Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 25

Author Topic: Good regions being painfully good  (Read 87552 times)

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Good regions being painfully good
« Reply #180 on: March 21, 2012, 09:57:43 pm »

Can a good area be immediately next to an evil area, or will there always be a neutral buffer zone?
You can have good region and evil regions in adjacent biomes. I had a map like this recently.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 21, 2012, 10:39:49 pm »

Can a good area be immediately next to an evil area, or will there always be a neutral buffer zone?
You can have good region and evil regions in adjacent biomes. I had a map like this recently.

I prize areas like this, playing them whenever possible
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Watsst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 22, 2012, 01:05:27 am »

I prize areas like this, playing them whenever possible

I always go 'Aw that's gonna be awesome! Good and evil pitted against one another, hell yeah!', then have a look around and realize that there's nothing that special about good areas atm, and that undead thirp men have killed all my dwarves. Its especially so if you don't have unicorns, although I think Toady mentioned that he fixed the spawn rate of good and evil plants/trees?

Sidenote: My spellcheck always says dwarfs, I always write dwarves, and google says they both work.... WHICH ONE IS RIGHT?!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 22, 2012, 09:49:32 am »

There's... oh dear, let's try to get this right without a brain-fart... "dwarves" from Tolkien (and others) which is used within DF, "dwarfs" from Pratchett (and others, including the first person to edit Tolkien's work!) and used within his Discworld.  Tolkien also used "dwarrows" as the "Ye Olde Middle Earthish" version, IIRC, but mostly 'in camera', and not actually in his writings save for "dwarrowdelf"/Moria.  (Pratchett also has a number of other terms, in-universe, but anyone allergic to having their knees chopped off should avoid them.)

Canonically, the spelling in the raws that Toady uses is the standard Tolkienesque one, and what we should be using.  I'm corrupted (or, rather, was already a long time familiar with) by the PTerry version, and then I tend to get confused and get them the wrong way round.  Hopefully right in this post!

The acceptable forum plural is "Dorfs", so... if in doubt... ;)

(edit: Coincidence or not, this thread just got replied to again.  Happy reading. ;) )
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 09:53:40 am by Starver »

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 22, 2012, 08:59:04 pm »

Quote from: J.R.R. Tolkien
    It may be observed that in this book as in The Hobbit the form dwarves is used, although the dictionaries tell us that the plural of dwarf is dwarfs. It should be dwarrows (or dwerrows), if singular and plural had each gone its own way down the years, as have man and men, or goose and geese. But we no longer speak of a dwarf as often as we do of a man, or even of a goose, and memories have not been fresh enough among Men to keep hold of a special plural for a race now abandoned to folk-tales, where at least a shadow of truth is preserved, or at last to nonsense stories in which they have become mere figures of fun. But in the Third Age something of their old character and power is still glimpsed, if already a little dimmed; these are the descendents of the Naugrim of the Elder Days, in whose hearts still burns ancient fire of Aule the Smith, and the embers smolder of their long grudge against the Elves; and in whose hands still lives the skill in work of stone that none have surpassed.
    It is to mark this that I have ventured to use the form dwarves, and remove them perhaps, from the sillier tales of these latter days. Dwarrows would have been better; but I have used that form only in the name Dwarrowdelf, to represent the name of Moria in the Common Speech: Phurunargian. For that meant 'Dwarf-delving' and yet was already a word of antique form.

And there you have it, Tolkien used dwarves more or less because people associated Dwarfs with things like Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs; as such, people might have taken them less seriously than he wanted.

Watsst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 23, 2012, 01:51:42 am »

I learnt something today. And good, I had the right sort of spelling, Im not at fault!

brainfreez

• Bay Watcher
  • THIS IS !
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 27, 2012, 08:25:07 am »

As it stands, good regions don't have anything going for them except good aligned creatures, and evil regions get all the fun >:3

So, what if good regions got their counterpart (yes has been suggested a few dozen times before), but instead of doing good, they follow the theme of being too good.

Blotches of light blue clouds rolling over your Dwarves, turning them into good aligned husks, or some particularly "good" counterpart. Then said good husks killing everything. Or maybe just converting your other Dwarves to the goodness!

Maybe it does something good, that would be unwanted? Like good rain that's so blissfully serene that it makes everything unconscious! Or maybe just happy ;P

Or at the very least, working good aligned plants that move ;)
\

Why should good do something bad to you?

better would be Good Little birds that sing so good that it makes your dwarves with good musical sense to stop the laboring and just sit down and listen to the good music or start working slower to enyoy the music, it should get a good tought about "listening good music on soft grass(or hard stone floor)".But that would be anoying , because your dwarves (with good musical sense ) would be gathering around the bird to listen it and would stop working.I think the bird should sing for a half day .

Or the fluffy "Cute animal name here" animal , wich dwarves (who like this animal) would just pick it up and adopt it , the dwarf should try to catch it by any cost ("underwater exploration", a big fall from a big mountain or "meeting with the uninvited guests") . The animal could be tamed , but while its still Wild , the dwarf should keep it in its room and get a happy tought.

The good region should have good , but anoying not evil creatures !

(all of the animals could get killed by your military !)
I am currently investigating what Brainfreez is on. It is the greatest drug that any man, woman, kobold or pony has ever seen, going off of that everything he posts is pure win.
Sleyerhero90 : You're battle-rapping with a guy who supported THE SAME FREAKING GUY YOU DO!
Breainfreez : wait .... really ?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 27, 2012, 09:00:01 am »

[...] Maybe it does something good, that would be unwanted? [...]
Why should good do something bad to you?

[...]Good Little birds[...] make dwarves ... stop working.

dwarves catch [a creature] by any cost

Maybe I've unfairly edited/highlighted this, but what you replied to was full of "so good it's bad" ideas, which you appear to deride and then... gave your own alternatives that were "so good it's bad" as well.  Basically, that's one of the main ideas.

(The other main alternative being that the place is so Good-aligned that it automatically starts a Gaia-like Holy War against you when your nasty, sneaky hobitises dwarves arrive and start defiling the place.  Just like places that are evil-aligned find your wishy-washy pansy-dwarves a right-royal pain in the arse, totally unworthy of inhabiting the territory, and try to terminate you with extreme prejudice...  But with a whole different set of weapons and tactics in their respective armouries.)

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 27, 2012, 10:32:15 am »

Personally, I think good regions shouldn't be overtly hostile...At first that is...

Once you start cutting down trees and killing animals, and soaking the land with the blood of nonevil creatures, shit gets real, and the good region becomes passive aggressive (faeries steal your stuff, mess with your dorfs, plants start hitting back), and if you keep going, flat out aggressive (plants come to life and siege your fortress ocassionally, and animals are extremely hostile. Faeires go from mischevious to downright malevolent, and start flipping levers, destroying food and items, and locking/unlocking doors)

I think that should combine with the "good but also helps enemy" thing like healing mists and pacifying rain
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 27, 2012, 12:10:52 pm »

Well now it occurs to me that what I really want is a pop-up message, along the lines of "You have found adamantine! Praise the miners!", that simply says "Shit just got real."

I think this has to go in the Eternal Suggestions list.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 27, 2012, 12:25:09 pm »

Sorry if this was brought up before in this thread, since I can't quite remember everything said in it, but...

Actually, I just did some looks back on the talk of the upcoming Personality Rewrite that were discussed a little over a year ago, and one of the major things Toady was talking about was in making personality traits that more specifically are "bad" or even "evil".  As in "this dwarf likes hurting other people" or "this dwarf has criminal tendencies". 

If we're talking about personality-changing good auras around these places, then such personality traits would be obvious targets for them, and would both make the "good clouds" possibly have a "good" purpose (makes criminal dwarves reconsider their life choices), and have a non- "Good is just like evil, but with rainbows" type of effect.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Radiant_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE_CLASS:MODDER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 27, 2012, 04:58:12 pm »

Urist McAxeLord cancels kill dragon: in love

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 27, 2012, 05:28:38 pm »

Reciprocated..?

(I'm also think of an "Errol and 'The King'" situation, for those that get the reference.)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 27, 2012, 05:39:19 pm »

Quote from: Donkey
Look at all my little mutant babies...

I'm gonna need a job.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

obolisk0430

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 25, 2012, 08:31:23 pm »

I like the idea of good locations being challenging in their own way, and not parallel to evil biomes.  However, I think having something nice that also affects thermos is kind of dumb.
Let this be a lesson to us all: Immortality is only temporary. That's why its called immortality.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 25