Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 30

Author Topic: [Succ. 34.11+] Watchedgleam (necro-, demon- and vampire-con; free elf-delivery!)  (Read 80824 times)

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
  • B12's Department Head of Arts & Recreation
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
Re: [Succession 34.02+] Watchedgleam (part evil, savage, tower, elven war)
« Reply #195 on: March 26, 2012, 03:43:25 am »

Gotcha.

I'm encountering a very, very strange problem here; one that might screw up my turn (and perhaps the whole fortress). I can freely send soldiers up to the surface, and migrants can path to the meeting hall... but all the dwarves are completely refusing to do anything work-related above a certain elevation, constantly canceling stockpile jobs. So I can't build my prison, I can't get them to build the wall on the outside, can't get them to smelt in the upper forge, can't get them to cut down trees, I can't even get them to go to an above-ground meeting zone. I've tried tunneling up with ramps to see if that works but they just stop after reaching -5, and it also seems that I can't do anything involving the cavern. I checked a raw save of the fortress from 34.05, but the problem is the same. I'm thinking it might have something to do with the demons, as there are several similar job cancellation messages dating from before the start of my turn.

Here's an example of the weirdness I'm talking about:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Those designations are still there because the miners are avoiding them ???
Ever heard of burrows? :P
Also there are'nt supposed to be spikes in the chamber...
Drop the migrant-he breake his legs-fix the legs-drop him again-and repeat.

Felcis

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes his war leopard, rawr~
    • View Profile
    • RadicalFishGames DevLog
« Reply #196 on: March 26, 2012, 09:03:53 am »

As slowpokez said, check out the burrows and the civilian alerts. The highest civilian alert was activated at the end of Nemica's turn, which means that no one except for soldiers will go to the higher areas of the fortress, let alone the surface. Just change the alert to "Default" oder "Inactive" when no danger is around and expand the "Mining"-burrow if you want to mine out larger areas.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 28, 2012, 12:43:58 pm »

So it's a doctor training station, eh? Great idea, I'll be sure to put it to good use.

My laptop is finally back in my possession (in retrospect, I probably shouldn't have accepted a turn with no means of playing), so I should finally be able to pick up the pace on these updates. Still a bit busy though. Hope I haven't been too boring up to this point :P

From the Journal of Spishaban "Pagedmists" Morulsod, Sheriff and Premier Fish Expert of Watchedgleam
Granite 1, 253
It is early in the spring of 253, and a time of great sorrow is upon us. Countless warriors have fallen, our unprepared military decimated by a surprise attack from the goblins of Amxu Slospo.

The entryway reopened, Felcis returns solemnly to us bathed head to toe in the blood of friend and foe alike, clutching the head of a goblin thief. He dares not speak of what went on, only that he was the sole survivor of battle that claimed countless dwarven lives, including those of my very own wife and son. I grieve for them, but I cannot dwell on these feelings for long. Nemica, obviously bearing the weight of the lives lost under her reign, has chosen to step down, leaving no one but me brave enough to seize control and take her place. Thus I, a humble sheriff and fisherman, am left the overseer of a shattered society. Howls from the very pits of hell echo throughout the halls. The citizens live in constant fear, afraid to come out of their burrows and embrace the sun. We've got a long road ahead of us.

2nd Slate, 253
Reconstruction has been going smoothly, and lately the citizens have even started coming up to the surface once again. These old wounds may heal just yet. Now finally we can begin with the fortification of our defenses.

4th Slate, 253
Chief Mecical Dwarf Slowpokez came to my office and told me of an elaborate dream he had the night before. Or rather, a nightmare... one in which he was the one in charge of our fair settlement. (Gadzooks, can you imagine what that creep would do if he ran this place?) But that wasn't even the most unsettling part. He spoke of a legion of the walking dead that descended upon Watchedgleam, flooding into the halls of our fortress, gruesomely converting every last one of us to their dark army. Normally I would dismiss such a tale as pure fantasy, but what with the rumors of the not-quite-dead that have infected the countryside as of late...

It is all very ominous. And it brings to mind a great weakness in the defenses of Watchgleamed, one I sure as hell won't be taking any chances with. I have ordered all able-bodied citizens to assist in the construction of the fortified wall around our vicinity, in the hope that it would see us through, should such a grim scenario ever come to pass.

In the meantime, our military requires new blood. Felcis Spreadflag the Calamitous Tactics (as the people have taken to calling him lately), commander of the newly christened Granite Immortals, is all that remains of our once proud armed forces (The Last Guard, so to speak). I've sent him out to seek young recruits, the best and the brightest Watchedgleam has to offer. Hopefully we can restore our forces to a somewhat respectable state.

6th Slate, 253

Our makeshift barracks; it's not much, but it'll get us by. Felcis gathers his batch of promising recruits, and meets up with me there.
This is it? THIS is all we can muster... at a time like this? The goblins must've hit us harder than I thought...

Nonetheless, there are few notable among the lot.

2nd Felsite, 253
A caravan of greenhorn soldiers has arrived in our midst, led by none other than the enigmatic Roboboy! News of our recent plight had reached the mountainhome, and they had been sent to assist us.
Arguably more a machine than a dwarf. And he even brought his medical comedy routine! A welcome sight indeed, our military ranks are bolstered by their arrival.

9th Felsite, 253

Now what could this hooligan be up to...

14th Felsite, 253

Slowpokez finishes placing the final brick in the city walls... and not a moment too soon...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 11:10:35 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Zargodia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 28, 2012, 01:18:18 pm »

My Dwarf has a personality very similer too mine! :D the only major difference is i doo quite enjoy intelectual disscusions

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
  • B12's Department Head of Arts & Recreation
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
« Reply #199 on: March 28, 2012, 03:04:28 pm »

6th Slate, 253

This is it? THIS is all we can muster... at a time like this? The goblins must've hit us harder than I thought...

Don't know why but this part made me lol :P

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 28, 2012, 09:19:38 pm »

heh, nice, I'm a pretty good marksdorf leading my own squad. And with the siege on, this could get interesting...
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Zargodia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 28, 2012, 11:18:37 pm »

I just realized that im probably going to die in this siege. :(

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 29, 2012, 08:03:51 pm »

From the Journal of Spishaban "Pagedmists" Morulsod, Sheriff and Premier Fish Expert of Watchedgleam
1st Hematite, 253

Undead goblins... rotting, stinking elves as far as the eye can see. Slowpokez' vision was indeed prophetic.

The cheeky bastards even had the audacity to set up camp just outside the reach of our marksmen.

2nd Hematite, 253
Stukos completes his artifact.
That's really all there is the say on the matter.

10th Hematite, 253
Sometime ago I established a set of magma smelters on the mantle, and we've been rapidly pumping out iron, steel, lead, and silver since. Now it's time to put the stuff to use. First things first, we need equipment; it's bad enough we have no crossbows and ammunition whatsoever, but most of our new recruits are presently completely unarmed.

18th Hematite, 253
To reward Slowpokez and Archereon for their invaluable services to the fortress (and because we're absolutely going to need a new hospital for the coming battle), I've agreed to their commission of miners and engravers for the making of a new hospital. Pokez was very secretive about the details of the project though... kinda suspicious.

30th Hematite, 253
We continue to pelt the zombies with bolts from atop the safety of our walls.

These cheap wooden bolts are surprisingly effective, clearly our legendary woodcrafter has imbued them with magic... or somethin' like that. Oddly enough, this seems to be working; we've managed to drastically thin the zombie ranks, even getting some archery practice out of it. Unfortunately, they still outnumber our forces 4 to 1. So melee confrontation would be suicide at this point.

Tryrar certainly lives up to his title.

1st Malachite, 253
With all the excitement going on lately, we've forgotten to honor those of us who perished in the great battle. Coffins, that's what we need. And nobody knows coffins like...

May they rest in peace.

10th Galena, 253
Who's this douchebag?

Oh... it seems we are now an official colony... somehow. That means I've been promoted to Captain of the Guard and am allowed my own squad of officers! But I'll deal with those responsibilities later, we have bigger fish to fry.

20th Galena, 253
Slow month, nothing to note. Biding our time, suiting up the recruits, preparing for battle.

1st Limestone, 253
It's been three months and the undead are still upon us, their ranks growing by the day in spite of our marksmanship. We are doomed to be trapped here with them forever, unless we do something about it very soon.

Some have already given up hope. But I haven't... I have a plan.

21st Limestone
We will funnel the zombies into this hallway with what few traps we can muster, while our marksmen rain re-death from walls above. We should be able to control their numbers using the lever controlled bridge, so as to prevent them from overwhelming us. Let's hope nothing goes wrong.

Now to dig out the entrance and...

Oh yes!

Hell yes!
The fighting can wait, I gotta see this.

-------------
Would've put more effort into these updates, but I'm kinda in a hurry here, need a break. I've already done with the battle (and the entirety of autumn).
Might also need just a little extra time. I'm two months away from finishing the year in the save, so I'll see if I can't finish it and post up the save next update.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 08:08:03 am by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Felcis

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes his war leopard, rawr~
    • View Profile
    • RadicalFishGames DevLog
« Reply #203 on: March 30, 2012, 04:47:25 am »

Free archery practice, yay! I might be problematic if you can't kill that Necromancer, though, since he will always reanimate those corpses till he dies and the siege prevents caravans from arriving.
I'm also surprised to see that we already have someone stricken by melanchony. Did he lose a few cats to tragedy? oO

Great updates so far. I'm looking forward to that awesome failure. :D

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 31, 2012, 05:46:14 am »

Have yourselves a lovely year:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6048

That's the funny part, I was expecting them to get back up, but they didn't. They just stayed dead while the necros continued to sit on their asses :P (I think Toady nerfed them or somethin')
Nonetheless, I'm very glad I was interrupted by the weapon mood, as you're about to find out.
I can't be bothered to put any real effort into this update right now. Might improve the post later.
-------------

From the Journal of Spishaban "Pagedmists" Morulsod, Guard Captain and Premier Fish Expert of Watchedgleam
Sandstone 10, 253
The weaponsmith presents us with a most fascinating specimen of dwarfy armaments.
Truly bizarre; this elaborately designed pickax seems to be built more towards the purpose of being an instrument of death than a tool of the earth. A weapon of this caliber is only fit to be wielded in the hands of a miner of legendary skill and finesse.

...now where was I?

Sandstone 14, 253
Oh right, the undead problem. Well... our marksmen have reported from above with a very interesting development...

And the plot thickens...

The elves and goblins... in cahoots!? I should've known...

Nonetheless, I don't think they knew what they were going to find here...
The attack squads have been toppled out of formation, and have their hands full with the zombie horde. The undead forces are decimated, and their cowardly masters have fled the scene (a pity, I was hoping to give them a full tour of our new dungeon). With both sides in total disarray, we are presented the perfect opportunity to strike and crush our foes once and for all. So we do.

Sandstone 30, 253
A few battle highlights: (I coulda sworn I took more pictures than this)
The siege is no more. But there are still a handful of zombies roaming around; I've sent out Felcis, Roboboy, and Zargodia to hunt them down.

Limestone 10, 253
The last of the zombies have been exterminated, and all this trouble is now forever in the past.

Me? Think I'm gonna take it easy for the rest of the year. Just sit back and watch things fall into place.

Limestone 22, 253

Uhh, Empfan... I'm pretty sure that's not how animal training works, not even close!

15th Opal, 253
With all this fighting out of the way, and most of the citizens on masonry duty, we've had plenty of time to renovate the fortress. The wall, in particular, has been expanded and drastically improved. With an extra layer of stone, fortifications, two watchtowers, and a secure gatehouse. It's gonna be a tough nut to crack, that's for sure. Additionally, we've begun building upwards in the center, hopefully reaching an 11-story observatory tower by the end of the year.

20th Opal, 253
Another mood, another artifact.

16th Obsidian, 253
The end of the year and the end of my reign fast approacheth. Should be smooth sailing from...

What!?

Get outta here.

NO! I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THIS!

20th Obsidian, 253
Screw it, I'm done with all this overseerin' business! The militia can deal with this problem themselves. I need a freaking break...

1st Granite, 253
In honor of my retirement, I figure it's as good a time as any to unveil what I've been working on this whole time.

Behold, the new city dungeons! A sheriff's friend; a holding place for criminals, goblins, beasties, and any other scum 'a the earth you can think of. Complete with three level execution pit of spinny, grindy death. We have only three live goblin prisoners at the moment, but ideally, every cell should be completely filled with them by the end of it. And it can even double as a quaint hotel!
Allow me to show and explain to you in gratuitous detail how our Execution Chumber works! You pit the criminal up top, pull the lever, aaaand...

That leg got some serious distance there. Hey, if you're gonna execute someone, best do it spectacularly right? Clearly five steel serrated discs isn't enough!
(also, you don't really even have to open the bars to pit people through them)

Best of luck to the next in line. I'm hanging up my crossbow and forming my own squad of spear-wielding crime fighters, The Diamond Holds!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 06:08:39 am by Spish »

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 31, 2012, 02:12:34 pm »

so, how many kills did i eventually end up with after the siege ended?  :)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 31, 2012, 06:43:30 pm »

A lot. You're well on your way to earning a title at this rate.

I forgot to assign my new speardorf/guard squad to the training room. Would be nice if the next overseer could handle that for me.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 31, 2012, 11:04:39 pm »

where is the training room?
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: April 01, 2012, 01:37:52 am »

I'd like to sign up for a turn. Should be !!FUN!! by my turn because I've not used an evil biome in 0.34.X YET.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 01, 2012, 12:58:10 pm »

^ We have a really weak evil biome. Nothing but weird mist that makes people barf.

Not even horrific zombie thralls coming to eat our brains unless a necromancer brings them.

Here's a brief preview of what's going on:

It involves dropping migrants into the caverns and about 70 iron corkscrews.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 01:21:41 pm by Archereon »
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 30