Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 30

Author Topic: [Succ. 34.11+] Watchedgleam (necro-, demon- and vampire-con; free elf-delivery!)  (Read 80754 times)

TheXanatosGambit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Succession 34.02+] Watchedgleam (part evil, savage, tower, elven war)
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2012, 11:13:35 am »

1st Granite, 252, The Era of the Elven War

Nemica and Arceia are dead, and my heart weeps for her. The elves see fit to slaughter our people, and now the mountain has swallowed up my lover and my friend? I weep bitter tears, and it seems our gods died along with our last Queen.

But I cannot let it bring me down; tragedy is the Dwarven way, and I shall find comfort in my work, and our labour of freedom and justice.

So, Felcis, great oversee has withdrawn, accepting the fact that Dwarven Civilisation should not be led by the warriors, but by the craftsmen.

I have been elected, in lack of anyone better I gather, to lead the fortress, the last remaining Councillor of the Craftsmens Guild. These are times of great need, and I'll be working closely with Felcis to ensure the continued survival and success of Watchedgleam.

Felcis is a military Dwarf, and the upper levels are clearly designed to anticipate the inevitable confrontation with the Goblinkind. And the thricecursed Elves. However, I shall be redesigning some of the lower levels to heighten the effenciency, in the tradition of the Craftsguilds.

I have spoken to Anti-Paragon about this, and he himself has put a stamp of approval upon my new designs. Good dwarf, with a firm understanding of the need of solid traditions in this situation. I also pointed out that we had many other concerns to take care of. He smiled sadly and nodded. I furthermore requested he make an accurate record of our stockpiles; no guilddwarf can work with the by-and-large numbers we suffer with now.

When my beloved Nemica feel to her death, she brought along her pick. This will fast become a problem. The fortress will wither with no more digging. I'll have a look at this further on.

2nd Granite

It's becoming clear to me that Felcis is not well. I suspect he is haunted by something, and I cannot tell what. Beside his large wound in the leg, I suppose. Damned that there aren't more of us. There's
work to do, a -lot- of work to do.

I ordered a stockpile for refuse constructed outside - the food levels are flooded with dead vermin.

I ordered to Dwarves, NRDL and Stoutpants, to start digging. They obliged.

12th Granite

Felcis seems better. Which is good, we need both him and Wynz in good figthing condition - this fortress has not seen the worst yet. None of it, I fear.

The Axion conjured forth a couple of iron picks, erasing my worries in this dierection completely.

Spishhaban, the selfproclaimed "Fishy Sheriff" stopped by me today and reminded me he needed an office to exact "Fishy Justice". I waved him away, but I think I'll make him that office. I have no idea what the dwarf would do if he didn't get it. Besides, he's a hardworking honest dwarf, and if he wants to capture criminals, it's off my hands.

13th Granite

My next project will be to create a proper workshop level. The layout of the fort is designed for defence, not industry in my view. Being unable to find anyone workshop not my own, I told Anti-Paragon to tell someone to construct some slabs so we could commemorate our fallen properly. He told me he'd get it done. He also gave me a heavenly accurate count-up of our goods.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We have lots of drink and food. I ordered some excess animals slaughtered none the less, they take up too much space. Everything else seems in order.

15th Granite

Went by the kitchen today - despite my complete lack of understanding for the process, Xiek keeps turning humble ingredients into one masterly meal after the other. I expressed my gratitude and respect. She told me to get on with the work. I agreed.

19th Granite

Survivors! Our civilisation is not so dead as we feared! 18 Dwarves, fleeing the wilderness for a whole year before hearing of Watchedgleam.

They were led by a dwarf named Nemica, strangely. I put them all to work immedietly, I'll have to look any exceptional skills they might have.

27th Granite

The amount of stray stone in the corridors are staggering. Everyone capeable is hauling them away, to the future crafting segment. I will not the old Guilds die!

31st Granite

I drafted two young dwarves into the military. I stopped to admire the sheer quality of our dining room.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 11:15:48 am by TheXanatosGambit »
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett

Xieg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2012, 04:26:52 pm »

Apparently I'm a master chef and a chick.  Nifty.  Did download the file and checked legends, apparently my cooking prowess truly is my only notable achievement.   Wonder if we'll manage to grab anyone with a history.

HARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2012, 04:41:38 pm »

Wynz's Journal:

*The Journal is partly bloody, you see blurred letters*

2?th Obsidian:
We had the first fight, some bastard goblin snuck into our camp, before i struck him down he managed to hurt my hand pretty badly and stab my friend Felcis in leg, it was a deep wound, nasty one, i hope Felcis is better now. Definitely i'm rusty and need more training, but now it's time to rest...

ah and i heard about that terrible accident with magma on lower level, poor miners...

aussieevil

• Bay Watcher
  • It's time you and I had a talk about Fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2012, 06:44:04 pm »

If there's still dorfing room, I'd like to be a mad mechanic.
Henry Freeman no get out of here fast as you can...

TheXanatosGambit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2012, 08:03:39 pm »

Oh, there's lots of Dwarfing Room. Not really any need for mechanics, but lots of Dwarves. You'll be aussieevil, the mad Mechanic/Butcherer!
"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2012, 08:26:23 pm »

Come to think of it, if you ever see a doctor to dorf, train him as a butcher.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Feb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2012, 08:38:20 pm »

I'm in

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2012, 09:52:08 pm »

^ Do you mean you want a turn?

Come to think of it, if you ever see a doctor to dorf, train him as a butcher.
As far as dwarves are concerned, they're practically the same thing! :D
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

TheXanatosGambit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2012, 11:20:51 am »

Wait, who should I make butcher?
- Terry Pratchett

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2012, 02:12:08 pm »

Both of us. Me so I am better able to perform !!SCIENCE
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2012, 03:47:30 pm »

Umm, did you guys see my dorfing request 2 pages back? I asked to be the first axedorf you guys get.
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2012, 05:04:25 pm »

^ Well, the only person who currently knows how to use an axe is XanatosGambit :P
Unless you don't mind starting out as a fluffy recruit, or having the next decent fighter we get dabble in axedorfery.

I think my immigration papers got all screwed up, s'posed to be "Spishaban" with only one 'h'
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Feb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2012, 05:25:49 pm »

Yeah, a turn of course :P  Had to drop the other community game since they are sticking with 34.01 T.T

TheXanatosGambit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2012, 06:16:17 pm »

Umm, did you guys see my dorfing request 2 pages back? I asked to be the first axedorf you guys get.

We don't currently have any undwarfed dwarves with axe-skills. Do you want someone else, or should I wait?
- Terry Pratchett

TheXanatosGambit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2012, 06:51:28 pm »

7th Slate

I have cut 62 beautiful gems. Their wonderous colours remind me why we choose to live under the mountains. What is the sun, held against the brilliant glittering sparkles in the heart of a ruby? What is the moon to a diamond? Artifice and industry shall win against nature, and Watchedgleam is no different. With steel and stone, we shall tame the wilderness. Let the strange winds come, let the elves come, they shall be crushed beneath a steelclad heel.

Incidently, I ordered a Mechanics Workshop built as soon as there was space in the new crafting level.

11th Slate

The halls are almost emptied of stone. My mind finds serinity and clarity in this - everything is so much clearer this way. So far, we have been living on a meatfree diet. I ordered this to stop - a dwarf can only go so long without meat. I'm not sure if Xiek approves. She refused to slaughter the cats I ordered, at any rate.

A former medical dwarf insisted he be given the task however. Claimed he was named Archereon (those dublicates worries me). Felcis still trains like a madman. I don't haven't spoken to him in a while - the clash of steel is heard day and night when he and Wynz spare.

Another Dwarf showed up at my workshop today, claimed he was the better Jeweler. I of course denied this outright. Running this place and cutting the gemstones is no match to me - I master both.

14th of Slate

Wynz gave birth today, which comes as quite the shock to most of us he - she - has never taken her helmet of in public, and Felcis always referred to her as if male. Turns out she married Spishhaban, the Fishy Sheriff. What person their child grows up to be is quite the mystery - I'll expect it with anxiety. A family with this level of fascination with fish and soap is a weird thing indeed.

19th of Slate

The miners are doing well, despite their experience, both Stoutpants and NRDL are toiling without pause in what will soon become the crafting level.

20th of Slate

Visisted the butchers shop today. Archereon takes great pride, and great pleasure, in his work. Good dwarf, blood shouldn't make a proper dwarf uneasy. A true dwarf can withstand even the horrible
details of reality. That said, there was something in his eyes that unnerved me... No matter, I can't judge every single dwarf because they look odd. Were that the case, there'd be something wrong with every single one of us.

21st of Slate

Went down to the gemstones in the deep. Felt solemn and at peace. I miss you Nemica...

24th of Slate

Some of the new dwarved named empfan (odd names people bestow in our civilisation), came by me today and informed me that one of our wardogs had given birth to puppies. Without blinking I told him to tell Archereon to butcher them. It took me twenty minutes to calm him down, and tell him that of course he could train them as wardogs. I couldn't care the slightest, just keep them out of my sight. Dogs. Dogs and cats. What are they against a dwarf? Food. That's what.

28th of Slate

Work continues, the halls are free and the crafting level nearly done. I'll need to make tombs as well. There'll be more deaths before we know it.
- Terry Pratchett
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 30