Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Suffocated Hydra  (Read 3513 times)

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
Suffocated Hydra
« on: February 19, 2012, 03:30:53 pm »

So I'm playing on my gf notebook, generated a new world and char, only to have it killed by a bunch of outcast.
Then, I make another one. Demigod human (because I made my world with lots of wildlife and titans and stuff), talk to some villagers about quests and lairs, and have a look at the map.

I notice that people didn't ask me to kill whatever was hidden in a lair right beside the city.
I went there, out of curiosity, when it suddenly appears that screen..
"Hydra: ...
Hydra: ... (slayed X)".

So, my character never even got into combat, and the first thing he sees is an Hydra.
Okay then, since I have some time, let me run in circles throwing sharp rocks, my shield and my sword at it until it dies.

Turns out it worked. I was a Dabbling thrower, now I'm a Proficient thrower.
One of my shield throws even brained one of the heads.

I could probably retire this guy, so he will be known as "The guy that took a day off to kill the neighboring Hydra with rocks."

--
After reporting success, degnu is now a Hero in the whole..pocket island!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 03:58:16 pm by Gabeux »
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
Re: Suffocated Hydra
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 03:36:46 pm »

Thanks! OP gave me a chuckle.

Did you wreck all its heads, then? Or did upper spinal column damage lead to suffocation?
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 03:43:54 pm »

See Urist McHuman over there?

-Yep

He killed a hydra by throwing boulders at it.

-No way

Yep

-Nuh uh

The spinning bronze scimitar strikes the merchant in the skull, severing many arteries and crushing the skull!

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 03:47:04 pm »

Good to hear! I made an "wtf" face when the Hydra died, but laughed after that..haha

Nope, I just kept throwing things at it, but it only bruised skin/muscle and some organs.
Then I noticed that after it bruised the right lung twice, it started getting Winded for some turns.
I've thrown so many things at it that I stopped reading the announcements, but I noticed it bruised both lungs a few times.

I think I'll take it's body back town and leave there for eternity, with some rocks around it.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 03:58:57 pm »

Probably the bruised lungs that did it in, then.

It might be some peculiarity of hydras that might have made it easy to kill by damaging it's lung capacity.

Too many heads or brains or something, I guess.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 04:00:30 pm »

Good to hear! I made an "wtf" face when the Hydra died, but laughed after that..haha

Nope, I just kept throwing things at it, but it only bruised skin/muscle and some organs.
Then I noticed that after it bruised the right lung twice, it started getting Winded for some turns.
I've thrown so many things at it that I stopped reading the announcements, but I noticed it bruised both lungs a few times.

I think I'll take it's body back town and leave there for eternity, with some rocks around it.
It will rot, better leave it in its lair.
i remember stuff doesnt rot in lairs.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 04:04:32 pm »

Found the rock, thought it deserves a screen too..

It will rot, better leave it in its lair.
i remember stuff doesnt rot in lairs.

True, hope it doesn't rot.
Left some rocks I've thrown there, and will keep the legendary one!

Andal

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning! Fourth wall breached!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 04:04:55 pm »

I assume you mean leave it there until you learn the secrets of life and death and then roll with a zombie hydra, right?
When I was reorganizing my inventory to fit all by books on life and death into various bags and things, I looked at my inventory and saw that I was multigrasping a necromancer slab.  It was pretty hilarious.
I think that would be an excellent way to impart the critical lessons of life and death to the ignorant masses.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 04:09:57 pm »

-EDIT: nevermind, my internet went funky, sorry for double post-
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 04:13:31 pm by miauw62 »

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 04:12:38 pm »

Also, can you give -sharp- rocks nicknames?

I assume you mean leave it there until you learn the secrets of life and death and then roll with a zombie hydra, right?

For extra dorf points, equip the hydra whit the rock that killed it (if possible).
By the way, can you give rocks nicknames?

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 04:14:31 pm »

See Urist McHuman over there?

-Yep

He killed a hydra by throwing boulders pebbles at it.

-No way

Yep

-Nuh uh

The spinning bronze scimitar strikes the merchant in the skull, severing many arteries and crushing the skull!

FTFY

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 04:17:36 pm »

Bwhaha, yes! Too bad I don't have much time to play today, but I'll try it as soon as possible.
This guy "..took a day off to kill an Hydra with rocks pebbles, and got obsessed with the fact that he could roll with a zombie Hydra".

For extra dorf points, equip the hydra whit the rock that killed it (if possible).
By the way, can you give rocks nicknames?

I don't think you can equip it, nor give nicknames, but both things would be awesome!

Inside the Hydra's lair I found a pair of iron gauntlets and an iron mail shirt.
My most awesome aventure-beggining ever.

-
Oh-oh. I made such a harsh world that I don't think there are Necro Towers around.
Any ideas?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 04:23:52 pm by Gabeux »

Andal

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning! Fourth wall breached!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 04:26:34 pm »

Oh-oh. I made such a harsh world that I don't think there are Necro Towers around.
Any ideas?

So much sadness right now.
When I was reorganizing my inventory to fit all by books on life and death into various bags and things, I looked at my inventory and saw that I was multigrasping a necromancer slab.  It was pretty hilarious.
I think that would be an excellent way to impart the critical lessons of life and death to the ignorant masses.

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 04:26:46 pm »

Have you looked into the Legends? No secret-bearing books listed at all?

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2012, 04:30:20 pm »

Have you looked into the Legends? No secret-bearing books listed at all?

This is my first world with unrevealed history... so, does this mean my char received a life-long quest of discovering the secrets of Life and Death on a pocket island full of titans, demons and weird stuff walking around?
CHALLENGE ACCEPTED. (good thing I disabled Boogeymans)
Pages: [1] 2