Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 30

Author Topic: [Succ. 34.11+] Watchedgleam (necro-, demon- and vampire-con; free elf-delivery!)  (Read 80808 times)

Gloopy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: [Succession 34.02+] Watchedgleam (part evil, savage, tower, elven war)
« Reply #240 on: April 12, 2012, 03:26:22 pm »

What if I'm too lazy to install the Lazy Noob Pack?

Xieg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 12, 2012, 03:45:34 pm »

Worry not, my digging is very careful and I will not intentionally breach hell further, and lord knows a years time is not enough to make it safe to do so.

Creating a device meant to breach hell in the event we are totally and utterly doomed is another story though.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 13, 2012, 04:52:33 pm »

the latter won't end up doing much tbh. The clown car only rushes your base when you first breach the circus.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Twangykid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 15, 2012, 04:54:11 am »

I'ma have to opt out of my turn, times busy with school and all.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 15, 2012, 05:16:40 am »

If ever Watchedgleam gets to the state where dwarves aren't able to mount a defense, dig a tunnel to hell, without breaching it, and link that tunnel to one tile away from the outside world.

Then, the instant your dwarves are sealed away, make sure the tunnel to hell is devoid of any entrances to the fort itself, and put two miner dwarves inside to open both tunnels - one to open hell, one to open to the siege/megabeast/etc.

WATCH THE ENSUING MELEE WITH GLEE. Then wonder how you're going to clean it up.

empfan

• Bay Watcher
  • Dungeon Keeper and part-time Firekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 15, 2012, 12:15:40 pm »

If ever Watchedgleam gets to the state where dwarves aren't able to mount a defense, dig a tunnel to hell, without breaching it, and link that tunnel to one tile away from the outside world.

Then, the instant your dwarves are sealed away, make sure the tunnel to hell is devoid of any entrances to the fort itself, and put two miner dwarves inside to open both tunnels - one to open hell, one to open to the siege/megabeast/etc.

WATCH THE ENSUING MELEE WITH GLEE. Then wonder how you're going to clean it up.

If we do that, we have to make another year-long fort, let it fall, and then read the legends mode to see how many daemons we released

Xieg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 17, 2012, 07:20:09 pm »

9th Granite:
This place is a nightmare… And I’ve stared into hell.  In our short history we have had so many leaders that none of them seemed to agree on what direction to go in.  For starters I’ve forced the manager to stop doing things that aren’t related to managing.  I have a lot of work that needs fulfilling and I can’t have him playing with his plumphelmets all day.

Also went out amongst the exiles today.  Preached my message to those that society has forgotten.  I got a bite, and someone I needed too.  An animal trainer.  As of late the moles have been getting feisty.  Sent him to work with my blessings.

In other news, work on the temple is going well.  My chambers are about carved out.  Right beneath the holy site.  I can still feel at peace while letting pilgrims view the wonders beneath.

15th Granite:
I’ve met a an unusual dwarf recently.  While going about my business putting the unclean, unitiated, and unemployed to work, I have found a gem society has forgotten.  A potentially valiant warrior, credited the kill of a forgotten beast, one of those pretenders from the caverns we inhabit.  He insisted immigrations had gotten his name wrong.  Seeing possibility in this one I took the time to bring him down to the office and correct this mistake.  He claims his name is Aseaheru.  I’ve assigned him a position in a watch tower I plan to build on the streams west bank.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

19th Granite:
Theres a thief idling near the tower construction site.  I have sent my new soldier to deal with him.
Denizens be damned I was wrong.  He is incompetent or that thief is possessed.  He was stabbed in the head almost instantly.  I have sent him assistance.
Yes, incompetent.  The Village Idiot saved him with one hammerstrike.  Atleast in the tower he won’t cause much trouble.

10th Slate:
Immigrants.  One poses potential promise.  Goes by the name Twangykid.  A marksdwarf of sorts.  Her immigration history seems suspect, but the denizens assure me there is no reason to be alarmed.  Have assigned her to the same squad as Aseaheru in the Lone Tower.

A trader has also arrived and has decided the edge of our holdings is the best place to relax.  If that’s his wish that so be it.

On another note, working on the power structure for the planned magma pumps.  Loading up the bank with waterwheels.  Slowly building up the pumps from the lowest level up.

Quick update.  Almost through spring and mostly uneventful.  Couple of dorfings.  Larger post to come I am sure, now that I have plotted the things I wanted to do and finished re-assigning the useless dorfs to useful labor, I should plow through the next few seasons.

And yes, this fort is a mess.  Good news is I have the unemployment down to 8 on an almost regular basis.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 18, 2012, 11:53:47 am »

A letter to the overseer from Spishaban "Pagedmists" Morulsod
It's been several months since mysterious death of brewer and axedwarf Urvad "Murderedcity" (ha ha) Usanineth, and I believe I may have finally solved the case. Through autopsy I have discovered that the fatal headwound matches perfectly the shape of a metallic spear of elven origin, of which we have only one in our possession. I've confiscated the murder weapon, confirmed the unmistakable presence of dwarfblood, and narrowed the list of suspects down to the three dwarves who have commissioned the use of the weapon in the past: speardwarves Likot "Lancewets" Kubbukathil (the most recent owner), Catten "Polishedlancer" Delethkivish, and resident vampire Gigmaster (who has never officially been enlisted). I'm leaving it up to you, Xieg, to decide which of these three will rot in the dungeons. Justice will be served!

Edit: I've noticed that Gigmaster has nothing on his personal list of kills, but is listed as having a kill with the spear anyway. I'd say that smacks of suspicious...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 04:57:14 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Xieg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 18, 2012, 07:06:30 pm »

20th Slate:

A dwarf was blessed with inspiration today, and has been excused from carving the temple to fufuill his destiny.  And in other news, an unwanted guest is in the caves.  The pretender is but a mockery of the denizens divine forms.  I will not stand it’s defiling of our land.

The inspired has claimed a jeweler’s shop, the defiler is wandering in the cave.  And my scouts have told me he has come dangerously close to the upward passage and is working his way to the exiles and the entrance we have on the level…….. I think we may have to fight him directly.  I will marshall the troops.

23rd Slate:
The soldiers have been savaging the beast for 3 days.  At somepoint someone scored a good hit on the things head and sent teeth everywhere.  I have since sent the other squads in to join the fray.  The live training will do them all good.

In other good news, another adamantine pillar has been discovered.

And the inspired has begun work.

And the beast is now dead.

And the traders have multiplied at the border… Odd place for a vacation.

27th Slate:

The inspired has finished his creation. Praise the denizens!  Installed the artifact in the hospital to make the wounded feel cared for.

13th Felsite:
Vacationing traders have proven useful. They detected a three squad goblin ambush.  Pulled the workers indoors, I cannot afford to lose any manpower to these savages.

17th Felsite:
While watching the ambushers probe our walls to find a way in, I noticed something odd in the forsaken side of our holdings.  A number of goblin skeletons and limbs sprang to life and began assaulting the goblins.  And then I saw him, a dwarf amongst the dead.  I can’t tell if he is our savior or also here to destroy us.
And that doesn’t matter, he didn’t last very long.  Oh wait, he still has some life in him it seems.  I think I see the dwarf shuffling along with the rest of the dead.
There is a one eared elf amongst the goblins as well.  Previous assessments of their collusion seem to be true.  This cannot stand, but I’m afraid out settlement is unable to do anything about this affront to our people.   Maybe the denizens can help us…

20th Feslite:
Are you shitting me?  A weremoose?

And the dead walk in great numbers.  I think his presence is bringing them back to life.  And they are swarming him.  The damned have risen to our defense a second time. 
Praise the denizens!  They have slain the beast.  Now the beast has risen to join their ranks.  And now they turn on us… I must cleanse the surface.  If things go wrong this could be my last entry for a while.

And I will sentence Gigmaster accordingly once this current crisis is averted.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 18, 2012, 10:26:58 pm »

Am I still alive?
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 19, 2012, 12:36:04 pm »

Why not line the fortifications with marksdwarves? And if you decide to lock Gigmaster up, make sure you lock the door to his cell (or build him a special air-locked cell in the lower dungeon) so nobody can let him out :D
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Gigmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 19, 2012, 01:23:33 pm »

:'( What did I do? Surely you didn't need that legendary lye maker...

Xieg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 19, 2012, 09:47:48 pm »

So yeah, a quick update.  Yes, Archeron you are still alive.  There have been some deaths, will get to that momentarily.  Also, I seem to have had a vampirism outbreak.  They are multiplying apparently.  At the moment the world is a bloodbath too...  Summer and fall update pending.

Xieg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 20, 2012, 12:23:12 am »

27th Felsite:
I have ordered the charge just as the undead start worrying at the door.  We could have brought them down from the ramparts, but someone had left something in the door, propping it open.  The undead were drawn to it like a moth to flame. 

The soldiers are making quick work of the undead.  But I did witness a harrowing site.  One of the warriors was apparently a mother and carried her baby into battle.  I just watched it get torn apart by the ravenous undead.  And some of the dead walk the halls, from where I don’t know.  Dogs are making work of a wren man skeleton as I record this.

3rd Hematite:
It was a hard battle, but the 40 or so undead have been laid to rest.  At a heavy cost though.  We lost some valiant warriors.  Felcis, Roboboy, Spishaban, and Ashearu all fell in battle trying to keep the zombie horde outside of the fort.  The Village Idiot and 8 others have also fallen.  It is also with great regret that I received Spishaban’s note after his death.  For you see, I released Gigmaster from his watery prison in an attempt to stem the undead tide.  And with our military in poor sorts at this time, I cannot bring myself to punish him.  We need every dwarf we can get, even ones that may be vampires.  To that point, I have recruited all the Exiles into the military.

18th Malachite:

… Weremoose…. Going to send our two known vampires and our one suspected vampire out to take care of it.  Monsters should deal with monsters.  Besides, if we don’t take care of him he’s going to ruin our waterwheels.

Currently he’s lying face down in the river.  Hand it to the vampires they are efficient.

21st Malachite:
New beast, has come, rifling through the western caverns.  Seems to not have noticed us for now.

24th Malachite:
Crap… He found an entrance from the caves to the fortress.  One dead dwarf and another being mauled.  Sending troops to deal with it.  And that was quick, it is now dead by gem vault.

3rd Galena:
A stonecrafter has gone morbid.  The recent series of disasters seems to affected him in a special way.  Lets see what happens.

10th Galena
A donkey bone door, fresh off the donkey.  I mean that, he just dragged the donkey there not a day ago and came out with a door.

15th Galena:
After a few deaths I have locked up all the vampires. Gig, Twangy, and Zargodia will be locked in prison for the rest of their days.  XanatosGambit will be missed, he was the latest victim.

16th Galena:
There has been a vampire outbreak.  I should know, recently I have been craving blood…  There are others like me.  Slowpokez is currently locked in his room off the hospital for the safety of the general public.  A cook I have been working with in close proximity has shown signs as well.  Having him assigned to a prison cell.  A few children have also shown signs.  I think I may need to lock myself in my chambers for the safety of the fortress.

And look at the timing, the dead walk again and are descending upon us.  And at the same time they are descending on the elves who were apparently laying wait in ambush.  For all their annoyance, the dead have been very useful in outing ambushes.  Good lord that’s a lot of elves.  12 squads, all beset by the walking dead.  Gives me time to seal ourselves in.

There is a one armed wrestler outside the walls…. I have no idea how he got there.  He is strangling elves with his one arm…

4th Limestone:
The dead roam outside again.  Thankfully my power project on the surface is complete and this time the door is sealed tight.   They can have the surface for now.  So many elves have joined their ranks since the failed siege.  Their pets too have risen.

Nemica has been missing for a week now.  Last sightings had her sprinting out of the fort before the dead and elves and dead elves arrived.  One can only assume she perished outside.  I think I have successfully quarantined all the vampires.  I myself haven’t eaten or drank in almost a month and I feel fine, well other than the nagging hunger I feel when I hear others outside my door.  My daughter has joined me in my chambers, having also been afflicted.  I cannot allow this infection to spread farther if I can help it.

On the bright side, the one armed wrestler has returned to us.  Gave him the custom title One Armed Dervish.  Despite losing an arm in combat, he seems pretty chipper.

1st Sandstone:
Another beast in the caves.

And migrants have arrived in the midst of the horde of undead on the surface.  If any make it to the front gate I will let them in, but I imagine they will all die out there.

Beast found a way in.  I’m pretty sure this one can fly.  Sending the troops in again.

Beast wasn’t killed, but horribly maimed and thrown off the prison bridge.  Currently festering in the cavern pool below.

12th Timber

Most unexpected, a caravan approaches.  Why, if they plow through the zombies I may do some trading.

18th Timber:
They made it, and took out most of the undead in the wastes.  Traded for all their food and drink, need to shore up our supplies.  World is getting worse for our kind, and who knows when the next caravan will come.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 20, 2012, 12:56:23 am »

........have you checked to see if vampire blood has contaminated the well? if so.....well, lets just say we're gonna be a hermit fort now....
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 30