Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.02 Released  (Read 72309 times)

Squidpalace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.02 Released
« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2012, 04:51:13 am »

Maybe if you have 10 dwarves, but with 150 your tearing your hair out, and not in a good way. They are way, way too common, and at the very least we should be able to say how often they appear, or even to remove them altogether.

As said above, I was under the impression that there was a world gen option to control vampire numbers, along with the populations of other nasties. Also the methods I alluded to in my first post (and that were not so subtly alluded to in the thread you created to help with finding vampires) are working in a fort of 90 with multiple bloodsuckers. I know 90 isn't 150, but it should be enough to thoroughly explore vampires.

BuGGaTon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fake Dorfly Mentor
    • View Profile
    • BoredGamer
« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2012, 06:49:14 am »

why the hell did my 2 miners jump down a waterfall?

Hahaha, I don't know but this made me chuckle immensely!  XD
Have any gameplay questions?  Try asking me during a live stream for a quick and helpful, yet derogatory reply!  Bloody elves.

http://www.twitch.tv/boredgameruk

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2012, 06:56:53 am »

Maybe they thought they should path through it because of the new ramps and the current pushed them over? Is there a shallow  ford near the waterfall ? I seem to recall someone else having a problem with this recently.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2012, 07:58:41 am »

Maybe they thought they should path through it because of the new ramps and the current pushed them over? Is there a shallow  ford near the waterfall ? I seem to recall someone else having a problem with this recently.

Yes, someone on the .01 thread said they found their miner dead at the bottom of a waterfall far from where the miner had any business being.

Once is suspicious, twice is a bug. Or a surprise feature.
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2012, 09:42:12 am »

Toady is tearin' it up on the tracker.  Lots of fixes this morning, including one really interesting one, 0005231: Drinking blood as vampire causes permanent speed loss:
Quote from: Toady One
This is a weird one -- all attribute increases for races that have growing muscles cause the body to actually get large muscles, including zombies and vampires. That was something I was writing off as a to-handle-later thing (it still is), since it would need to distinguish supernatural and natural strength, etc. But attribute change syndromes weren't causing it to evaluate body size, so it was only when your teeth grew out that it saw that your muscles were giant too. The permanent speed loss is from its new permanent recognition that you have giant heavy muscles (the muscle weight speed loss is usually counteracted by the strength, but you were already getting the positive benefit before your teeth grew, so it was more like you became heavier without becoming stronger).

Anyway, vampires and zombies will still look and be sized like body builders, but at least it'll respect that more thoroughly now.

"changed which civilized critters will move to which trade partner sites in world gen"'

What does this mean? ._.

Probably related to goblin merchants in human towns, etc.

Bug report.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 11:04:57 am by Footkerchief »

guebstrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2012, 04:04:11 pm »

Any word on fixing vampires?...
(The way they are now makes FUN no longer fun, but thats just IMHO.)

Why does everyone want to destroy the vamps? My current fort is ridiculously fun with its longtime vamp mayor. I'm planning to create a squad of vamps for the ultimate undead/special ops defense force! They don't sleep or eat, so they should be able to train all year.

Plus vamp kills don't really cause or contribute to the whole death/berserk cascade unless you have already failed to defend your fort.
He is the former holy fungus of The Fellowship of Hell

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2012, 04:43:57 pm »

Great by the way are giant sponges supposed to get enraged and pull dwarfs into the river?
Notwithstanding Toady's reply and other comments...

It's Dwarf Fortress.  Sure they are!

To get to the Other Side?

(On Topic: And to think I was about to copy my .34.01 fort off of the portable hard drive onto this computer, just now, to continue that fort...  Well, maybe later.  Or maybe not.  But time to get .02 downloaded.)

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2012, 08:13:25 pm »

the dwarfs keep trying to path across it and get pushed off it and die... also happened to my other dwarfs in a evil area.

treczoks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2012, 04:13:24 am »

Giant sponges are a Lovecraftian horror.
And I always thought they lived in a pineapple shaped house in a location called "Bikini Bottom" ;-)
I fall into a strange mood. I withdraw from society. I claim a computer. I draw pictures of bedrooms. I draw pictures of farming levels. I draw pictures of defenses. I draw pictures of pipes and pumps. I start playing Dwarf Fortress!

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2012, 04:33:11 am »

Giant sponges are a Lovecraftian horror.
And I always thought they lived in a pineapple shaped house in a location called "Bikini Bottom" ;-)
That too.
Some eps of SpongeBobSquarePants are straight-up nightmare fuel...
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2012, 10:19:57 am »

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5393

Military dwarves not properly following kill and/or move orders properly. I've noticed something similar happening in previous versions, but in this version it's ridiculous. I uploaded a sample save.

It's infuriating... I'm trying to kill this one necromancer, but the dwarves are just getting close and then ceaselessly dithering. I'm sure everyone's noticed this bug (although I can't understand where the specific problem may lie, if there even is a specific problem), but as usual I couldn't find any similar bug reports upon which to attach my example save.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2012, 11:35:01 am »

I see the fixes coming along nicely (looks like we won't be able to find vampires by them refusing to change their nicknames anymore!)...

I'm just really really really hoping to see "fixed Dungeon Master" show up in these bug fixes though. >< I really want to play with a functioning Dungeon Master. *sigh*

guebstrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2012, 12:36:01 pm »

"vampires won't try to pin crimes on animals"

Chuckle, chuckle, they always blame the ducks.
He is the former holy fungus of The Fellowship of Hell

Maninblack144

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 22, 2012, 01:59:52 pm »

Been having a happiness "issue" in the new version. Whenever new migrants arrive, it takes no more than a few moments for them to gather hilariously high happiness, up to and beyond 3000 in Therapist. A value of 200 already counts as ecstatic, so this hardly seems intentional. Most of their thoughts show "Has made a friend recently. Has talked to a friend recently.", after which a list of all negative thoughts appears.

Screenshot of Therapist:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2012, 02:49:56 pm »

I think it's something to do with the fact that they're drawn from historical figures, and are often related, married, or have children. Dwarves get happy thoughts from talking to family members.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9