Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modding worlds  (Read 661 times)

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary elf skin tanner
    • View Profile
Modding worlds
« on: February 18, 2012, 02:01:47 pm »

Hello!

I just wanted to ask is it possible someway to build a dwarven forts with shops, leave it, then visit it in adventurer mode? Because the current comp generated towns are really boring.

Also I ould like to make missions, special (hand made) places, and but everything there manually. Like treasures, or creatures that guard the treasures, with custom skill and attributes. Or just simply labyrinths, where you have to find the correct way and avoid various traps. Or adventure mode arenas, where you fight a random monster or dude, with random skill and attributes. And if you win, you will have the reward based on the difficulty of said foe.

I also want to make custom missions, like if you bring some special items to a smith, he will forge a stronger armor or weapon for you. But you would have to complete several sub-missions to get there.

After a world is finished, I would post it here for others to play.

Are these possible with modding?
Szuvas Fogbank the Skinny Innocent Inn-Dinner of Spinning

The spinning ☼dwarf leather earring☼ strikes the Spirit of Fire in the lower body!
The lower body flies off in an arc!

A new crazy succession game! Are you up to the challange? http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=114041.0

Alexwarhammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Modding worlds
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 02:41:47 pm »

They all are possible with modding , although the later requests seem a bit complicated for the user , but I would definatly like to see a mod where I can visit my ongoing fortresses without having them looted and empty , although something that does worry me is the lack of user cooperation with the fort means that if you save the fort , play adventure mode for a while without going to the fort , and then go to the fort , it will likely be in ruins because it needs the user overseer to stop it falling into chaos , and because you cannot control it while playing adventure mode , you would have to go there fast.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 02:47:36 pm »

dfhack has "dflair" added, which is supposed to stop items being scattered between abandon and reclaim...that should mean you can find the items still there for the taking as an adventurer. Works by tagging the site as a monster's lair, which stops scattering.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 02:52:40 pm »

They all are possible with modding , although the later requests seem a bit complicated for the user , but I would definatly like to see a mod where I can visit my ongoing fortresses without having them looted and empty , although something that does worry me is the lack of user cooperation with the fort means that if you save the fort , play adventure mode for a while without going to the fort , and then go to the fort , it will likely be in ruins because it needs the user overseer to stop it falling into chaos , and because you cannot control it while playing adventure mode , you would have to go there fast.

there is/was such a tool....  i think it was DFhack.  lets you switch from adventure to fortress mode and back in midgame.

the Ops requests are not very moddable, BUT they are mostly do-able, provided you have the patience to make a lot of embarks, build a lot of sites, and abandon.

the "arena" thing is not do-able.  you cannot force a spawn, nor can you set a place for a random item to appear. 

or... you might.  with custom reactions you might be able to make a "force spawner", but i wouldent really know how to go about doing so.

shops are also a no-go.  no way to designate an area as a shop, an entity as a shopkeep, or items as merchandise.

custom quests are not possible, to the best of my knowledge.

but making a labyrinth is perfectly possible, and something many do.  you prolly have to change something in a raw to allow fortress mode traps to work on an adventurer (is disabled because it is possible to get caught in a cage trap, and there is no way out of them)
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

towerdude

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary elf skin tanner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 04:20:03 pm »

Thanks all the answers, I would only design traps that kill you, so in this way a cage trap is perfect too (starving). You can't get out of a magma trap either. Imagine a legendary adventurer with 500 kills, dying in a cage trap :D

By the way I don not want to return to a fortress for a while playing as an adventurer, but to make a place what is abandoned, but sustains itself as time goes on, like the ai placed villages.

So you said it is not possible to place shops. But what if I activate dwarven economy, place shops, and use dfhack?

I wanted to do this, after seeing how useless were the dwarven mountain homes. A pain to even find a quest giver. Yet all they give is slaying some high ranking titan, who bashes you into a pörkölt. So I wa sthinking that different missions. Herbalist wants you to collect some kind of plants, fisher wants you to get a unique fish found only in a floded cave (swimming required).

So if it is not possible to make unique missions, is it possibble to edit the existing ones?
Szuvas Fogbank the Skinny Innocent Inn-Dinner of Spinning

The spinning ☼dwarf leather earring☼ strikes the Spirit of Fire in the lower body!
The lower body flies off in an arc!

A new crazy succession game! Are you up to the challange? http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=114041.0