Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 30

Author Topic: [Succ. 34.11+] Watchedgleam (necro-, demon- and vampire-con; free elf-delivery!)  (Read 80758 times)

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Succession 34.02+] Watchedgleam (part evil, savage, tower, elven war)
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 05:01:58 pm »

I'm a girl?

Okay then, how about Arceia instead of Archereon.

Oh Jesus, I just realized the civ you guys are using is extinct. That means we get precisely ONE dwarven caravan and two migrant waves.Then nothing. We are going to have to be extremely extremely conservative with dorfs. No throwing away lives. Since the elves are out for our blood, we'll also need to be especially careful with our defenses in the Springtime. I recommend building a drowning hall that drains into a cistern in the nonevil side of the Embark. When your peak useful population will likely consist of about a dozen and a half dorfs, I don't think a hallway of traps is at all cowardly, especially if the biome is capable of producing undead, since we might just end up dying horribly from a zombie apocalypse.

We'll need to get access to magma as soon as possible, both for crematory purposes, and so we don't need to depend on wood for fuel if there's no coal.

And if there's no hematite, we'll have to go searching for adamantine early on, if we get lucky and don't let the clowns out (or if the clown car ends up under the wrong adamantine vein), we might just have a chance of keeping our dorfs alive long enough to repopulate our civilization.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 05:18:32 pm by Archereon »
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Felcis

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes his war leopard, rawr~
    • View Profile
    • RadicalFishGames DevLog
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 06:14:10 pm »

I'm a girl?

Okay then, how about Arceia instead of Archereon.
I will retcon that, since nothing big really happened to you anyway so far.
Oh Jesus, I just realized the civ you guys are using is extinct. That means we get precisely ONE dwarven caravan and two migrant waves.Then nothing.
Yeah, I know, that was kind of the lore of our civ... xD
But actually there still is one small settlement left that I overlooked, even though it's very small. Also, I'm still not sure if that would even mean that we get no migrants and caravans. Merchants are still genned out of thin air AFAIK and migrants might also come from other civs I think. If not, well... that would be quite a cool challenge and we can always start another fort with a different nation on that map ifonce we fail. :D

I already played a bit and it's working out fine so far. I will try to write down the first journal now.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 06:36:03 pm »

^ Oh good. We have a settlement, so the civ isn't completely extinct. Do we have any notable figures?
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
It was inevitable.

Felcis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2012, 11:06:37 am »

Journal of Felcis Komansolon, last remaining guard of "The Tender Ash of Hopping", year 251:
The objective of our mission is nothing less than the survival of our people and preservation of our culture.
For that reason general Griffonlaces appointed me, the only dwarf of the group with any military experience, as the leader of this operation. I was supposed to harden the discipline to this  group of survivors, so that we would be able to flee from our pursuers while he and the few soldiers that he had left distracted those savage elves and lured them on a false track. I never heard from him again, most likely he is dead. All the more reason for us to succeed.
With most likely all of our other settlements destroyed by our arch enemies, we need to build a safe haven for the last remaining members of our society that are still forced to wander the wilds aimlessly. Far of from all elves that might want to crush us and then dine on our corpses. That is why we chose a remote place in the center of a cursed land. I will make sure that we succeed and this journal will document the birth of our new history.

Spring 251:
4th Granite

We finally reached our destination. After months of traveling through these cursed lands we have finally found an adequate place to settle down and regain our strength. Here, between two small lakes and close to a small brook, we should be well supplied with water when baking in the hot sun at least. There also is a lot of healthy grass around us, which is more than I can say for the landscape to the east.

Whatever counts for "vegetation" in those areas will most likely never stop giving me chills, but our hope is that it will frighten our enemies even more.

Definitely not the best place to sleep...I would prefer soft grass or even a hard stone floor over the those wriggly...whatever they are.

While the area itself might look threatening, the native creatures consisted only out of rather harmless animals so far.

Maybe the dark myths that we always heard as children were unfounded after all. We will not take any risks however and continue digging into the soil to be safe of future threats.

12th Granite
Kol be blessed! While I was busy moving our precious food into the makeshift rooms, I heard our head-miner Nemica shout "Hematite!" from below. I instantly went down to take a look.

Truly this is a good sign. As every dwarven child learns, Hematite is one of the common sources of iron. And while iron by itself is not the most extraordinary of metals, in time it will give us means to forge all the tools and weapons that we need. And we all know too well how important good weapons might be...
I ordered to mine out a large room on that area and set up some workshops. It is time that we put our supplies to good use.

27th Granite
We heard interesting news from our mining team again. This time they found a large underground Cavern a few layers beneath our current main hall.

And before I could even give orders to wall it of again, they reported something even more mysterious.

A downward passage? A deep cliff? Unfortunately we don't have the manpower to take a closer look at it right now, but it sounds both interesting and dangerous. We walled of the cave for now and continued with the work on the main area.
I am pleased to say that we are making good progress so far. It seems like these lands welcome us with open arms after all.

5rd Slate:
I might have been too optimistic.
TheXanatosGambit is spreading unsettling tales about something that he saw while cutting trees aboveground. He talks about a mysterious haunting cloud that blew across the landscape, not far from us.

According to him it was red and thick and covered a huge part of the cursed area. Fortunately it didn't spread across the green lands, though, so he wasn't in any direct danger.

I am not sure if I should believe such a weird tale and what to make of it, but to be safe I ordered him to only chop trees close to the entrance. We can't afford to lose any dwarves to recklessness, not with out entire civilization at stake.

29rd Slate
The rest of this month was rather uneventful again. Everything seems to go smootly and we even have a small metal industry set up already, producing some small supplies of tools and a set of iron armor for me to wear. Proper living rooms are still not finished yet, to the annoyance of everyone.
I also observed some fighting among our livestock. It seems like the Yak and the Water Buffalo are not used to being held in such a tight space and pick up quarrels with our dogs and poultry. I will see into that later.

30th Felsite:
The main area are mostly mined out and we can finally think about moving into real rooms ourselves. Our general supplies are also looking fine so far. The only problem is our lack of fuel, since we already used up most of our coal. It seems like we will have to resort to burning wood.
Meanwhile I moved the hungry livestock to the surface, where it can graze as much as it needs. Everything remains peaceful so far, so they should be fine.

And with that the hot has season arrived.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay that's it for the first journal. Nothing dramatic has happened so far, but at least I could build up the most important things without any problems so far. Having iron is always nice. :)

@Archereon: We still got one general who seems wandering the wilds. Just search for "Griffonlaces" and you will find him. Our last kings and queens all got killed in a short frequency I fear.

TheXanatosGambit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2012, 11:46:05 am »

Cool update!

I'll write Xanatos' journal a bit later (it'll just be some background story-type of thing), right now I'm trying to understand the full history off the Gorged Vipers. Apparantly, our first Necromancer King is still alive.

EDIT: Any idea when the elves might show up?
EDIT2: Since I really need to procrastinate from my homework, I decided to write a short summary of the history of the Gorged Vipers. I figure it might be useful, considering the whole history of the fort is about being the last survivors from a century of war. I'll post it in a bit.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 11:55:14 am by TheXanatosGambit »
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2012, 12:06:00 am »

Well, my 0.34.02 fortress just died a spectacular Death (culminating in a mass suicide via atom smasher and flooding of the entire fortress), so I'm pretty much free.
It was inevitable.

Slax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2012, 02:11:37 am »

Gonna have to dust off my mittens for this one. Dwarf me!

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2012, 05:43:16 pm »

Heh, Dorf me as the first axedorf that comes along and make me militia commander(if available; if not militia captian)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Xieg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2012, 06:00:48 pm »

Its been quiet.  Wonder whats going on with the fort.

Nemica

• Bay Watcher
  • Prefers to consume diet coke.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2012, 07:20:54 pm »

From what I heard, the update is nigh.

Also, I don't think I can take my turn. My laptop overheats when I play DF. D:

Well, at least I'd like to postpone my turn.

Felcis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2012, 06:08:38 am »

Summer 251:
23rd Hematite:
The hot season deserves it's title. The lakes around us are already drying up. We might need to drill to the brook to get fresh water nearby, or use those potentially dangerous underground caverns.
But that little annoyance pales before the joy that we felt when when we saw 5 tired migrants appearing on the horizon. It is really a shame that no one did a proper engraving of this event.

Two married couples and another single dwarf managed to reach us through the dunes of tentacles and eyeballs. One of them, named Wynz, quickly talked to me about joining the militia later on. Besides his adequate skills at arms he was also a higly skilled soapmaker, which he claimed will help us "clean the world from evil" or something. The fisherwarf named Spishhaban on the other hand makes up for his lack of useful skills with ambition. He plans to be our future Sheriff. At least he should be able to notice when something is fishy, so I permit it.
Other than those future defenders we were also joined by an amazing cook called Xieg and asomeone with knowledge about fish and, more importantly, booze called Slag. Those two should help Anti-Paragon with the food, so he can finally concentrate on doing the paperwork. The last dwarf was so unremarkable that I even forgot his or her name already, but I guess he/she will do just fine as a miner.

30st Galena:
Both Malachite and Galena were productive, but uneventful, just like the months before. We mined, improved on our homes and stabilized our supplies.
But I think it should be worth mentioning that we got the first birth of new life in our modest shelter.

I see great carreers as watchdogs in those little buggers.

And that was us, braving the hot summer.

Autumn 251:
29th Limestone:
The mining operations of our brave diggers brought us informations on another gigantic cavern that was even deeper underground.

We of course walled it of for now. We will need to find a better way to access it anyway. Just dropping down from the ceiling is not a valid option, all the miners agreed.

19th Sandstone:
8 more migrants made it to the fortress, including two children.

It's a very pleasant surprise that so many of our kind still survived in the wilderness, with all the elves hunting us. Most of their learned professions and skills are of little use to us at the moment, with the exception of a stonecrafter with an almost legendary skill who will turn all those stones in our corridor's into valuable objects of trade and culture. All of them are welcome as helping hands nevertheless.

25th Sandstone:
It was fortunate that the migrants reached us this quickly, since another haunted cloud appeared a mere week afterwards.

This way though it will only make those giant eyeballs cry. I won't complain.

7th Timber:
Somehow Anti-Paragon has replaced me as the new expedition leader.

I'd wager it is because he was in control of all the food and booze for a long time. I doesn't really matter though, since that title remains purely represantive as long as I am in control of the fort through my military position. Rulership can be returned to civilians once we built up an adequate security.

17th Timber:
Praise Kol, a dwarven caravan has arrived!

We definitely didn't expect that there were still real caravans around. That would also mean that there still exist some settlements somewhere. I will have to ask the outpost liason about that later. For now we must concentrate on building a Trade Depot so they can actually unload their goods and move away from those eyeballs.

There were also two small incidents with goblin thieves later.

He managed to sneak into our very fortress but was then spotted by a kitten and chased away. Another thief appeared a few days later with the same results.

While this little infiltration did no lasting harm, it should teach us to be very careful in the future. Goblins may send thieves now, but what will they send in the future? Elves might not even be our biggest problem it seems.

21th Timber:
Another haunted cloud appeared in the east yesterday, with the caravan still standing on the rotten area!

They were very lucky that the cloud appeared and moved in a different pattern this time. It only stayed in the far east and barely moved at all. Still, we definitely must make haste with that damned depot!

29th Timber:
That trading depot has FINALLY been finished a few days ago. The travelers promptly moved into it and unloaded their goods. To my frustration they still expect us to pay for the supplies that might very well decide between the life and death of our entire civilization. Do they have no honor? No sense of duty?
Anyway I send for the stone crafts that our masterful artisan produced and hope that those will please the greedy moneygrubbers.
At least I can't complain about the dedication of their guards. One of them was diligently hunting a few of the more dangerous wild creatures around our area.

He and the other guards were not able to kill any of those flying pests, but they at least managed to hurt and scatter them. Maybe this is even for the best, since I do not want their blood and corpses to nourish those cursed worms.
And on a small sidenote for the end of Autumn: Our lifestock is developing well.

I was also told that some kittens were born earlier this year. I once heard that those can make for a tasty dinner.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Phew...not a lot of exciting events have happened this time either. It's still good that everything runs along so smoothly in the first year, so that we can properly prepare for the 3 forces ambushing/sieging us.
I also checked the legens about the migrants: It seems like DF just pulls new dwarfs out of it's ass when there are no useable historic figures left. That is good for us, since we still get migrants that way, but it's kind of a shame that none of those have any interesting backstories. Well, it shouldn't matter all that much.
Anyway, I'm trying to wrap this year up today with a report about the last season.

@trygar: No Axedwarves and not really a lot of soldiers available so far. I will put you on the list for later.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2012, 07:16:48 am »

Hey, if possible, could you switch my nickname over to a doctor/train my dorf as a doctor?

It was inevitable.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2012, 07:26:38 am »

PTW.  I don't want a turn, but can I be dorfed? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Xieg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2012, 12:08:05 pm »

I really want to know what that mist does.  One of these days a wave of immigrants or a caravan is going to bite it in there.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2012, 12:25:50 pm »

Or my Doctor will turn out to be the crazy kind and do all sorts of !!SCIENCE!! Even if s/he's not actually a doctor.
It was inevitable.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 30