Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Forgotten beast silk clothing!  (Read 12729 times)

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten beast silk clothing!
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2012, 12:33:41 am »

Not only could you make magmaproof clothes, it would be real easy to cover dwarfs from head to toe in this silk with just a robe, mittens, socks and hood. All we need to do is cover a vampire in this stuff and drop him in the magma sea and watch him fight all the fire imps.

My vampire is magma-proof.
Then throw him in the magma pump chamber to kill the magma fauna.

Actually, turns out he went missing recently. He was in a completely sealed area, with ~5/6 magma, for probably at least a few months. Guess it just took him a while to melt?!

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2012, 01:11:44 am »

Well, at least the clothes won't burn in magma..

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2012, 07:43:52 am »

Well, at least the clothes won't burn in magma..

(d) (b) (c)

Armok forbid what happens when it's a sock though

Uronym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2012, 08:00:14 am »

The clothes are fireproof, the dwarf is not. Remove the fat first :3
  • Perform Dwarven liposuction on Urist.
  • Clothe Urist in fireproof silk.
  • Throw Urist into magma sea.
  • ???
  • Profit!
What I think we're saying is we need dwarves to riot and break things more often.

nate.219

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2013, 12:14:56 am »

Alright So this is my first time posting but It hasn't been said on this forum so far. I have captured a Forgotten beast on my current world and it is spewing forth silk without any possible way it can path to the target (except through fortifications). I dont know how to attach pictures but ill try and see what happens...

Sorry for the ultra-clustered picture but it was the best I could do under the circumstances.
But the beast just sits there spewing web. Not sure if it can path through the fortifications but it shoots web still.

The dog is chained to the middle and just stands there taunting the beast. Every now and then He does stop shooting web but then you just raise the bridge to break Line of sight and then lower it again and it begins its cycle of silk spewing.
The web then collects over the retracted bridge and I raise it then retract it and the web falls down a z-level to the collection post underneath. It wont fall on its own and I have it retracted so the dog doesn't stand on it before I retract it.

If anyone wants (and I remember to check on this thread), I can post pictures of it in progress or something...
Like I said again, Im not sure this has been done before but I didnt see it on this thread.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2013, 05:43:57 am »

That's the concept i've been using in two of my forts as well - FB caught between two bridges, has bridge-switchable line of sight on tame critters through fortifications and happily webs them all day long. No path required. I didn't even bother with waving bridges or channels to the level below, just order the bridge lowered for webbing, then after the animal chamber is full order the bridge (one wide) to be raised again, send in the weavers. It requires supervision and player control but it generates enough silk to keep a hundred or more dwarfs clothed.

Just use several bait animals instead of only one and chain them up in a sufficiently large chamber.

From right to left on each picture: Bisek, the shell-bearing skinless gopher (beware its webs!) lured into position between two one-tile raising bridges by an artefact birchen armour stand (decorated with birch and gabbro, one of my cheapest artefacts ever), fortifications, 15x1 tiles of raising bridge, three chained keas, a pair of looms configured to only collect webs and spin silk. First while inactive, second after a bit of web-shooting, while a weaver is busy harvesting.

coldmonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2013, 05:58:03 am »

From my recent experience with melting the fat off of an adventurer, I can say that removing fat removes the effect of being set on fire, as in external bleeding and such. But if you get heated up even further you start blistering and incinerating, which affects your eyes, spinal cord, brain, bones, and other more internal organs, soon killing you from complete organ collapse. You'll stand higher temperatures for longer periods if you have no fat, but it's just a matter of time.
I found a human city named Sleevevirgins. It was easily the biggest city in the world, so clearly I wasn't the first person to come inside the city's walls.

nate.219

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2013, 02:04:13 am »

Yea On my old fortress I had two GCS silk farms and a FB silk farm  :D Needless to say on each fortress I had legendary weavers continually pumping out masterwork socks trousers and vests.
 I use the method for dropping silk down to the level below just cos I find it easier because every now and then I hit the lever 2 times and Im good to go for a while, If i dont I have to raise the bridge, unforbid the doors and tell the silk collectors to collect and then they sit around whilst the doors are fobidden and the silk is being spat. This method allows for a continuous stream of silk. I also like your idea of multiple lures, didnt think of that.
The only problem I have is that the dog gets hit by the occasional piece of falling silk from the bridges being retracted. This often damages lungs and hearts...
One huge advantage is, once these clothes start to wear out you can sell them and they sell for alot (especially CGS ones). I have had slightly worn masterwork GCS trousers sell for up to 1000 dwarfbux. I would trade 100000-200000 dwarfbux each year just to get rid of all my waste clothing :D

This current world I havn't found a single GCS >:(
but on the upside I am about to breach hell and *hopefully* build in hell in like 5 minutes!!!
Should be chaos fun!
-Edit-
It is complete. I have destroyed all the demons and an unlucky forgotten beast (a large shrimp?!) that happened to waltz into the demon slaughtering chamber. I am currently mining out the the adamantium and am beginning the new fortress. In hell.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 04:19:49 am by nate.219 »

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2013, 05:08:46 am »

Anyone have experience using the silk from a certain glowing area at lower depths? Wondering if it has a higher value modifier, or simply extreme danger, risk, effort needed to collect and use.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2013, 05:18:43 am »

Its value is the same as forgotten beast silk. In my experience it seems like it's always fire/magma safe. Either way, it's totally worth it just for the cool factor.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2013, 06:07:38 am »

Its value is the same as forgotten beast silk. In my experience it seems like it's always fire/magma safe. Either way, it's totally worth it just for the cool factor.

Someone did some checking and underworld silk's almost always magmasafe, but just as with forgotten beast and other randomly generated critter, it have the base value. The magmasafe part's probably to put up with the heat they can put out.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2013, 07:34:24 am »

Too bad it doesn't protect the wearer from fire. I did some tests hoping to make fire-resistant dwarves with fire-proof silk (which was modded for ease of testing). Sadly, no matter what, the dwarf always bleed to death.

Now you could use the silk to help produce partially fat-less dwarves. Since the hands, face, and toes are the only things that cannot be covered, you could selectively remove the fat from those areas, and in combination with the silk make essentially fire-proof dwarves hopefully with less casualties than a full fat-removal would cause.

Either way, it killed my dreams of a fire-proof marksdwarf squad to patrol around the magma sea.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2013, 03:25:04 pm »

Changing fingers and toes to be limbs also works, and has the added bonus of making those body parts be protected from regular attacks. It has the side effect of giving dwarves spaghetti-fingers individually capable of wrestling an opponent, but I don't think this makes the combat system significantly weirder.

You can also set fat's bleed rate to 1.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2013, 04:47:21 pm »

I also have a forgotten beast silk farm. Took my dwarfs 8 years to construct and capture the beast, due to it being a giant 3 eyed flying kestrel! Very appropriate for my above ground avian themed fort =D

The silk shooting is controlled via bridges which are alternatively lowered and raised. A period of time is then given when all bridges are raised and dwarfs can enter the room to collect silks.

Coincidentally I have a source of permanent fire: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=129125
which should be perfect for skin melting as well as lots of highly trained swimming dwarfs.

Let me know if there is any research I can contribute to in this field!
Also how do you tell how much fat a dwarf has (left)?

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2013, 04:56:21 pm »

I also have a forgotten beast silk farm. Took my dwarfs 8 years to construct and capture the beast, due to it being a giant 3 eyed flying kestrel! Very appropriate for my above ground avian themed fort =D

[snip]

The silk shooting is controlled via bridges which are alternatively lowered and raised. A period of time is then given when all bridges are raised and dwarfs can enter the room to collect silks.

Coincidenhttp://www.bay12forums.com/smf/Themes/darkling/images/bbc/divider.giftally I have a source of permanent fire: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=129125
which should be perfect for skin melting as well as lots of highly trained swimming dwarfs.

Let me know if there is any research I can contribute to in this field!
Also how do you tell how much fat a dwarf has (left)?

Nice job!

You can tell if a dwarf is missing fat on a body by going to the "Thoughts and Preferences" menu (v-z-Enter). It will say what parts are fat-free in pink, e.g. "His upper body's fat is gone"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4