Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Did they really need to buff range this way?  (Read 10338 times)

Dr.Propz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Did they really need to buff range this way?
« on: February 18, 2012, 11:49:08 pm »

I don't know about you, but I think a better way to buff ranged was to allow us to aim our shots, such as in the head or arm, instead of having them make you fall in pain if it so much as taps you on the second toe, left foot

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
Re: Did they really need to buff range this way?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 12:06:40 am »

i like it, it means that after i kill an archer i can take his stuff and practice.. ths way by the time i get a legendary swordsman, i also have a legendary archer in crossbow and regular bow.
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 12:16:01 am »

Is your willpower/endurance low? Also, I don't know about you, but have you ever broken a toe, even a finger? Hurts >:3

Also archer is the skill which determines what damage you do, ranged attacks in DF already travel INSTANTLY which makes them pretty OP.
>Unless it's not throwing.

Isher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 12:33:45 am »

How exactly did it get changed?

I'm not questioning if it got changed, it sure seems like it to me, but I'm wondering what the exact change was. I popped up a hatch 3 different times and got severely shot by the same one goblin archer through some half-decent armor.

I just don't think chipped bones have been changed, they've always been debilitating esp. depending on your toughness (or whichever), it seems that what has changed is the accuracy. Fighting another goblin who seemed to have high skills as he took me and the guy with me a few times (was savewhoring) and i finally just stood back and threw hammers and axes at him and it was like a constant bullseye.

Dr.Propz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 12:34:38 am »

Willpower affects if you fall over in pain? I thought it was one of those useless skills like linguistic ability

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 12:37:41 am »

Willpower affects if you fall over in pain? I thought it was one of those useless skills like linguistic ability

YOU REMOVED YOUR WILLPOWER? D:

Well that explains why your adventurer is dropping in pain, it's giving up at the slightest bone jarring agony.

Dr.Propz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 12:46:44 am »

But... I thought that's what endurance was for
On a side note, linguistic ability IS useless right?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 12:50:53 am »

Endurance and Willpower come hand in hand, just having one fails. Linguistic ability is still useless though :P

Dr.Propz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 12:56:39 am »

Alright, thanks for the help.
I was a little confused why I kept getting knocked unconscious, but we really do need to be able to aim. Kinda want to be Robin Hood for some reason

Teach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 02:20:00 am »

Bandits can have skillz now.  Before they were noobs, but now you can get ambushed by Masters.  I once got ambushed by 2 spearmasters and an Elite Crossbowman with Masterwork weapon (In addition to lesser skilled bandits).

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 03:44:55 am »

There are a lot of reports that the problem is with willpower/toughness--namely that even when they are high, minor injuries still cause instant unconsciousness, arrow wounds included.

On the other hand, ranged penetration power seems to have been increased: my last adventure had lots of well-, finely-, or superiorly -crafted bronze and iron armor. Even when she was unconscious, an elite swordsdwarf with a masterfully-crafted scimitar (albeit a silver one) couldn't penetrate her bronze helm, iron cap, and bronze cap. Conversely, a single bronze arrow with no quality fired from a no-quality crossbow by a random bandit went straight through all three and killed her instantly.

I'm not sure about accuracy.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 03:53:41 am »

Is your willpower/endurance low? Also, I don't know about you, but have you ever broken a toe, even a finger? Hurts >:3
Willpower doesn't matter if you break a bone. You're going to pass out several times before that extreme pain goes away, willpower just delays it slighty.
And I imagine having your leg slowly hacked off with a serrated bronze axe would hurt a hell of a lot more than getting your finger smashed. Not according to DF, however.

I really hate the pain system; you could be beating around an armless elf wrestler, he stomps on your foot, then your legendary axedwarf suddenly forgets how to hit things, and the elf (now apparently an amazing fighter) proceeds to kick the rest of your bones out :P
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 04:27:26 am by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Teach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 03:58:27 am »

There are a lot of reports that the problem is with willpower/toughness--namely that even when they are high, minor injuries still cause instant unconsciousness, arrow wounds included.

On the other hand, ranged penetration power seems to have been increased: my last adventure had lots of well-, finely-, or superiorly -crafted bronze and iron armor. Even when she was unconscious, an elite swordsdwarf with a masterfully-crafted scimitar (albeit a silver one) couldn't penetrate her bronze helm, iron cap, and bronze cap. Conversely, a single bronze arrow with no quality fired from a no-quality crossbow by a random bandit went straight through all three and killed her instantly.

I'm not sure about accuracy.

That's because silver is garbage for edged weapons

Isher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 04:11:08 am »

I just hope it gets fixed/changed because it's killing the game's playability.

With no ranged throwing skill I'm devastatingly accurate and weapons that would normally do small damage are turned into magic bullets.

Just had a copper bolt chip my upper arm bone and then also my shoulder bone at the same time. The next round my companion got two chipped bones (right upper leg, hip) too. Has this normally happened in the past?

Also, people who reportedly dodge away from things get their hands crushed (might just be "avoids blow to head, takes on hand instead", dunno).
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 04:15:59 am by Isher »

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2012, 05:09:34 am »

I think the buff to ranged was much needed. Have you seen how many moves a melee person gets for just one arrow you fire? One ranged attack was equivalent to about 5 melee attacks. If they're even remotely close to you and you miss, you may as well start thinking of how you want to build your next adventurer.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4