Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reclaiming  (Read 1692 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Reclaiming
« on: December 15, 2007, 05:55:00 pm »

My fortress has had no trade or immigration since I upgraded from 33b a while ago, and I'm running out of dwarves.  I haven't finished my majestic pyramid, and it's going to be a while before I do.  I don't think I'm going to make it with this group, but I think if I try to reclaim there will be an absurd amount of monsters here.

If I come here in adventure mode and wipe out the monsters, will they all be gone when I reclaim?  Do the monsters get spawned upon abandonment, or upon reclaim, or both?

Bullion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reclaiming
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 06:07:00 pm »

i think it's abandonment, but they'll come back if you try to reclaim after clearing the place out.
Bullion cancels witty informative post: Interrupted by Logic

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 06:10:00 pm »

So I'm actually going to have to try to fight off all these creatures with a reclaim party?  That's going to be insane...  Has adjuststart been updated for the new version?  I'm going to need all the help I can get here.

Also, what determines how many monsters you get, and how strong they are?  90% of my constructions are above ground, though there is a significant amount of area underground mined out for the stone.  I only have 27 dwarves (half of which are tantruming over rotted clothes), and I don't think the fortress value is particularly high, since all I've been doing is making food and building.

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 06:26:00 pm »

I reclaimed my fort just today (miss click when quitting) and have found no new monsters other then 3 imps and a fire man in the magma vent. They were all fully visible when I started and 5 months in are yet to be attacked. However all of the previous dwarves are still there and, contrary to popular belief, are not starving to death. Also they seem to stop using bins properly. I have stockpiles with 20+ items piled into one square and no bin.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 06:27:00 pm »

This fort has been running for nine years.  It has 222,800 monies of created wealth.  Do those things factor in to monster creation?

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 06:30:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sappho:
<STRONG>This fort has been running for nine years.  It has 222,800 monies of created wealth.  Do those things factor in to monster creation?</STRONG>

The area's features determine, meaning if you had a chasm that was accessible from your fortress, you would have chasm monsters populating your fortress.

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Bullion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 06:32:00 pm »

i think that is one of the factors, that and the potential for creating monsters (Chasms, Magma, Pits, Etc) i abandoned a fort the other day and went back, and the place was swarming with chasm monsters, and batmen were falling into the chasm (go figure).
Bullion cancels witty informative post: Interrupted by Logic

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 06:34:00 pm »

I have no chasm, no water, no magma.  Nothing but sand and rock.  I do have 13,000 blocks invested in this pyramid, though - do constructed walls and floors decay when you abandon?  I think I might cry if my pyramid starts to crumble...

So maybe I'll be safe reclaiming after all?

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2007, 07:15:00 pm »

refreshed

[ December 15, 2007: Message edited by: Torak ]

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.