Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Crossing the Bright Void - a Space Pirate RTD: Turn 8.5 - Horrors of War  (Read 26824 times)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crossing the Bright Void - a Space Pirate RTD
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 09:53:59 am »

Dwarmin I notice a distinct lack of P.D. rounds for your ship. You can get 500 with your remaining Credits :)

Sinpwn

• Bay Watcher
  • That there guy with that face.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 10:05:12 am »

Edit: I think you should add some Missiles to your ammunition Sinpwn.
I'll just make do until I can scrounge some. Kind of fitting by a crew standpoint, in any case.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Turn 0 - Journey Through the Stars

Captain Nrelshy, and Mr. Success (Nirur Torir)

Repair Drones go flitting across the Bridge View screen, and the rare bit of debris smacks against the containment field of Centauri B II's Station, Centauri Station (Obviously whoever owned it wasn't a very creative person), your crew members were still dragging the last of the Point Defense Rounds inside, and would soon be finished. Of the money you were left by your former owner you have none, and at the moment you don't have enough information to pull off any piracy. While your still docked you could ask around the Station in the hopes of finding work, and maybe a potential informant to aid in your Piracy. Of course you could also just head on out, after requesting to undock, and head out into the reaches of space looking for a target.

Up front you watch as the last of the welds are finished, and the last of your Point Defense Turrets is fixed into place upon the bow of your ship. To the side of your screen you notice three Stingray Fighters closing on your ship, and a channel opens up.

Rip:        "Requesting Permission to Dock Captain ..."

You:       "Permission given come on in, be careful out there."

With that the fighter bay doors open, at the click of a button from you, and your three new fighters land in the bay, and the doors shut. With that all your cargo, and crew are on board, and small group clambers up the ladder, and into the bridge as they spread out taking their seats at navigation stations, status computers, etc. Now its time to choose a course of action.

Spoiler: Captain Nrelshy (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mr. Success (click to show/hide)

Captain Jack Scott, and the Void's End (empfan)

You used to be a captain in the U.M. Navy, but you 'stepped' out of line, and the higher ups put you on the chopping block as they repossessed our ship, and ordered you execution. With the help of your former crew you broke out of the jail cell, and stole your ship back. Breaking free from its moorings, and firing several rounds from the Point Defense Turrets, as you disable the station's defenses, and burst from the hanger bay flying at great speeds. Within moments a small task force is chasing you as a group of fighters, and a frigate begins the chase.

Beads of sweat drip down your face, and your heart nearly leaps out of your chest when your crew intercepts a transmission.

"This is the Aegis of Suns coming to dock at the station, over."

If you don't get out of there you will die. The Void's End's engines are at full power, and the jump drive is warming up as you enter the asteroid belt near the human occupied Delta Station. As you enter the Asteroid belt a hail of fire from the frigate shatters a smaller asteroid, sending chunks rolling across the top of your ship before drifting off the far side, and out into space. The enemy is closing, and you have no chance of escape yet as they begin to close the distance, the frigates weapons charging up for another barrage. It was time you act, but what course of action would you take?

Spoiler: Captain Jack Scott (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Void's End (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: U.M. Forces (Enemy) (click to show/hide)

K'zan, and Star's Glare (Sinpwn)

The shattered hull of your former home drifts through space, the fighting shattered the corroded main supports, and the station broke in half under the stress of a pirate frigate. All around you the buzz of mining shuttles, modified cargo shuttles, and light freighters fill the air, and continuous transmission are sent to the bridge as several groups from the station begin making demands, and requests for their loyalty to you. This moment could give you a fleet to command, or leave you with nothing, but this ship to do as you wish. Everyone that lived here was either on the run, or an active pirate, and all of them would follow what ever actions you choose to follow. You have yet to listen to their demands, and requests, but you have a total of two major groups requesting something of you.

Spoiler: Groups (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: K'zan (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Star's Glare (click to show/hide)

Aurin Velias, and Misericordia Nex (Tiruin)

The blinding light of the system's star, Giltana, filters through the Bridge View screen, and reduces it to levels that don't burn your eyes out of your sockets. The station is a buzz with movement, most related to the latest arrivals, a small fleet from the Empire of Bataria. The last of your supplies is dragged on board as a pair of frigates cross the view screen to dock at the far side of the station, all nine docking levels on that side of the station. Now it was your time to take action, but what to do first, search for a job, go hunting in the depths of space (Not the best idea with an Empire fleet docked in the system), or some other course of action?

Spoiler: Aurin Velias (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Misericordia Nex (click to show/hide)

Praetor Valicum Trivonii, and Xiliosh (Xardalas)

Its been a month since you, and the crew of Xiliosh managed to survive the pirate raid, and you now lie on the edge of the U.M. - Empire of Bataria border. Your course brought you here for there was no lie in your previous home, as it was, so plagued with war between the Federation, and the pirates of that sector. Now you had a choice to make, you could head back, and aid in a war the pirates were losing, go across the human border, and take advantage of their weakened military state, or head across the Bataria border, and raid their numerous rich merchant ships carrying ammunition, fuel, new fighters, and much more.

Spoiler: Xiliosh (click to show/hide)

Captain Sai'oda Fresa, and Endless Fury (Dwarmin)

The remains of an Empire fighter wing skids across the top of the ship, and drifts off into the depths of space. All around you debris scrapes hull, or bashes into the asteroids surrounding the place you were heading. Rumors say there is a deep space facility somewhere in this asteroid fields, and those Empire Fighters reinforce that, along with the fact the fighters were obsolete drones from the previous war. On your radar you get three readings, two of them appear to be large drone scouting parties, and the other accounts about twenty to fifty drones in whatever facility you are searching for.

Spoiler: Captain Sai'oda Fresa (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Endless Fury (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 09:24:50 pm by adwarf »

empfan

• Bay Watcher
  • Dungeon Keeper and part-time Firekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 02:48:58 pm »

Jack cursed when he saw that the ship was pursuing, and that he had to strip the ship for credits to stay alive and to keep what parts he wanted.  This ship is his pride and joy, but it's been stripped to almost nothing of what it once was. He remembered it, the armour, the cannons, the crew...well, he still had most of his crew. After all, they're the ones that broke him out.
He could still see the betrayal, the escape, and how lucky they were to get out of it all with no problems.

"WHAT?! Jack shouted. "I told you, captain, your being reprimanded for illegal conduct." said High Admiral Zander. "If you are truly innocent, the court of law will say as much" he said. "The court of law can kiss my ass, I will NOT give you my ship, you will NOT get Void's End!" Jack shouted at the to of my lungs. Zander didn't even give any warning about the storming of the ship, he was just suddenly there next to his ship. The storming droids came in and went to Jack's office. He managed to take down two of them before they managed to grab him.

As the crew passed by, they stopped or dropped whatever they were holding from seeing their commander being dragged away like some kind of common criminal. Some shouted, some were even arrested themselves for trying to get him away from the droids. Jack nodded at the crew as he passed by, if he was going to go down, he wanted to look like the captain the crew respected, and not the criminal that bastard Zander is putting him out as.

He was put in front of Zander, who took his medals and his equipment on him. "I thought better of you Jack, I truly did, even thought about making you a commander, but I guess I was wrong." He ripped the last medal out of Jack's suit. "Quit talking to me like your some disappointed father chastising his child for his bad grades, you know me Zander, you know I would NEVER do this." Jack said as Zander took the pistol off of him. "As I stated before you shot my droids, the court of law has changed within the last 44 years, it is not the same as earth's was back in the 10's. If your innocent, you will be proven so." Jack knew that was bullshit, more so when he was "proven" guilty.
Jack sat in that cell for a month, since he was somewhat famous for his achievements back during the "Incedent" last year, he was given some luxuries for his sentence. He got an actual bed, a tv, and that was pretty much it.  However for him, these luxuries were more of an insult then an actual reward for what he has done. They took his ship, that thing was his Wife, his life, his LOVE! Who the fuck were they to take it? When would th-

A sudden explosion rocked the prison station. To be accompanied by the unlocking of his cell by his first hand, Lyssa.  She nodded to him and gave a mocking smile and tossed him a rifle, he caught it only barely, wondering what the fuck was going on. "You want to get out of here, captain?" she says. You don't even hesitate. When you get out you see both your Cutebold pilot, Max and one of your Un-gar crew members, Glant.

They both nod and say "captain" and he nods back.  It was almost easy enough to get out, Glant and Lyssa did most of the fighting, Max was just the pilot.  The four of them ran through and the sight of Void's end in the dock almost made him cry with joy. He went on board and instantly knew where to go to. He went to the gun controls and sent Max to his position at the front. Lyssa and Glant when to their positions ready to take down any soldiers that tried to stop them. With that, Max readied the warp drive as they all got ready.
Jack was surprised to see that almost all of his crew was still with him.  When the warp drive went off, Jack slumped back in his chair as the crew all cheered and laughed at the victory.  Oh, they would be hunted down, that was for sure, but it was worth it to be back with his ship.
Max was still piloting the ship and Jack was in his usual place, Blant and Lyssa both ready to board along side him. Considering it was only a month ago he was surprised they didn't send anyone sooner.  It was time to make their escape, and turn to a new life, the life they had him arrested for: time for some fucking piracy.

have the Mk.I's fire at the fighter while the Mk.III fire at the side armour(whichever side you picture facing it) while the warp drive warms up
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 11:56:43 pm by empfan »

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile

Valicum sits on the bridge, watching over his crew as they move about doing their daily business. He considered what they should do now, he had spent the last of there credits on a few missiles and PD rounds so they were now broke. The ship was decently armed for small engagements but it lacked the firepower to go up against anything larger than itself. Going back to his own system was out of the question, as far as they knew, this ship should be listed as a MIA due to the pirate attack but he had no doubt that if he started pirating his own people, his people's military would respond soon enough to get there ship back. As far as he could see....that left them with a single option.

He clears his throat and begins firing off orders. "Navigation, Set our course for inside the human border, if possible put us down near a mining base or something along those lines. Engineering, divert power to the jump engines." He presses a small button on his armrest. "Attention crew, prepare for a jump. I do believe it's time we got ourselves a lil action."   

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Everybody ready for launch? ... Excellent. Now, if you'll excuse me, I forgot to figure out what we're doing. Just sit tight for an hour or so while your captain goes bar hopping.))

Nrelshy watched the status screen as various officers reported that all systems were fully operational, and all supplies loaded. He nodded once to his Chief Officer, Perry.

"Captain standing down." He left the captain's chair, and Perry took his place

"Chief Officer assuming command."

He left the bridge, having previously decided to give the crew an hour to finish getting acclimated before launch. With no reported problems to fix, he would ask around for work. The ace pilot Rip would join him, having a finely honed sense of danger and quick reflexes. For the time being, he would stick to legal work. It tended to be safer, and neither the ship nor the crew were ready for real piracy.

Wander the more reputable bars with Rip, looking for honest work. The navigational officer will browse the planetary Internet for the locations of nearby debris fields, and gauge them for potential salvage.

Sinpwn

• Bay Watcher
  • That there guy with that face.
    • View Profile

K'zan inspected a few of the tools connected to his chassis as he though, almost all of them still mechanic odds and ends. It seemed that the first order of business was to find the resources to rebuold the station. That done, they would be in a much better position to seize the shipyard. He sent a command to the scanning systems of the ship to find the nearest junkyard. The scrap that they were going to salvage was probably in better shape than the station's plating before the fight, all things considered.
"This is Star's Glare to all station personnel. Proceeding to salvage yard. The old rust heap will be back up and running before you know it."
Find the nearest debris field and head on over.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile

Sai'oda tapped her long fingers on her red silk armrest, staring out at the debris field. There was something in there, she knew it-but what?

She remembered-the handsome mercenary-Breo-she had picked up drifting in space, had told her quite a story after they were done...

"...aaah. That feels good. The field, you say?"

She had nodded, motioning for him to continue.

"I know there's something in there. Normally, who put stock in rumors, right? But, I found someone...keep this between us, hmm?""

Sai'oda merely smiled.

"I was chasing some gambling consortium debt skippers in there...I mean, it's far out of the way-I guess they thought they could hide.

Well, I get there, and they're all gone. Destroyed by a bunch of Drone fighters-like, the old ones you see in vids some times. Uh, they got me too. As you can guess.

Now, I'm wondering what sort of honey pot somebody forgot about in there...I mean, lights no but nobodies home. If the military had done a reclamation, they'd of destroyed the drones, or disabled right? So...I figure salvage rights apply..."

The merc had grinned, and ran his hand over Sai'odas forehead. It sent a pleasant tingle up her spine.

"Get me a fighter. I'll show you where it is...I need a new gig anyway. Figure to stay around here a bit, get my cut. And...I'll stay around and see what happens between us. Who knows."

Of course, she had to kill someone. Nothing personal-but, the crew wouldn't accept another split of the loot. He knew that too...so, someone had to go. She had chosen the most unpopular member of the crew-one of those bugs, a Vantahin. Psychopath. Took too many risks, trying to 'raise his caste', he would always say. She didn't hesitate to splatter him against the deck with her revolver.

Now she had a new second in command. Breo was smart, tough, fast...loyal. And skilled in more ways than one. She was keeping an eye on him. Hopefully he wouldn't disappoint her, like the last one.

She gave the orders for her crew to drop distraction beacons-a simple thing, little more than a modified homing device that sent out the message to everyone in a large range "I'm right here!". She believed the drones would converge on them, and give her some time to get close to whatever they was protecting-failing that, she could destroy the drones piecemeal if she had to.

Action: Drop distraction beacons around the debris field in a circular fashion avoiding the large scouting parties, then move towards the base. Destroy any small groups of drones.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Spoiler: OOC (click to show/hide)

Go search for a mercenary job in the station; maybe finding something of interest for her ship as a reward. Also, if possible, go inquire on... 'special' trade goods that may be needed in other places. For G.C.

Aurin turned her gaze from the viewscreen, nothing that was already known was displayed there. The fact that the Empire patrol was on watch meant that she couldn't order the helmsman to navigate in deep space as the ship would be found out. She needed a cover story. She'd bet the Empire didn't know of the fall of Anima, nor of their current plight.

Spoiler: Even more flavor! (click to show/hide)

Maybe, working as a mercenary for now would give her a chance to both roam the stars and conduct her own interests where they won't be able to intervene; the only time where she wished they would come, too late to save her people, though.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 06:26:44 am by Tiruin »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Whoops sorry about that, I missed the Breaker Warheads when I was looking over your post, fixing now.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Turn 1 - Combat, and Missions

Captain Nrelshy, and Mr. Success (Nirur Torir)

The more 'Reputable Bars' on Centauri Station consist of about five bars with a strict no-weapons policy, and enough guards, that even if you manage to get a weapon by them you'd end up with several broken bones, and a slightly lighter purse. You, and Rip enter one such bar, the Sun's Spoils, and begin looking around, and chatting with the patrons of the bar in hopes of getting work. Most people decline your offer, most likely its the fact that your a free cutebold that makes them decline, but you can't be quite sure. Even with those you manage to get three job offers, one from a rather shady looking android in the corner of the bar, one from a merchant who could probably use a year of visits to a gym, and another from a rather outgoing young captain.

Rip:      "As I see it our best bet would be to take either of the escort jobs, the smuggling job doesn't sit well with me sir."
Rip has become a Specialist, Rip's Skill is Sense

Spoiler: Captain Nrelshy (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mr. Success (click to show/hide)

Captain Jack Scott, and the Void's End (empfan)

Phase 1: PD Turrets, and Fighters

As the enemy's fighters begin to close the familiar clangs of munitions being loaded can be heard, and the soundless firing of the Pd Turrets begins. Your guns get fifteen shots off as the fighters closed upon your position, the PD Rounds tear through the group, four of the fighters are destroyed as the rounds pierce their hull, or shred the ship to pieces under the heavy fire of the turrets. Even with the death of half their wing the fighter's press on, and close even further towards you, within seconds a volley of two missiles slams into your hull bathing it in a mixture of colors, and brightness illuminating the scarred features of the Void's End.

Phase 2: Light Frigate vs. Void's End

Several people on the bridge fall to the floor as they are knocked from their seats by the sheer force of the explosion, just as they recover the bridge shakes slightly, and the Shinra Cannon smashes into the forward hull of the enemy ship. The crumbled, and damaged hull plating cracks under the pressure of the shell, and a tear in the hull begins to vent atmosphere, and several crew members as they instantly die from the explosions, and lack of oxygen.

In answer to your cannon a volley from the Phalanx Battery bursts forth from the turrets, the green glowing, super heated particles fly past your hull, and slam into asteroids all around you. Several of the asteroids melt, or crumble under the blows drifting further into the asteroid fields.

4 Turns until Warp Engines are Ready

Spoiler: Captain Jack Scott (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Void's End (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: U.M. Forces (Enemy) (click to show/hide)

K'zan, and Star's Glare (Sinpwn)

You find a small debris field not far from the station, and fire up your warp drive to jump to its position, as your jump engines activate the ship lurches forward, then stops suddenly. Before you lies what you believe to be an ancient battle field as the hulks of ships unknown float across your view screen, and chunks of ship, and fighter alike brush against your hull. Within the field you spot a towering construction, built with great care, six rings encircle empty space with a station built around the center ring leaving an opening big enough for two Capital Ships to easily pass beneath its rings.

These constructions were common place in space, they were the Warp Gates, things built by a race, so ancient that even the oldest races have only a glimmer of their history stored away in long forgotten databanks, or hand written scrolls in languages unknown. The Galactic Empires had long since learned the secret to constructing these beings, but unlike the originals their copies only warped them to one location locked by another gate. This was one of the Ancient's Gates, and for all you know it could lead to one of the many abandon stations, or forgotten planets in deep space. Traveling through unknown Ancient's Gates is illegal, and likely to get you killed, but beyond riches untold may await you.

But you ignore it as you send a transmission back to bring some Scavenging Vessels over, within the hour fifteen of the makeshift vessels are making their way through the field, their numerous mechanical arms guiding chunks of valuable salvage to the cargo bays of their escorting cargo freighters. Your ship stands vigil between the salvage group, and the gate, the safety of those vessels was top priority if you wanted to get any help in your new life of piracy. In other news for finding the scrapyard the Cartel gave you a scavenging vessel, so you could scrounge some stuff up for yourself, it currently lays attached to your ship, the pilot waiting for orders.

5 Turns until Scavenging Complete.

Spoiler: K'zan (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Star's Glare (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: ?, Scavenger Vessel (click to show/hide)

Aurin Velias, and Misericordia Nex (Tiruin)

You ask around the station in the hopes of finding mercenary work, or ... to put it bluntly smuggling jobs. You do manage to find several of them though the details are pretty iffy on the smuggling jobs. You find two mercenary contracts, each with the same merchant company, and each through a message to your terminal, then the rest of your smuggling jobs came from the usual shady androids you met in the bars of the station.

Spoiler: Mercenary Contracts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Smuggling Jobs (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Aurin Velias (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Misericordia Nex (click to show/hide)

Praetor Valicum Trivonii, and Xiliosh (Xardalas)

Your warp drives power up quickly, and the familiar lurching, and sudden stop of warp travel hits you, along with the brief nausea involved with jumping through alternate dimensions. In front of you is a U.M. mining outpost, Epsilon B5, all around you cargo freighters, and mining vessels move about, transporting, and extracting the rich minerals from the asteroids all around them, luckily you jumped into  a large clearing of asteroid, but one wrong calculation would have put you aft first into one of the carrier sized asteroids all around.

The docking bays are open, and you could just land inside one of the docks, and head into the station, but an easier way would be to hail the station, and ask them for any supplies, and missions, or anything else you want.

Spoiler: Xiliosh (click to show/hide)

Captain Sai'oda Fresa, and Endless Fury (Dwarmin)

You spend several minutes dropping distraction beacons in several places, which easily attract both patrolling drone wings, and half those at the facility. Taking advantage of the lack of drones you fly into the cleared space around the station, and open fire on the drones that still remain at the station.

Phase 1: Turrets vs. Drones

Your weapons tear the drone ranks to shreds, instantly taking out twelve fighters as their hulls are punctured by the PD shells, and the burning hulks of the fighters litter the battlefield. Those that remain begin to retreat into the facility, a transmission comes to your ship ... from the drones. It is up to you, on whether you choose to receive it, or just blow the drones to bits.

Spoiler: Captain Sai'oda Fresa (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Endless Fury (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Drone Forces (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 08:52:06 pm by adwarf »

empfan

• Bay Watcher
  • Dungeon Keeper and part-time Firekeeper
    • View Profile

finish off the fighters and prepare to dodge with what little mobility the ship has.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile

Sai'oda Fresa took a moment to think...that's how she lived this long, anyway.

It was probably some sort of automated signal-leave or die, you are trespassing, blah blah. She didn't have time to bandy words with ancient junk. Especially since the brother drones would return in time...

She decided thirty seconds couldn't hurt.

Sai'oda nodded to her communications officer, Lem Sowksi, her quadeyes blinking slowly.

"Lem...open a channel. Hold our attack for thirty seconds. Keep us on our attack pattern."

Quick Action: Listen to the Drones for 30 seconds...
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Stop the assault, ship is not one of the Empire of Bataria. All ships return to normal patrol ..."

With that the comm shut off, and you were left wondering what was going on, you ask Lem if that was sent directly to you, but Lem replies "Nope it was just broadcasted to all nearby ships."

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's rather tempting to accept the merchant convoy job and then turn against them to side with the rebels, but the reputation as a backstabbing contract breaker would ultimately hinder my cause.

Accept the scavenger escort contract, return to the ship, search the local Internet for information on the rebels as we undock, and head for the rendezvous point.

Edit: I added a quick search for information on the rebels. I'm mostly interested their goals, morality, and relative strength.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 07:51:39 am by Nirur Torir »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10