dropped out of school.  You know... all kinds of people trying to ease your passage as you sink back down into the water from which you came, nameless, trying to make sense of the light playing on the surface as all the images of the people and things you love fade.

When I was younger, I used to think about that sort of thing a lot.

Sorry for being so emo.  This represents an end of a certain way of living for me.  I have no idea what it'll free up for me, and I have no idea as to where I'll go from here.  Some part of me is saying in desperation that I should go get multiple PhDs (or read the collective words of Nietzsche, etc.).  And some part of me is just confused...

Oh, well.  Life goes on, right?  Even after the parts that are like dying.
Hey, most people aren't lucky enough to be around for their own eulogies. Consider it a plus.  ;)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #152 on: February 22, 2012, 09:20:27 am »

It saddens me to see you have to go, Vector. I've never conversed with you in great length; the longest conversation we've had was probably the discussion of "You should totally watch Rebuild" and "You should read Saikano." "NO! No! Don't do it! It'll devour your soul! I still don't know how to deal with it!" Even so, in my opinion, you represent a core foundation for the community that is somewhat separated from Dwarf Fortress; that is, the community on Bay12 that keeps coming back for the community and not the game. The handful of truly prominent members of this community, including yourself, seem to drive thoughtful conversation and inject sanity, reasoning, and good-old grammar into every thread you post in. Also, I'm sure we can all agree you occasionally ride War Eagles into battle.

In any case, I hope this thread serves to aid you in any capacity it can; both to show you how important you've become to the community and the members themselves and to remind you that we've said our goodbyes and wished you well. I hope the former fills some of that emptiness you've described, and the latter reinforces your will to conquer whatever weaknesses you find in yourself.

I sincerely wish you the best of luck in finding what you're searching for.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 22, 2012, 06:22:48 pm »

Haha, I actually feel kind of like I'm dying, just like I sort of felt like I died when I graduated from high school, and when I dropped out of school.  You know... all kinds of people trying to ease your passage as you sink back down into the water from which you came, nameless, trying to make sense of the light playing on the surface as all the images of the people and things you love fade.

When I was younger, I used to think about that sort of thing a lot.

Sorry for being so emo.  This represents an end of a certain way of living for me.  I have no idea what it'll free up for me, and I have no idea as to where I'll go from here.  Some part of me is saying in desperation that I should go get multiple PhDs (or read the collective words of Nietzsche, etc.).  And some part of me is just confused...

Oh, well.  Life goes on, right?  Even after the parts that are like dying.
That was a beautiful way of putting it, not emo at all in my opinion.  In fact, I think you just put words to something I've been trying to find the words for for a long time.

Thanks for that.  I think I'm going to add that to my great quotes collection.

Spoiler: To Max and G-Flex (click to show/hide)
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 22, 2012, 09:50:45 pm »

Phantom: The only thing Max did remotely wrong to cause an issue here was making a joke I didn't get? Really, now?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 22, 2012, 09:55:49 pm »

No.  Stop.  It's over.  Regardless of who did specifically what, you were over-sensitive and he was under-sensitive, and that's how the thing dragged on and on. 

Now let's move on.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 22, 2012, 10:12:42 pm »

Edit: Angry stuff removed.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 04:54:37 pm by Phantom of The Library »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 22, 2012, 10:28:26 pm »

Late for the party, but here I am. You have a nice life, Vector. Whatever it ends up being.

I'm tempted, as usual, to spout some sagely farewell advice from the height of my three decades tall ladder, but I'll restrain myself.

Let me just say that it was always a pleasure to read the thoughts you've typed down over the years in oh so many posts. I've always felt a great deal of admiration, and admittedly no small amount of envy, for your ability to express yourself in such an elaborate yet clear and coherent manner. Or maybe it was more about simply having such a rich inner life that desired expression.

Anyway, while I'm at it, I should appologise for that one-time ill-concieved attempt at teaching you Polish. In hindsight, I should've known better than gauge the extent of my ignorance using random people on the interwebs as a measuring stick. I just hope I didn't put you off from learning the language.

Erm, yeah. Here's a farewell gift:

That's the extent of this official aurevoir, and we probably shan't ever cross paths again, unless you'll be pulling a Fenrir some time in the future. Providing I'll still be alive and kicking. Palazzo out.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 22, 2012, 10:28:51 pm »

Especially you G-Flex now that you insist on not letting it drop.

It was dropped. You didn't need to bring it up again.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 22, 2012, 10:39:42 pm »

Edit: Angry stuff removed.

I apologize for my behavior.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 04:55:22 pm by Phantom of The Library »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 23, 2012, 12:29:03 am »

So, did we ever make a list of Vector facts, ala Chuck Norris?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 23, 2012, 12:42:51 am »

I was fulfilling my job as OP and letting both of you know that this sort of stuff will not be tolerated, since apparently, warning you once wasn't enough to prevent it from happening again. 
One more word out of you in this thread that doesn't have to do with Vector and I'm reporting you.  You want to rage? Take it elsewhere.  You want to insult people? Take it elsewhere.  You want to massage your ego? Take it elsewhere.  You want to criticize my moderation?  Send me a PM, don't keep dragging on the issue inside a thread commemorating the person who has done some of the most to prevent this sort of thing on this forum.

For the final time:

KNOCK.

IT.

OFF.

I apologize to everyone else for this.

I sent you a a more detailed PM in response to this, but: If you don't want people to respond to something in the thread, PM it to them instead; it's common courtesy. Otherwise, you're just trying to have the last word, which is especially bad when you're being accusatory and angry about it, in which case it is especially unfair to disallow a response (which isn't your prerogative anyway).
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 12:46:15 am by G-Flex »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 23, 2012, 01:08:19 am »

Vector doesn't leave the forum, she goes off on a quest to return far more powerful than we can possibly imagine.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 23, 2012, 01:14:17 am »

Vector doesn't leave the forums; she's an addiction it has to quit. :P

Hey, when is she going to invent a music based on complex polynomials? We will call it Mathstep.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 01:15:52 am by MaximumZero »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 23, 2012, 01:26:37 am »

Vector has unknowingly encountered time travelers dozens of times throughout her life. All of them were herself from the future, returning to adjust events ever so slightly to prevent her from writing an equation that triggers time travel. Obviously, they always fail.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14