Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problems with butchering and eating wild animals  (Read 4148 times)

DoomBoom

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Problems with butchering and eating wild animals
« on: February 18, 2012, 07:11:22 pm »

Hello.

I'm playing Dwarf Fortress right now, but I have a problem.
My adventurer is hungry, and I'm almost out of food.
Luckily, there are animals around me that I can hunt.

But the problem is, I can kill them, but I can't figure out how to butcher and eat them.
I tried to use the "x" menu to butcher, and the option "butcher" is there, but I don't have any sub-options there, and pressing enter on it does nothing.
I tried [e]ating them directly, but then my adventurer just licks them.
I tried heating them up over a camp fire, but though they heat up, it doesn't help my adventuring in his butchering quest.

The animal in question is a weasel, though I tried it before with drakes and rabbits and I couldn't figure out how to butcher them, either.

Am I missing something terribly obvious here, or is something wrong?

roflgar

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Lethargy
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with butchering and eating wild animals
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 07:13:46 pm »

some animals don't seem to butcher properly, as far as I can tell.

just to be sure, hold a bladed weapon in one hand and the animal in the other.

but yeah, this is why I carry berries with me.
NatureLabor:  largest concentration of elf-loving dwarves and a few dwarfs trying to beat that out of them.
-TerrisH

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 07:17:23 pm »

I was capable of butchering lions with a spear, but it seemed that I couldn't butcher anything else I picked up on savage savannas.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 07:21:14 pm »

(r)emove them from your inventory so they're held in your hand, or drop them and butcher them when you're standing on them.

DoomBoom

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 07:23:23 pm »

I put the weasel in my left hand and my two-handed sword in the right, but it didn't help.
I also tried it with the weasel on the ground. No luck either.

If butchering doesn't work with these animals, then I hope that gets fixed somehow.

terkiey

• Bay Watcher
  • chicken what i need
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 07:24:30 pm »

If the animal is too small, it can't be butchered, you must be stood over it's corpse while the corpse is on the floor, and have a bladed weapon in your inventory somewhere or in your hand. You can't butcher an animal in your inventory or in your hand, to my knowledge.

Some houses in towns/villages will have more than one room and them rooms will be furnished, if so, look for a bag and steal some of their berries, they won't mind. But make sure they are edible :P.
You can tell if something is edible, by trying to eat it, if you lick it, it is not edible. Good examples of edible foods in people's houses are fisher berries, they are plentiful and the most common for me.

Spoiler: Bag's Contents (click to show/hide)

Hope I helped.
Quote from: Meistermoxx
Quote from: Knigel
Does anything bad happen if you accuse someone of being a night creature and they aren't?
Yes, they call you a rasict, and then they shot you and take your cocaine.
[(√[1]/∞)+3!+|Chicken|] / [100^(1/2)]

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 07:24:52 pm »

Some animals are just too small to butcher

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 07:26:03 pm »

Kind of related, but is it impossible to knap rocks for anyone else? I pick up two blunt rocks and it says I don't have the required items.

DoomBoom

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 07:29:23 pm »

If the animal is too small, it can't be butchered, you must be stood over it's corpse while the corpse is on the floor, and have a bladed weapon in your inventory somewhere or in your hand. You can't butcher an animal in your inventory or in your hand, to my knowledge.

Some houses in towns/villages will have more than one room and them rooms will be furnished, if so, look for a bag and steal some of their berries, they won't mind. But make sure they are edible :P.
You can tell if something is edible, by trying to eat it, if you lick it, it is not edible. Good examples of edible foods in people's houses are fisher berries, they are plentiful and the most common for me.

Thanks for the info. I'll get to the nearest hamlet and steal some berries.

Too bad that I'm not able to eat weasels and other small animals, though.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 07:32:24 pm »

Kind of related, but is it impossible to knap rocks for anyone else? I pick up two blunt rocks and it says I don't have the required items.

Ahhh. Foolish grasshoppa. I was having the same problem, but removing both rocks from my backpack (so that they went into my hands) allowed me to knap the shit out of some rocks.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.