Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: I think I just found Dwarf "Moria"  (Read 13288 times)

Heroictomb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I think I just found Dwarf "Moria"
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2012, 10:35:20 pm »

What do you mean, Dwarf Moria? What was the original?

The orc/goblin filled one from LOTR.

In this case, it has a direct link to the clown car in place of a balrog and cave creaters in place of orcs.

Silly human. Orcs stole Moria from the Dwarves. :-P

And none of that posession is 9/10ths of law business.

Sorry to be a a stick in the mud about it, technically, Moria is the elven name for the cave system (from Sindarin mor="black" and iâ="void, abyss, pit"). Kazad-Dum was the name of the Dwarven settlement there.
Means Dwarf dwelling/delve doesn't it?

Dwarrowdelf is the name you are looking for. http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/d/dwarrowdelf.html

Abraxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2012, 11:29:53 pm »

Unfortunately, I couldn't get this to work. The worldgen params that you gave ended up making a completely different world for me, and the embark spot didn't exist. I also tried downloading the save and dwarf fortress doesn't even put it in the list of worlds. Using the newest version (0.34.02).

I've been looking for an interesting embark spot for a while with magma and adamantine near the surface but it's starting to look like the only spots with those features are the result of a bug and end up with a ton of cave collapses and fps death. It's a shame cause I think that would be a fun map to play on.
in all honesty it looks like OP's worldgen bugged out.  I had my doubts anyone would be able to recreate it with his parameters, as they would likely gen it properly.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2012, 11:48:03 pm »

Unfortunately, I couldn't get this to work. The worldgen params that you gave ended up making a completely different world for me, and the embark spot didn't exist. I also tried downloading the save and dwarf fortress doesn't even put it in the list of worlds. Using the newest version (0.34.02).

I've been looking for an interesting embark spot for a while with magma and adamantine near the surface but it's starting to look like the only spots with those features are the result of a bug and end up with a ton of cave collapses and fps death. It's a shame cause I think that would be a fun map to play on.
in all honesty it looks like OP's worldgen bugged out.  I had my doubts anyone would be able to recreate it with his parameters, as they would likely gen it properly.

I'm not so sure. If the version information is accurate, it was generated in 0.31.03, which was a whole lot of bug fixes ago. It might work fine with that, or another older version.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2012, 08:56:08 pm »

I'm not so sure. If the version information is accurate, it was generated in 0.31.03, which was a whole lot of bug fixes ago. It might work fine with that, or another older version.

This is correct, the world was initially genned shortly after the last big release.
It is well known to be bugged as the reason why the magma sea is draining into hell is the whole landmass in that area simply do not load up.

You could get it working on an older version, or, oddly, on a Mac version.  Don't know why but I tested it on my own, I downloaded the most recent version of DF, put in the region on my MAC computer, and it played just fine.

I really am curious to see others explore this.  In the time since I originally posted I have expanded the fort a great deal.  Adamite flows with the abundance of microcline, I have all of my craftdwarfs working non stop to make waffers and so far I have barely used up one pillar worth of material.

Also recently discovered a massive bloom of Marble on the map, so Flux stone galore.
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2012, 12:26:06 pm »

Summary of recent events...

The Dwarves knew the caves were bigger... Bigger then any before in recorded istory.  They seemed endless in size, yet Dwarves are never happy till all is explored and under Dwarf Law.

The Law of the Dwarf after all was what they minned, they owened, and that applied no matter how far down they went.  But how far was too far? Dwarves knew that going down was dangerous.  They all knew the tales of not "delving too deep"  Of not going beyond the fabled Magma Sea that was said to warm the world.

Yet here, in the deepest cave system ever encountered, there seemed no limit to how far down they could go... 

At a distance nearly 3 times that of where the Great Sea was across the rest of the world, water still flowed and Tower Caps could still be found.

The outside world was but an after thought, the freezing winds of year round winter was forgotton as deep below the Dwarves labored away. They had discovered the great Blue 'living metal" and had become consumed with it's riches.  The most powerful forts in the world could dig only a small fraction before they had to stop, less they 'Delve Too Deep"  But here...  Here the Great Living Metal seemed to go on forever. Lured by riches beyond comprehension, they dug down and down, heedless of the ancient warnings.

Over time however, the world seemed to turn on them.  The great Magma Pipes they used for smelting began to drain away...  Month by month they had to dig new foundries to follow the lowering magma pipe.  It seemed as if the Earth itself, angery at the plundering of it's wealth, was trying to deny to them it's hot blood. But Dwarves do not let such things stand in their way...

Capturing great amounts of Magma in a vast cistern, they went on, forging a wealth of 'Living Metal" such as the rest of the Dwarf World could not have ever imagined.  The small fort became forgotton in time.  Less then Fifty called it home, it's location on the freezen southren mountain kept all invaders away. The fort expanded, the people grew drunk from it's riches, and the magma kept sinking...

Year after year passed, the Sea fell more.  Rather the question such an event, The Dwarves dug ever deeper, carving out into the vast cavities now left uncovered from burning rock.  The depths they dug became as unfathomable as the riches that bloated them...

And then, then at last they saw it. Saw where the Magma Sea was going...

Nearly 200 "levels' bellow the mountain, they saw a vast whirlpool of burning rock.  As if someone pulled the drain upon the world.  They saw the burning rock pouring down into an abyss, an abyss of darkness such they had never seen before.

They looked into the Abyss, bloated, fat, covered in riches of living metal, and they heard the screams begin...

Hell has been breached...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 12:30:20 pm by Crossroads Inc. »

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2012, 12:53:31 pm »

^ +50 internets for you. Dang 200 z-levels, that's like 2000 feet! :o Can the d- the clowns reach you?

"The dwarves delved too greedily and too deep. You know what they awoke in the darkness of Khazad-dûm..." :P
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 12:59:15 pm by Awessum Possum »
because everyone here is OCD and ADHD, and then complain when their dwarfs act similarly in game.
@I used to be an axelord like you, until I took a (+bronze bolt+) to the upper leg, chipping the bone through the *copper leggings*!@

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2012, 02:45:32 pm »

when i get home I shall write the next chapter. The short of it is quite a few dwarves are doomed, the ones too greedy and obssesed with digging deep.

A sort of holy war follows were the surving dwarves say it is judgement for being so greedy, there are some bezerking but I dont want to spoil too much.

But yeah almost 200 z-levels. Download the map on the front and you can see how F*cked up this map really is

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2012, 04:29:27 pm »

This is bigger than any cave system I've found, but I seem to remember that back when caverns were first added, people found a few that were 60-80 z levels high.  Am I just misremembering, or do those not happen anymore?
Pages: 1 2 [3]