Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 25

Author Topic: Good regions being painfully good  (Read 87437 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Good regions being painfully good
« Reply #285 on: June 01, 2012, 12:40:06 pm »

What does sphere land imply?

Sort of that instead of having generic Good/evil lands of different degrees, we'll have lands associated to the different deities and their spheres. For example lands of fertility, lands of murder, lands of wealth etc.

It would even be possible to include multiple ones. Like a land of Fire and Animals.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: June 01, 2012, 11:57:27 pm »

The different spheres could definitely embody all the different interpretations on this thread. Like hospitality being good for everyone at once, nature smiting polluters, etc.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: June 02, 2012, 12:23:09 am »

And then there's be an easy mode too, lands of fortresses. Probably they'd have faster construction+digging.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: June 02, 2012, 12:43:27 am »

Or, y'know, having a spoiler fortress under each tile.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 02, 2012, 06:54:23 am »

What does sphere land imply?

Sort of that instead of having generic Good/evil lands of different degrees, we'll have lands associated to the different deities and their spheres. For example lands of fertility, lands of murder, lands of wealth etc.

It would even be possible to include multiple ones. Like a land of Fire and Animals.

Didn't Boatmurdered already do that one? :D
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: June 02, 2012, 04:03:47 pm »

To everyone who was arguing against me about good lands protecting themselves: Look, I get it. You think that good lands should only want to help themselves. I get that. It's just that you happen to be describing behavior which is more selfish than self-defense.
To those arguing that giving everyone bonuses =/= a new challenge: Imagine infinitely respawning goblins as they keep coming back to life. Imagine a cloud of dealing mist rolling onto a hunted animal, undoing a dozen bolts of damage. Imagine dwarves oversleeping. Imagine a dwarf falling into lava, screaming, but the land heals him of all his burns, until the dwarf goes insane. Imagine these and a hundred, a thousand other times when a well-meaning land tries to make everyone happy and safe. How are these anything but new challenges one coming into a good area would need to overcome?
To those arguing that this is a redundant thread, since spherical biomes will replace those that are merely good or evil: This is all stuff that should be added to some sphere-biome or another. Probably healing or life, for most of them.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: June 02, 2012, 05:41:55 pm »

It's my opinion that this discussion is redundant, as we recalled many times Toady is going to remove this function in favour of more variety. However, I think that in the spirit of patience, these ideas have the potential to flesh the game out in the meantime. I don't think that Good regions should help indiscriminately though. I feel they would be more inclined to help the natives to good land, or at least only what naturally occurs in good land.
That would translate to hunters gathering far less meat, farmers bringing less crops, due to the good soil avoiding these invasive plants, and perhaps accidents could happen to your dwarves and other invading things (such as tiredness, unrelenting soberness, an unwillingness to attack  their enemies).

Just some thoughts that I don't expect anyone to agree with. I also hope Toady has time to get rid of this line in favour of some more interesting developments.
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: June 02, 2012, 05:52:12 pm »

Tell me, is good more reclusive and hateful of outsiders, or more loving and friendly to them? If the latter, you should see the issue; if the former, we need to work on agreeing on what good is first.

Also, while I can see good lands hindering hunting, why would they impede farming? Plump helmets and prickle berries are as native to good caverns and fields as neutral or even evil ones.
Finally, once again, most of this stuff we're suggesting would be useful once spherey biomes are in. Even the ones I don't like--many would be good for the vengeance sphere or something.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Dorfimedes

• Bay Watcher
  • The Human Baby is caught in a burst of flames!
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 02, 2012, 06:29:13 pm »

I think I remember reading in one of the DF talks that toady wanted to give certain entities (like forest spirits) control over regions. That would nullify the entire issue, who and why the environment helps people would be up to the entity. So you would have your sickeningly sweet, indiscriminately benevolent being of pure light in charge of a good forest in one place, and in another you might have a spirit that chooses to you use discretion when helping others. And on the other end of the spectrum you would have spirits that are incredibly xenophobic to anything that doesn't meet their definition of "good," a.k.a. Lawful Stupid.
"It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Someone who has never played DF.

The Human Baby has died in the heat.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: June 02, 2012, 07:34:40 pm »

Maybe it would be an idea to make a new thread for sphere land suggestions (my search didn't show any existing) and list all the current deity spheres along with suggestions for which effects would be suitable for each of them? ^^

Edit: As well as copying the relevant bits from here ofc.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: June 02, 2012, 07:49:55 pm »

There's a little something I'm working on for my own pleasure (erm, IYSWIM) which I might spill a few details of for demonstrative purposes for an alternate POV...  I suppose (thinking about it, right now) it's a bit Rock, Paper, Scissors, which seems to suggest that it works as a concept.  (Oh good, I had been rather worried that it wouldn't...)

Civilisations/entities are defined by three main compass-points, being warlike, expansionist and/or secretive.  A warrior race has an advantage over an expansionist one (at least at first meeting), the expansionist race out-competes the secretive and insular type, while this third group can inveigle themselves under the radar of the warlike species.  (However, there are also blends of qualities, but it does make them less effective in a shared quality than a 'pure' one, and the outcome would depend on the balances of each quality, and the nature of the encounter.)

Who's Good and Bad?  Well, any civilisations themselves are 'Good' (sections of the society may tend towards somewhere else on the continuity, of course) and 'Bad' is the power-type that considers this society to be a walk-over.  But the walk-overable power-type...  Well, probably not even worth a passing consideration (despite the reciprical concerns).

So, how might we put that in DF terms?  Well, current evil zones are ones that should just walk over standard dwarves that settle.  In various ways, players have devised methods to fight (or shield themselves from) this onslaught.  Doesn't tend to stop the natural attacks from happening.  Meanwhile,  Neutral/Good zones (as defined by DF) are equally "my place", for the player dwarves, even though no natural home form them is in DF's Good-defined areas.

But what are the Elves thinking?  Dwarfs digging up their land, felling their trees!  They'd probably find ('Neutral') bare-rock mountainside inhospitable in the extreme, but might they have some kind of "turn undead" ability for the zombie wildlife?  And let's say for argument that Goblin civs would find the natural flora and fauna of the so-called-'Evil' areas to be much like a nature reserve and (normal player defences notwithstanding) Neutral mountains just a bit less full of undead stuff, but imagine their problems when trying to live among Unicorn herds!

It's not an exact equivalence (I suppose that taking 'Evil' as 'Warlike', that would make Neutral as Expansionist and Good as the third aspect, but I can see alternate mappings, too), and I'm taking definite liberties in that last paragraph, but perhaps imagine that sphere-alignment is like RPS (RPSLizardSpock, or even like RPS101) so that for any two spheres, one is dominant so that a (to take an RPS101 element) a Castle-type sphere race is good to go into a Rain-sphere area (while a Rain-type race has a disadvantage in a Castle-sphere area) due to the "Castle providing shelter from rain", while anything Water-based (Water, itself being dominated over its neighbouring Rain item) has a natural ability to overcome a Castle-based element, in whatever capacity, due to a "Water floods/erodes Castle" relationship.

Though given the contrivance of some of the RPS101 dominance/subservience reasons, I'm not entirely sure that there'd be an easy route towards arranging DF's own compliment of spheres into perfectly balanced order around the circle-of-competition.  OTOH, if it's taken merely as an edge of one over another (and, as we know, dwarves can populate Hell, never mind significantly subdue an Evil biome) it needn't even be perfectly balanced, anyway.  And in the case of multi-sphered alignments there might be positive and negative modifiers for any particular entity or region interacting with another entity or region.

I was replying here immediately after (though not necessarily in reference to) GreatWyrm.  But, in the usual nature of such synchronicity, I can see points made by Dorfimedes and Manveru Taurener, in-betweentimes, that meld to what I'm saying.  Especially the idea of gathering together the known spheres.  Anyhow...

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: June 02, 2012, 07:55:06 pm »

Maybe it would be an idea to make a new thread for sphere land suggestions (my search didn't show any existing) and list all the current deity spheres along with suggestions for which effects would be suitable for each of them? ^^

Edit: As well as copying the relevant bits from here ofc.
I've been meaning to do that for a while.

Starver: Are you suggesting that semi-sentient biomes help or hinder others based on their own alignment/ethics? Sounds...Fun, I guess.
Sig

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: June 02, 2012, 08:52:05 pm »

Maybe, or maybe just that those that attempt to occupy a place are given help or hindrance according to their ability to dominate the locale or tendency to be overcome by it.  You're an agricultural-esque grouping, fertile lands are your bread-and-butter (in some respects, literally?) but surviving on a bleak, remote mountain-side is another issue.  Someone else might relish hunting mountain-goats, but can't handle the verdant river-plains, with so much goddarn life!  What are you supposed to do with seeds?  It seems like everything grows but what you want to grow.  And the stuff that moves...  The bugs?  They're huge and many!  And will eat you alive!  Trees and long grasses obscure your view of hostile carnivors and the undergrowth is full of plants with spikes and poisonous bits!  Is that a tiger, in that dappled shadow, or just a dappled shadow?  Ouch!!  Did I mention the bugs?!?  And have those shadows moved!?!  Bugger this, give me my bow, I'm off back to the mountains!

Dorfimedes

• Bay Watcher
  • The Human Baby is caught in a burst of flames!
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: June 03, 2012, 03:30:44 am »

*snip*

Nah, I get what you're saying! http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ElementalRockPaperScissors

I think it sounds pretty exciting, actually! It kind of makes sense, certain races might have an affinity for one sphere, and a certain sphere might be sort oppositely aligned to them and thus be hostile. Gods, I can't wait until spheres are implemented.
"It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Someone who has never played DF.

The Human Baby has died in the heat.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: June 03, 2012, 08:16:44 am »

Maybe, or maybe just that those that attempt to occupy a place are given help or hindrance according to their ability to dominate the locale or tendency to be overcome by it.  You're an agricultural-esque grouping, fertile lands are your bread-and-butter (in some respects, literally?) but surviving on a bleak, remote mountain-side is another issue.  Someone else might relish hunting mountain-goats, but can't handle the verdant river-plains, with so much goddarn life!  What are you supposed to do with seeds?  It seems like everything grows but what you want to grow.  And the stuff that moves...  The bugs?  They're huge and many!  And will eat you alive!  Trees and long grasses obscure your view of hostile carnivors and the undergrowth is full of plants with spikes and poisonous bits!  Is that a tiger, in that dappled shadow, or just a dappled shadow?  Ouch!!  Did I mention the bugs?!?  And have those shadows moved!?!  Bugger this, give me my bow, I'm off back to the mountains!
Ah, so pretty much the same thing I thought you meant, only with cause and effect reversed. I see now.
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 25