Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Mode Transformation Experiments  (Read 708 times)

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
Dwarf Mode Transformation Experiments
« on: February 18, 2012, 12:15:45 pm »

So I used a syndrome to transform dwarves into humans for a bit of science.

Firstly, it's important to note they become "Tame" when they change. (I don't know about when they change back) However they definitely get the right Intelligent tags and such, as they still have skills, can still gain conversation skills, can still make friends. They will do no work, however, nor will they claim a bedroom. They will mostly act like animals.

The next things to try are:

Can I get a standard unit, not "Tame".
Can these transformed ones breed, and will they produce "normal" offspring.
What happens if these are in the military/are a noble/wierd things like that.

I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Mode Transformation Experiments
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 12:26:54 pm »

Watch out for eating and drinking habits. In previous versions, tame Tigermen could only drink from pools, not wells or alcohol.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 12:46:37 pm »

Try adding your "sentient" race as a caste with pop_ratio 0 to your dwarves. this way they only transform castes, not creature, and should keep their equipment, should NOT have the "tame" tag and can perform labors.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Master Catfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 04:11:41 pm »

I actually did a bit of testing about this yesterday.  It was for a mod I'm hoping to make: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=101433.0

I first tried transforming dogs into Dwarves.  It was successful, but a bit strange.  They could work real jobs (I tested masonry and animal training), but had no name, and could not gain skills.  If they had been assigned to someone previously, they would default to following them when they had No Job.  Could not assign them noble positions.  Finally, if they were in a pasture when transformed, they would remain in the pasture and also show up in the animal screen and were butcherable. 

Second, I tried transforming dogs who had the [INTELLIGENT] tag.  They began the game with names, and gained social skills from standing around.  Once transformed, they behaved as before, but with the ability to learn.  When they changed, their names remained the same, and their descriptions were more coherent.  Unfortunately, sometimes they would switch gender mid-description.  Still wasn't possible to assign them positions of nobility.  I believe the [PET] tag may be responsible for this.

Anyway, I'd love to know if anyone else is doing testing on this.  If there's any way you can get rid of (tame), I bet nobility would work.

EDIT: Just did a little more testing with castes... It seems that even with the [PET] tag, a caste of dwarves can be put in a position of nobility.  [PET] is definitely responsible for (tame) though.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 05:22:33 pm by Master Catfish »