Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Companion left me to defend myself from bogeymen.  (Read 2585 times)

jimbobobby

• Bay Watcher
  • Ally of turtles.
    • View Profile
Companion left me to defend myself from bogeymen.
« on: February 19, 2012, 04:57:59 pm »

Hey guys, I'm new to DF and recently tried out adventure mode and I read all over the forums that people get killed by bogeys because they are alone at night so I didn't want to become a victim of these and decided to recruit a swordsman as a companion. Thinking I was safe in the wild with my experienced blade wielding chap I decided to take a 4 hour nap, little did I know while I was slaughtering and torturing riding flying unicorn sheep through a rainbow in my slumber my muscle decided it was time to pack his bags and leave without thinking about either of our safety. I awoke a few minutes later because of disturbing incessant cackling, I knew it was something dangerous and since I was scared shitless I chose to dive into the nearby river. Less than a minute later a bogeyman joined me and started advancing in my direction, since there was only one and I was armed quite well I thought I could slowly drain his life while drowning and starving myself. I swam to him and thrusted my sword towards his stomach, missing in the process and also getting my lower body gored by one of his fucked up horns. Soon after 3 more of his friends jumped in and gang raped me while continually breaking my face. My question is why would my companion do this and what do I do when surrounded by these evil savages?
When I was younger, I was a baby.
The power of an Eskimo isn't really something you should just forget about, they can cut a hole in your ice and catch a fish in minutes.

Plazek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Companion left me to defend myself from bogeymen.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 05:17:47 pm »

Last time I got attacked by bogeys was right after I had done a quest and was returning to report my epic winraring.

I was almost back at the village when they came but not close enough. I set my attack preferences to always charge, this caused me to knock them over with every strike, even missing, buying me valuable fleeing time. Even better when I was able to do it on slopes as it would knock them down a level as well, laughing as I once again turned tail and they plummet a z level down with a thump. However it was not enough after a gruelling 10 minute chase suffering from a bruised lung (allegedly a mortal wound) my speed tanked down to 500 from being winded.

I should not have tried to fight the first one that wounded me and instead just knocked him down and ran. I was on the small track to the village, I recognised the landmarks, but I was struck down in sight of the huts. Set upon by 6 or so of the little bastards.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 05:19:38 pm »

1- He'd do it for the lulz.
2- Try to kite them and kill one by one. But if you're not demigod++, you just die and start over.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Fidel Franco Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: MODDING_RAWS: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 05:30:13 pm »

Hey guys, I'm new to DF and recently tried out adventure mode and I read all over the forums that people get killed by bogeys because they are alone at night so I didn't want to become a victim of these and decided to recruit a swordsman as a companion. Thinking I was safe in the wild with my experienced blade wielding chap I decided to take a 4 hour nap, little did I know while I was slaughtering and torturing riding flying unicorn sheep through a rainbow in my slumber my muscle decided it was time to pack his bags and leave without thinking about either of our safety. I awoke a few minutes later because of disturbing incessant cackling, I knew it was something dangerous and since I was scared shitless I chose to dive into the nearby river. Less than a minute later a bogeyman joined me and started advancing in my direction, since there was only one and I was armed quite well I thought I could slowly drain his life while drowning and starving myself. I swam to him and thrusted my sword towards his stomach, missing in the process and also getting my lower body gored by one of his fucked up horns. Soon after 3 more of his friends jumped in and gang raped me while continually breaking my face. My question is why would my companion do this and what do I do when surrounded by these evil savages?
Sometimes companion will leave your party, usually because you journey too far from them and fast travel. This is really the only reason I know, check the    (c)ompanion screen and if its says "Not Visible" try looking for them before you travel.
You lick the vampire blood from your large copper dagger.
You cut you tounge!
You are bleeding!
You have bled to death.

jimbobobby

• Bay Watcher
  • Ally of turtles.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 05:47:04 pm »

Sometimes companion will leave your party, usually because you journey too far from them and fast travel. This is really the only reason I know, check the    (c)ompanion screen and if its says "Not Visible" try looking for them before you travel.
I went to sleep with him about 3 squares away from me, but I don't think I need to worry about bogeymen anymore due to my bogey-proof plan. Before it is sleepy time I will surround myself with campfires and as long as I don't get attacked by someone/thing with a ranged weapon I should be invincible. 8)
The power of an Eskimo isn't really something you should just forget about, they can cut a hole in your ice and catch a fish in minutes.

Fidel Franco Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 05:54:04 pm »

I went to sleep with him about 3 squares away from me, but I don't think I need to worry about bogeymen anymore due to my bogey-proof plan. Before it is sleepy time I will surround myself with campfires and as long as I don't get attacked by someone/thing with a ranged weapon I should be invincible. 8)
Hm, no idea why he left then.
Be careful with the campfire plan. If the boggymen do attack you then you will not be able to get out. Although I guess you could hold wait until the crack of dawn.
You cut you tounge!
You are bleeding!
You have bled to death.

jimbobobby

• Bay Watcher
  • Ally of turtles.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 06:02:48 pm »

Be careful with the campfire plan. If the boggymen do attack you then you will not be able to get out. Although I guess you could hold wait until the crack of dawn.
Wait, campfires aren't like trees? I thought you couldn't walk through them. Well, I guess I better learn how to arrow to the bogeyman.

mnemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 09:03:15 pm »

If you fast travel when your companions are far away or unconscious they will be left behind.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 09:36:50 pm »

If he was hanging out when you went to sleep, he might have caught a glimpse of a ground hog or something similar far off screen.

Naturally, a companion is driven to seek out and destroy anything like a ground hog at any and all costs.

So basically, he saw something, you went to sleep and he ran far off into the wilderness chasing after some benign critter that was probably faster then him, never to return.

Fidel Franco Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 11:25:52 am »

Wait, campfires aren't like trees? I thought you couldn't walk through them. Well, I guess I better learn how to arrow to the bogeyman.
Oh and by the way, welcome to Dwarf Fortress, with bright shinny faces and homicidal elephants. Be sure to have a lot of !!FUN!! and ask questions.
You cut you tounge!
You are bleeding!
You have bled to death.

darklord1120

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 11:30:42 am »

I have a few theory's.

One being that you're playing on the 2nd newest version and are experiencing a bug that causes companions to get hungry and thirsty on the fast-travel map, this makes them go all derp and as far as i know, it makes them either walk very far away and die, or they leave you in search of a near-by town.

The other thing is, you didn't have enough companions. I normally need about 3 or 4 people in one group to be able to sleep nice and happy without being disturbed.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 11:32:38 am »

when fighting bogeymen kite them so you are only ever fighting one, and when you are fighting one aim for the easiest to hit  out of legs, hands, horns (if applicable), wings (if applicable), and head.

however remember bogeymen wont go down as easy as bandits, so make sure that if a dodge or a missed charge puts you between two of them, get out ASAP.

jimbobobby

• Bay Watcher
  • Ally of turtles.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 12:51:20 pm »

when fighting bogeymen kite them so you are only ever fighting one, and when you are fighting one aim for the easiest to hit  out of legs, hands, horns (if applicable), wings (if applicable), and head.

however remember bogeymen wont go down as easy as bandits, so make sure that if a dodge or a missed charge puts you between two of them, get out ASAP.
I have no idea what kite is so I tried wrestling with one and strangling it but unfortunately I had my lungs crushed, how many arrows do you think they are able to withstand?

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 01:01:20 pm »

run from them with always charge and move around and dodge on the others, make sure your only ever close enough to charge one and run, i kill em pretty easy but i'm sure if i stopped using that method of killing em and just charged in i'd still get torn to bits even tho i'm in full finely crafted+ iron armor.
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 01:02:07 pm »

I have no idea what kite is so I tried wrestling with one and strangling it but unfortunately I had my lungs crushed, how many arrows do you think they are able to withstand?
i dont think they feel pain, so you'd have to get lucky and get a headshot.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time
Pages: [1] 2