Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Artifact Statue  (Read 1729 times)

Nikinyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Artifact Statue
« on: December 15, 2007, 02:43:00 pm »

Years ago my carpenter made an artifact (Maple statue). Then he died in jail. His artifact was placed at one of my stockpiles and it still lies there because I can't place it anywhere. It is just not on a list. Can anybody tell me why is that?
Dwarf Fortress - The universe where Elves look like Elephants.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Artifact Statue
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 02:54:00 pm »

It's a bug, artifacts can't be used for anything right now even if the creator dies.

not on the known bugs list, strangely enough, even though it's been reported before.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Nikinyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 03:11:00 pm »

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind... Though, as far as I know, dwarves can use their own artifacts. At least my weaponsmiths use their artifact weapons.
Dwarf Fortress - The universe where Elves look like Elephants.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2007, 08:40:00 pm »

My mason was using his artifact floodgate for some time, back in the old 2D version.  I assigned him to the fort's one and only "Elite Floodgate Squad", and sent him out to fling some deer into the river.

He got pretty good at it, too.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 09:09:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 11:07:22 pm by penguinofhonor »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 12:55:00 am »

Yeah, he was using it as a weapon.  Apparently, if a dwarf is assigned no weapons, and happens to be carrying around some item, he'll fight with that item instead of his fists.

The huge thing wasn't very accurate, and was pretty slow to swing, but when it did connect, it caused massive fractures and often a very impressive flight on victim airlines.

I had another peasant turned legendary mason who made a chest, which he apparently thought was a dimension to a demonic realm.  The first time he used that thing in combat, he literally blew up the kobold thief in front of him.  There were about six chunks on the tile where he used to be, with limbs scattered all around in various directions.

Took me a while to find all of them, and I think one of them ended up in the river.  It left me with another one of those "Phantom bodies", where the official "corpse" was a piece which did not exist, as all others were accounted for.

EDIT: Typo

[ December 16, 2007: Message edited by: Kagus ]

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 03:16:00 am »

that's awesome.  What skill does it use?  Wrestling or maybe hammer?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 04:45:00 am »

Wrestling.  Any non-weapon item that you use to smack something with uses wrestling skill, so they get pretty good at dodging attacks on the side.

I used to have a video of my floodgate/giant flyswatter mason destroying some deer, but I think it got lost when I updated.