Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Recommend a mod with a playable above ground race.  (Read 596 times)

varsens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Recommend a mod with a playable above ground race.
« on: February 19, 2012, 02:47:26 am »

Important inclusions:

1. Graphical unit distinction between basic job categories. I.E. if a weaponsmith and armorer aren't differentiated that's fine but I'd like to be able to tell the difference between a lumberjack and a farmer.

2. Viability of above ground trapless forts. I'd like to actually use my military. The necessity of walls is a given for large sieges, but ideally I'd like to able to survive early ambushes with only a starter military.

3. Relatively fleshed out and working nobles.

4. Compatibility with dwarf therapist.

5. New features/items/creatures a plus as long as they're balanced. Overpowered alchemy/irownworks/castes are fine if they are necessary for the viability of an above ground trapless fort.

6. Mods for the previous major version of dwarf fortress are, of course, welcome.

Is there anything out there that matches what I'm looking for?

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 02:50:09 am by varsens »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend a mod with a playable above ground race.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 04:25:40 am »

SHILL SHILL SHILL

I guess I could go back to the above-ground only paradigm, but for now, my trolls are a mining race.

However, with the metals system, where the metals are sheared from sheep and processed, you can easily start a military above-ground. Also, there are geese that lay "build grist" that, with a building called the "alchemiter", can be made into blocks to make walls.

The new features are all in one race, the Sburb players, but after I'm done with making Cell for the DBZ mod I'm going to fix it up so that that civ isn't around anymore, replacing it all with secrets.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 04:28:12 am by Putnam »

varsens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend a mod with a playable above ground race.
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 04:52:40 am »

Shill me baby! I'll check your mod out, thanks for mentioning it.

I should mention though that I didn't mean to disqualify mining, only that I want all buildings above ground, and a race where that is thematically acceptable.

Edit: Metals sheared from sheep is a cool idea.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 04:59:31 am by varsens »