Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problem Installing Lazy Newb Pack Using Wine.  (Read 6630 times)

Giant_Squid

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Problem Installing Lazy Newb Pack Using Wine.
« on: February 18, 2012, 11:51:43 pm »

I did a few forum and google searches and couldn't come up with anything that really helped much. I followed the tutorial here: http://www.davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/ which showed me how to install Wine then install and run programs through Wine using the Mac Terminal.

Everything was going fine until I told it to install "Lazy Newb Pack.exe". The one that comes with the download. It seemed to work until the last line in the Terminal which says "wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\Lazy.exe" Which i'm not sure what to do now since there is no .exe named "lazy" and I haven't renamed anything.

Any ideas what I could be doing wrong? Theres another program I heard about called Darwine which seems to be more focused for Mac (unlike Wine) but I don't know if its any better.

If it matters I'm running a Macbook Pro with Leopard (10.5).

Giant_Squid

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Problem Installing Lazy Newb Pack Using Wine.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 11:53:18 pm »

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 12:11:11 am »

Darwine is, to my understanding, an old version of Wine for the older version of Mac OS (>10.4?). I think it's obsolete. You should indeed use Wine from MacPorts, as stated in that tutorial-- which version are you using? (check with "wine --version")

If you installed using "port install wine", you might consider removing the 'stable' Wine, version 1.2.3, (with "port uninstall wine") and switching it out with the Wine development version, 1.4-rc3, (with "port install wine-devel") which has better support/performance overall in my experience. It's one of the few programs of which I always keep the latest development version.

Did you type "wine Lazy Newb Pack.exe"? On UNIX-like systems (most notably Mac and GNU+Linux), the spaces will be parsed, and thus Wine will cut off at "wine Lazy" because "Newb" and "Pack" are interpreted as separate parameters, which shouldn't happen. You need to type either...

this; putting the executable file's name in quotes so that the spaces are treated as part of the filename instead of the end of the command:
Code: [Select]
wine "Lazy Newb Pack.exe"or this; escaping the spaces so that they're treated as the regular 'space' character rather than as a special character (using backslash-space, "\ " instead of space " ")
wine Lazy\ Newb\ Pack.exeIt may be as simple as the above, but I'd recommend using Wine-devel anyway.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 12:13:15 am by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Giant_Squid

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 03:31:03 pm »

I did type "wine Lazy Newb Pack.exe" with the spaces, no quotes. I didn't even think about the spaces causing the terminal to misinterpret what I was doing. That explains why it was looking for Lazy.exe.

The version I have is 1.2.3. Although after typing "port uninstall Wine" I'm not sure if it worked. The first line that showed up after pressing enter was this
couldn't open "/opt/local/var/macports/registry/.registry.lock": permission denied Followed by a bunch of other lines of text ending with: 
# If there are remaining arguments, process those as a command
    set exit_status [process_cmd $remaining..."
    (file "/opt/local/bin/port" line 4707)
Would I need to type sudo port uninstall wine? If you can't tell I have very very little experience with Unix and don't really know fully what I'm doing.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 03:42:49 pm by Giant_Squid »

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 04:32:04 pm »

Yeah, you need sudo in this case. Same for any macports install/uninstall command, because it manipulates several files in a root-access-only directory.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."

Giant_Squid

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 12:25:56 am »

I've installed Wine-Devel (after uninstalling Wine 1.2.3). That went okay but now when I try to do
wine LazyNewbPack.exe to install the .exe I get "command not found". I even tried wine-devel and wine_devel to see if that would work, which obviously it didn't.

FFXBHU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 03:18:42 pm »

But why go through the trouble of emulating slowing your own game down if it's possible to just download a mac version?

If it's the tileset, enjoy this, it uses Mayday: http://www.mediafire.com/?p4vmr6vvs7f0bzt

1. Download zip file in link
2. Extract
3. ???
4. Profit

If it's for DFmanager and the like, can't help you.

helf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 04:14:34 pm »

But why go through the trouble of emulating slowing your own game down if it's possible to just download a mac version?

Just an FYI: wine doesn't emulate anything. It's more of an API wrapper than anything else. Hence its recursive name - Wine Is Not an Emulator.

*edit - fixed typo
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 04:16:05 pm by helf »
YOUR GAMES GLITCH: Hey, I got out of the map boundry!
OUR GAMES GLITCH: Hey, a horrid monstrosity just migrated to my fortress! Let's recruit it!

FFXBHU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 05:37:18 pm »

Just an FYI: wine doesn't emulate anything. It's more of an API wrapper than anything else. Hence its recursive name - Wine Is Not an Emulator.

*edit - fixed typo

o_O

Are you implying that in fact, despite of being a mac user, I can use Dwarf Therapist without slowing everything too much down?

I thank you kind sir

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 06:45:48 pm »

I'm on a mac and I use the Windows version because Windows DF is a little faster under Wine than the native mac version.

Plus, yeah, the utilities are nice (though I don't really use them that often—I've figured out DF enough that's more of a pain to learn use the new Dwarf Therapist UI than just to use the old, normal, DF UI).

Giant_Squid

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 05:37:26 pm »

If it's the tileset, enjoy this, it uses Mayday: http://www.mediafire.com/?p4vmr6vvs7f0bzt
Well I didn't know about this, but this is only half the battle. I was hoping to use the Therapist, besides it would be nice to be able to use Wine for other programs as well.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 07:00:44 pm »

That's very weird that wine-devel is doing that... have you tried to uninstall&reinstall? Somewhat obvious, but I suppose it's worth a try. My macports wine 1.4rc3 works fine, so I think it's a client error and not the program doing something strange.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 03:47:01 pm »

I'm totally new to this, as well. I just downloaded wine using MacPort. All seems well. I then downloaded Phoebus's latest version. I have tried getting to the right directory, but when I run anything (wine "Dwarf Fortress" or wine df_phoebus_init_updater.bat) I get this: '/Users/nightwhips' is not owned by you, refusing to create a configuration directory there. I am at a loss. Can anyone advise? Or point me to the appropriate thread or info site? Tried googling that phrase and didn't get much that was immediately helpful. Thanks!

EDIT: I just used WineBottler and it's working, after a few stabs. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=101189.msg3025468#msg3025468 helped. However, I can't get it to run the .bat files, which are the save game updater and such. So, I have the graphics tileset but none of the config options? Well, at least I can run Therapist now.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 04:37:29 pm by nightwhips »
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 10:52:59 am »

You need to open a wine command prompt (it's like the Windows CMD) and execute bash scripts there, I think...