Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 30

Author Topic: [Succ. 34.11+] Watchedgleam (necro-, demon- and vampire-con; free elf-delivery!)  (Read 80750 times)

HARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Succession 34.02+] Watchedgleam (part evil, savage, tower, elven war)
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2012, 01:33:08 pm »

Wynz's Journal:

32rd Hematite
We arrived! the road was long and dangerous, our group was ambushed by elves losing a few good fighters,
fortunately, we managed to fight off enemies and get to the place in the number of 5 persons, most importantly, two married couples are doing well, we must protect them at all costs, we need progeny, fresh blood...

So here's the infamous camp which is to ensure the survival of our civilization, at first glance, everything looks... poorly, the area give you a tingle on the back, at least we have provided food and shelter,
we are all tired of wandering in the woods, damn elves! I'll personally torn out their ears and make a necklace!

After a quick conversation with our Commander Felcis I learned that my combat skills would be useful, I heard that our miners found iron, that's great, i need a new spear, my last stuck in elfs body...

It's time to eat and get some sleep, as soon as i regain strength after this suicide trip i will train harder than ever,
I still have in my eyes images of burning cities and my wife scream in my ears, it's gonna be a hard night.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 04:43:03 pm by HARD »

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2012, 03:34:09 pm »

Spishaban the Fisherman? That has a nice ring to it :P

Nonetheless, since this is an evil/savage territory and I don't want to die horribly so early on, I suggest making a fortified area around the two ponds near the wagon (or the river, whatever floats your boat) for a grazing/above ground farming area, and designating that as the only fishing zone.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Felcis

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes his war leopard, rawr~
    • View Profile
    • RadicalFishGames DevLog
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2012, 06:51:48 pm »

Winter 251:
21th Moonstone:
The trading went pretty all things considered. Anti-Paragon was able to secure all the wood, leather, cloth, seeds and food and also a bit of armor and 2 cows for our stone crafts. Unfortunately those cows both turned out to be bulls on closer inspection, but they are still precious meat when we hit hard times. The traders left immediatly after everything was done. I can't say where exactly, but I guess they will try to trade with other dwarven communities as well and hopefully also win allies.
Afterwards our diligent "Administrator" has started a long talk with the outpost liason from the mountainhomes (or whatever counts for that these days).

He still isn't finished and it seems like it will still take quite some time.

3rd Opal:
The diplomatic conversation is still going apparently. Meanwhile another haunting cloud appeared in the south.

And another one appeared in the northeast a week later. I will spare you another sketch of that. You should know how it looks by now.
Also a bold honey badger stole some of our precious traded cheese.

That might be the most grevious blow that the wild creatures of this area have dealt us so far. I swear that this will not be forgotten!

13th Opal:
And yet another grand cavern has been found by our honored miners.

It gets walled of again, but I still want to give the miners some well deserved praise. Without the hard work of Nemica, Arceia and that other one our fortress would never be that secure and grand already. May they see the halls they dug up thrive and prosper in over twohundred yeas from now!
Also our equally honored Administrator finally finished the discussion with the liason. He mostly requested certain ores and metals, fuel, leather, wood and food and received some wishes from our other surviving settlements in return.

Most of those requests seem reasonable, since weapons will be needed dearly when elves come raiding and hunting. I don't see great use in trinkets and toys, but I won't question the wisdom of our last surviving leaders. We will deliver as good as we can.

14th Obsidian:
Our miners hit molten rock a few days ago, which can usually be seen as a sign that the lowest point of safe mining has been reached.

They also warned me about the warmth that radiated from some of the stones in that area, which might be a sign of magma. Since we are very low on fuel I ordered them to find that magma as fast as possible. With the magma at our disposal we can finally start to effectively produce our own deadly arsenal of weapons and our own protective armor. I trust the experience of our experts to be as careful as necessary in those delicate areas.

15th Obsidian:
My...shame knows no bound. I won't and can't find excuses for this desaster. My ambition and impatience led to a catastrophe.

I urged our diggers to speed up their mining-processes and in all their hectic one of them mined away a wall that kept away the burning flood. Our lowest two mining layers flooded in almost no time. And still, even in the face of certain death they spend their last words for the greater good of the fortress by shouting about the discovery of the most valuable material on earth up the mining shaft.

Adamantine...it must be the legendary metal of the gods, the only metal more powerful than steel. Their sacrifice was not totally in vain, but still...it was unnecessary and rash and simply inexcuseable.

There have to be consequences. Our 2 best miners are dead and the third one is nowhere to be seen. I can not allow myself to continue this leadership anymore. I will have a talk with administator Anti-Paragon about passing the leadership to someone else.

17th Obsidian:

My conversation with the administrator has been postponed because of an interruption by some lawless kobold.

I wanted to catch and punish him, to at least prove my worth as a soldier but he fled.

But I hear shouts about goblins in this very moment.

There is no time to lose. I will call Wynz and catch that scoundrel. I will continue this entry later.

[This entry was written on a seperate ragged note that someone added into the journal later on. It is written with thick lines of blood.]
2?th Obsidian:
Enemy is dead...killed by a mighty shieldbash of Wynz.

Good soldier...shame what happened to his hand. Should've had some gauntlets...

It hit me good as well...can't feel my leg....and that from a mere thief...

Goblin silver piercing dwarven iron, surely divine punishment for my failure.
Now I am here on the grass. No one helped me so far...not sure if I even deserve help...2 good people dead, one still missing.

Impatience and stupidity...their deaths for my mistakes. Now fate turned against me...

I feel the first signs of spring. They should already have decided for a new leadership. Do what you must for the best of our people. Might be I can still be of use, might be I end here. Just...please add this note I wrote with my own blood to my journal so my words will be remembered..

~ Felcis Komansolon, former Overseer of Watchedgleam

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FFS, that last month has to be one of the most embarrassing experiences I've ever had with DF. Yes, I seriously dug into warm rock...I guess I was a bit distracted and didn't really pay attention or something. Just...sorry to all those awesome miners lost (Nemica was already legendary). xD
On the plus-side: Archereon can have a new dorf now. =D

And the disaster with the goblin thief was also loads of bad luck I guess, but oh well. The rest of the year went very well so we should be okay overall. It just forced me to go a bit unconventional with the transition,since no one wanted to pick my dwarf up (a health care bug I think). I tried building a small surface room around him to place a bed under him and create a mini-hospital, but there wasn't enough time. Maybe you have a better solution. And do some memorials for our miners while you are at it. xD
I was able to do most of the things I planned to. There is still no real metal-industry of course, a few nobles-rooms are still not quite finished, we still have no graveyard and a general housing problem. But our general supplies are good.
I will do another spellcheck on this post tomorrow, I am too beat right now. xD

Anyway here is the most important thing: SAVE SPRING 252
I removed my graphics and I think you should do the same after your turn. Have fun with it and lead us to glory!

Nemica

• Bay Watcher
  • Prefers to consume diet coke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2012, 07:09:08 pm »

Wow. That was... uneventful. Well, I still want to be redorfed, probably with the next mirgrant wave. Female Mechanic.#

Also, thanks to some dorfy solutions I got my craptop to stand on top of a few dice so that it doesn't overheat that easily anymore. So, yeah, I can take my turn.

HARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2012, 07:20:00 pm »

Aww poor miners, Felcis check your msg box please :P

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2012, 08:06:19 pm »

Can I be redorfed as a doctor?
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2012, 08:44:49 pm »

Oi Felcis, I recommend you get into the habit of PMing people when their turn has come. Not everyone checks the thread on a regular basis, so it's a good idea to send them a reminder just in case, so pointless downtime is prevented.

I really like how this fort is shapin' up. It could use a bookkeeper and hammerer, a hospital (so Felcis doesn't die of infection), a protected courtyard (to keep those pesky elves out), and a makeshift jail (to tide me over until my turn comes), but it has potential alright. Someone get me a crossbow to practice with so I can start doing sheriff things.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 08:58:33 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

empfan

• Bay Watcher
  • Dungeon Keeper and part-time Firekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2012, 11:14:20 pm »

Hell, I'll take a dorf, if its an animal keeper and a trainer, that would be great.

I'd take a turn but I have no idea how to even begin with a succession game, never been in one  :-\

Quick question though, if I do become a player, how would I post pics? any way to do it via something in dwarf fortress?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 12:14:14 am by empfan »

Felcis

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes his war leopard, rawr~
    • View Profile
    • RadicalFishGames DevLog
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2012, 03:04:49 am »

Oi Felcis, I recommend you get into the habit of PMing people when their turn has come. Not everyone checks the thread on a regular basis, so it's a good idea to send them a reminder just in case, so pointless downtime is prevented.
Yeah, I know. I just forgot it because I was a pretty tired and all. I will send the PM now.  :)

I really like how this fort is shapin' up. It could use a bookkeeper and hammerer, a hospital (so Felcis doesn't die of infection), a protected courtyard (to keep those pesky elves out), and a makeshift jail (to tide me over until my turn comes), but it has potential alright. Someone get me a crossbow to practice with so I can start doing sheriff things.
I alreay started a makeshift hospital, but we still need a real one, yes. A small jail has been started as well (the one next to the sheriff's office) and Anti-Paragon is also supposed to be our Bookkeeper...I just didn't get his rooms properly done in time.
There actually seems to be a little healthcare bug with my dwarf, as no one tries to bring him to a hospital bed. That's why I was trying to build a little romm around him on the outside and place a bed under him. I didn't have enough time though.

@Archereon: Well, we already have slowpokez as a doctor, but maybe you can have that position once someone more skilled comes along.

Quick question though, if I do become a player, how would I post pics? any way to do it via something in dwarf fortress?
I just do regular screencaps and cut them to the right size with a graphic program. Not sure if there are better and faster ways to do that.

HARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2012, 05:09:50 am »

http://uosu.net.pl/

good soft to take screenshots

Stoutpants

• Bay Watcher
  • Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
    • View Profile
    • Drunk Fortress!
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2012, 06:35:17 am »

Posting to watch. If you would dorf me I'd be grateful.
Follow my Drunk Fortress here!

TheXanatosGambit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2012, 08:23:21 am »

Downloading just now, I'll check the situation in short order.
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett

melkor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2012, 10:12:11 am »

i would like a turn
Quote from: Robocorn
what do postdwarvenists do with goblins?

Quote from: Andreus
We slaughter them by the thousands.
But... you know, we do it ironically.

TheXanatosGambit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2012, 10:15:59 am »

I've dwarfed everyone besides Nemica II - there's no mechanics.

EDIT: Migrants turned up, Nemica II is good at everything, including traps.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 10:43:49 am by TheXanatosGambit »
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett

empfan

• Bay Watcher
  • Dungeon Keeper and part-time Firekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2012, 10:31:50 am »

http://uosu.net.pl/

good soft to take screenshots

Right then, I suppose I'll join in now for the player list then.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 30