Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Constant parties AUUUGH  (Read 2021 times)

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Constant parties AUUUGH
« on: November 07, 2007, 12:33:00 pm »

I don't know what it is about this particular fortress. I've never even SEEN a party before, with all the same structures in place, yet now my dwarves almost always have a party going.

This wouldn't be so much of a problem - the party doesn't occupy THAT many, and I usually still have idle dwarves - except that the specific dwarves who decide to spend the entire season or more(it seems) at the party are dwarves I very much want doing something else. Like, digging out new lodgings, making beds, or meeting with the outpost liaison.

Someone suggested drafting and dismissing the party organizer, but this didn't seem to have any effect, even if I did so while only that person was marked "Attend Party" - that person would briefly be a soldier, and I'd let it run for a little but before releasing them, but they would still have "Attend Party" as their task when they became a civvie again.

Is there any way to at least control the parties? From time to time isn't bad, but this is getting nuts.

Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Mover#005

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Constant parties AUUUGH
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 12:40:00 pm »

My economy did nearly collapse through the permanent string of parties. My tip is: remove the Meeting Hall flag from your communal dining room and designate a meeting area: voila, no more parties.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 01:04:00 pm »

I usually let my dwarves party, unless I really need them, then I undesignate the party rooms until they get their work done. Lazy dwarves!

I wish the sheriff could go beat the lazy dwarves and make them go back to work!

Fenrir

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 01:17:00 pm »

Put pressure plates on the floors, liked to a bridge above the room, so they get knocked unconsious with a ton of rock. That'll teach 'em!

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 02:57:00 pm »

If you designate your meeting hall to be 1 square only, the dwarves will gather at it and not throw parties.

That way I can still have my statue garden without constant parties  :)

Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Griz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 05:12:00 pm »

I turned off the meeting halls because I was sick of the constant parties - 1/3 to 1/2 of the entire non-military population would be partying at any given time, with most of the non-partying dwarves either sleeping, eating, or drinking. it was impossible to get anything done.

Dreamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 05:19:00 pm »

Whenever a dwarf starts a party, I let them go for a while before I simply remove the table or statue that the party room is based on.  An idle dwarf will run over and deconstruct it (If that makes sense), and the partygoers will finally go back to work.

Too bad they don't get many happy thoughts from going to parties for longer periods of time.  That would balance things out, to an extent.

▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲▲/
◄Nothing Beats Menacing►
/▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼▼\

LSTAR

• Bay Watcher
  • Has Sprung From Ambush!
    • View Profile
    • Second Hand News
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 05:32:00 pm »

[The fortress's economy is in ruin after strings of parties break out all across its depths]
S: "Okay, break it up fella's! Break it up! You've had yer fun, now it's time to be gettin' back te' work!"

P: "Yeah!? What you gonna do about it?"

S: "I didn't want ter' do this ye' know... ye' made me..."
*Raises War Hammer above his head*

P: "Oh Armok, no! Please!"

*Smashes table*
[a semblance of normality returns]

"Slaves to Ciko Suppermuffin: Goddess of Food."

The man, the blog, the manblog.

Griz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 07:00:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Dreamer:
<STRONG>Whenever a dwarf starts a party, I let them go for a while before I simply remove the table or statue that the party room is based on.  An idle dwarf will run over and deconstruct it (If that makes sense), and the partygoers will finally go back to work.</STRONG>

you don't have to physically remove the item, you can just q over it and undefine the room.

mcnmac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 11:16:00 pm »

Will the lazy partying dwarves have unhappy thoughts when a meeting hall is removed?