Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 25

Author Topic: Good regions being painfully good  (Read 87430 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Good regions being painfully good
« Reply #300 on: June 03, 2012, 10:40:03 am »

Nah, I get what you're saying! http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ElementalRockPaperScissors
I'm going to have to invoice you for that time, you know.

(It wasn't so many jumps to reading the notes about Wild Weasel (/SEAD) missions, actually, and I was dissapointed that the More Dakka page was one disallowed to have Real Life examples, but after a detour through The World Is Made Of Cardboard, and via a tenuous route revisiting the world of Firefly, I...  erm... well, I must have done something else during all this time, but I honestly can't remember what.  And that's while operating four separate computers on my desk here, only one of which was actually Troping...)

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: June 03, 2012, 01:35:03 pm »

Nah, I get what you're saying! http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ElementalRockPaperScissors

(It wasn't so many jumps to reading the notes about Wild Weasel (/SEAD) missions, actually, and I was dissapointed that the More Dakka page was one disallowed to have Real Life examples, but after a detour through The World Is Made Of Cardboard, and via a tenuous route revisiting the world of Firefly, I...  erm... well, I must have done something else during all this time, but I honestly can't remember what.  And that's while operating four separate computers on my desk here, only one of which was actually Troping...)

I always imagine people cackling evilly and muttering "Now they're gonna lose their whole afternoon!" when linking to that site.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 03, 2012, 04:32:07 pm »

SCP foundation is arguably worse.
Because then you lose your sleep time too.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Gitaxias

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOSHAME]
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 18, 2012, 11:55:46 pm »

One thought is that perhaps dwarves get entranced by the beauty of nature, but gobbos are less in tune with it due to being more evil, so they can still slaughter dwarves too entranced to worry. There could even be animals that grow resistant to the effects to kill things. On a similar note, there could be a small mood buff, but with the catch that above the "quite content" mood level, they no longer feel the drive to work hard and get productivity penalties.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: June 19, 2012, 02:53:33 pm »

I always imagine people cackling evilly and muttering "Now they're gonna lose their whole afternoon!" when linking to that site.

Well, I usually don't bother with the evil laugh, but I will deliberately link to TV Tropes on forums where it's popular knowing damn well people are going to get sucked in and waste several hours.   Muwahahahahaha!   And it seems to be a fairly popular site on this forum too, probbly related to the fact that I discovered DF over there, so this is a good place to post links. 

My sister recently confessed she's susceptible to getting sidedtracked on Wikipedia.  My response?

"Have you ever heard of a site called...TV Tropes?

I have to be careful when I'm doing this, because I can trap myself when I'm setting up links for other people.  OTOH, I'm familiar enough with the site at this point that it's a bit easier to restrain myself.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 02:58:22 pm by orius »
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 20, 2012, 05:58:01 pm »

Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: June 20, 2012, 08:49:49 pm »

Shit.

I guess I'll sleep a little later than usual.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 25, 2013, 03:49:56 am »

Just wanted to dredge this topic back up because I'd still like to see more challenge added to good regions.

auris2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 03, 2013, 01:04:09 am »

how about trees that when hacked at by a tree cutter, uproot and run away, or even defend themselves? would be funny and make the good aligned region less boring. maybe add a gnome race which worships trees, standing around them in prayer and killing anything which dares to chop down their beloved gods! maybe in good regions unicorns should attack you for butchering animals, as it goes against their moral code. maybe have more good aligned and brutal creatures spawn in to help the unicorns. tons of ideas!

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 03, 2013, 01:23:25 am »

how about trees that when hacked at by a tree cutter, uproot and run away, or even defend themselves? would be funny and make the good aligned region less boring. maybe add a gnome race which worships trees, standing around them in prayer and killing anything which dares to chop down their beloved gods! maybe in good regions unicorns should attack you for butchering animals, as it goes against their moral code. maybe have more good aligned and brutal creatures spawn in to help the unicorns. tons of ideas!

Interesting, but I would argue that unless guided by some supernatural force or a sentient race, then unicorns wouldn't attack you for moral reasons simply because, good as they may be, they're still animals with no/few ethics or morals. I could see the hypothetical gnomes using the unicorns in fights against you though, and the running tree idea seems neat (simply because I would like to capture these running trees  :) ). Still, more non-forest ideas would be interesting, what do you suppose a good desert or tundra could be like?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 01:44:09 am by kero42 »
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

auris2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 03, 2013, 01:46:47 am »

Interesting, but I would argue that unless guided by some supernatural force or a sentient race, then unicorns wouldn't attack you for moral reasons simply because, good as they may be, they're still animals with no ethics or morals. I could see the hypothetical gnomes using the unicorns in fights against you though, and the running tree idea seems neat (simply because I would like to capture these running trees  :) ). Still, more non-forest ideas would be interesting, what do you suppose a good desert or tundra could be like?
[/quote]

I would counter argue that unicorns are instructed by mothernature in their fight, as mother nature wants to preserve her good and peaceful biome. Also, I have never embarked on a tundra biome or area without trees, I couldn't survive in a biome without any trees. But to make a suggestion not involving trees... I think evil aligned creatures or races might invade every once and a while to try and convert the land [to sinister/terrifying]... you know good versus evil and all. Bonus points if toady adds powerful enemies which convert parts of your embark biome in real time, although this could take a ton of work seeing as how biomes are made during world gen. Actually, maybe during goblin sieges they could bring their own evil livestock/pets and slowly convert the land if they are not killed...

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 03, 2013, 12:37:10 pm »

So why must gnomes be shorter clones of elves? Seriously, we already have elves that worship trees and kill people who chop them.

Why must Good regions be lethal at all? The point of them is to be more hospitable, not to murder your dwarves or make them useless.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 03, 2013, 01:00:57 pm »

So why must gnomes be shorter clones of elves? Seriously, we already have elves that worship trees and kill people who chop them.

Why must Good regions be lethal at all? The point of them is to be more hospitable, not to murder your dwarves or make them useless.

Well, the point most people are trying to get across is that dwarves generally aren't a good-aligned race but usually (lawful?) neutral, not taking the actions of the player into account, and as such would most likely be considered invaders in a good region. Besides, we also already have the Benign/Neutral/Savage distinctions on top of it to allow for further variation.

If one where to settle a good region and not cut down any trees, dig up the ground too much, hunt the wildlife etc, you'd probably be accepted and not set upon by its magical denizens. Generally though, most players playing normally would upset the magical forces present and should suffer as a result. In a benign good region (Serene) there shouldn't be that many dangers. But a savage good region (Joyous wilds) should have you beset by Ents, Unicorns, Satyrs etc if you disturb the peace, in my opinion :P

Then again, arguing over how to interpret the "good" part of good regions is kind of moot since they'll most likely be revamped into the sphere alignment regions before any major changes are done :>
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 25