Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Smoothing vs. Building walls?  (Read 1213 times)

Nekojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Smoothing vs. Building walls?
« on: November 06, 2007, 11:02:00 pm »

With regard to room value, is there any difference between a wall that's been Smoothed and a wall that was Built?

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Smoothing vs. Building walls?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 11:41:00 am »

I don't know for sure, but if I were to guess that if you built a wall out of stone that was more valuable than the stone that is currently in the room then it may be worth more.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 12:14:00 pm »

or if you built it out of platinum blocks or something...

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 12:51:00 pm »

That's not a quality of the construction, though, only the material. If there's a platinum vein that you dig out/into, the smoothed floors and walls(never mind engraved!) will send the room's value through the roof. A 3x3 office with some platinum in its walls and floor will become an opulent throne room with little effort on your part.

Can anyone with economy try this? Compare a room's rent with a smoothed wall, then dig out one tile, look again, build a wall of the same material, and try one more time?

Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 01:34:00 pm »

My Mayor has three rooms, in two of the west wall is built instead of smoothed. To get the quality to Decent I had to put a lot more effort with higher quality furniture than I had to for my other noble who just had smoothed and engraved rooms.
Although, the walls were made of stone blocks, but if you made them out of metal I suppose that'd make them worth more than engravings.
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.