Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Author Topic: Husk Science: The eternal siege of Voidbreach  (Read 56522 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Husk Science: The eternal siege of Voidbreach
« Reply #105 on: February 24, 2012, 09:59:01 am »

If Toady implements it, we can kill elves with it.
Sig'd

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 24, 2012, 12:59:37 pm »

Hey, GirlInHat - I think I have a save for you.  I played it a bit and confirmed there is thrall-generating soot in the region, but I also have the initial post-embark save.  It's a completely flat region - sparse trees, there's an aquifer, but you can get around it, just avoid the sand, and otherwise good.

I'd be more than happy to hand to you Fortress Lancehour for your !!Science!!
My proud turn in Failcannon | Uzolnom - "Oiledgod"

Quote from: Mego
I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

Enki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 24, 2012, 02:27:05 pm »

Some ideas how I can deal with husks in my fortress? Never thought the dust might reach my dwarves through a small opening 7 z-levels above a small part of my fortress and now my carpenter, farmer and cook turned into husks (as well as one cat but the cat owner already put it out of its misery). Two of the husks are sealed off (never thought forbidden doors might stop them, maybe because they are dwarven husks they still abide dwarven rules).

Edit: Now all three husks are in closed rooms and no longer a danger (for now). A group of harpies spawning killed two of the arriving migrants (first wave). One was a child and the other its father fishery worker, so not much of a loss right there even though I could use every pair of hands right now.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 02:34:42 pm by Enki »

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 24, 2012, 02:52:01 pm »

(never thought forbidden doors might stop them, maybe because they are dwarven husks they still abide dwarven rules).
Actually even invaders obey forbidden doors, so I think "forbidden" really means physically locked. The fact that only goblin and kobold master thieves (who presumably can pick locks) can pass through them, supports this view.

Rask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 24, 2012, 02:54:37 pm »

So, merchants arrived and ran straight into an evil cloud. I appear to be quite lucky in that it doesn't create husks. Instead, it causes this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Enki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 24, 2012, 02:57:16 pm »

Nevermind, this fortress is just going nuts. First a child threw a tantrum, had a fist fight with my expedition leader and finally calmed down again. Next thing my migrant farmer threw a tantrum but immediately calmed down. Then an elk husk jumped down (!!!) 8 z-levels, broke nearly all its limbs and now scared the hell out of my dwarves. Next moment the aforementioned famers goes berserk, brutally beats the elk husk to near death and immediately gets killed with one hit by a miner. And how does the expedition leader feel about this all? He is ecstactic and satisfied at work lately. Great job, lad!

Enki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 24, 2012, 02:58:21 pm »

So, merchants arrived and ran straight into an evil cloud. I appear to be quite lucky in that it doesn't create husks. Instead, it causes this:
But did they die from it? If not, weaponize!

Rask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 24, 2012, 03:00:42 pm »

They are still in the trading depot, every body part covered in foul dust, rotting, and dispensing miasma. Every body part is yellow, except for the eyes which are blue, and small things such as ears and noses, which are brown. I don't know yet if they are going to die or not.

Edit: now they have left the map, still alive, and the "swollen with blood" parts of the description is gone. Apparently, this is a survivable dust. But now, what to do with it? All that rotting meat sounds like a great way to train surgery...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 03:08:23 pm by Rask »

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 24, 2012, 03:10:12 pm »

I've been embarked on a thrall zone for quite a while now. In this thread, after the storytime, is a little anecdote about a thrall and the first autumn caravan.

Thralls are non-contagious. There is no dust, only smoke. The product, as a nearly unkillable undead creature, though, is the same.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Enki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 24, 2012, 03:15:49 pm »

Hm ... I think someone has to do some !!SCIENCE!! regarding the idea of training soldiers by putting them against smaller animal husks. The last four living dwarves of my fortress fight a kestrel husk for some time now and since have become legendary wrestlers and fighters. There should be some way to weaponize / utilize the dust or smoke or whatever it is!!!

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 24, 2012, 03:20:23 pm »

Contagion depends on the thrall - from what I can tell neither husks nor thralls are typically contagious directly, but infect others from their coating of dust/soot/ash, if that was the type of cloud that turned them.  If they are washed clean, they become non-contagious.

My thralls were contagious, but they were created by a type of soot, so I think that was the cause.  I've also seen husks reported as both contagious and not contagious so I think that's the same.  As far as I can see the difference between the two types is not yet clear.

It seems possible some types of husk/thrall randomly might be able to infect via blood/bite/other fluids or attacks, since their traits are randomly generated, but this is just speculation.  What we definitely know is that smoke and dust can create them, so the simple answer is that lingering coatings of dust cause the "contagion" or lack thereof.

I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

Geekkake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 24, 2012, 03:25:53 pm »

Need a place to test thralls? I have you covered.

They're pretty much everywhere, along with volcanoes. Shamelessly stolen from some goon.

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 25, 2012, 04:10:23 am »

Similarly, I uploaded Lancehour so if anyone wants an existing embark that is confirmed to generate thrall-producing soot repeatedly after roughly the first year, download and go for it! 

The save is right after embark.  There are no trees, so conserve wood obsessively at first, but so long as you do that, you're fine.

Edit: Yeah... that was a big ol' FAIL on my part.  The link actually works now.  Sorry.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 04:58:57 pm by CatalystParadox »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 25, 2012, 05:02:44 am »

Wow, complete body necrosis, dont get these guys into battle, i heard that a single cut will cause instant death by bleeding.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #119 on: February 25, 2012, 06:26:36 am »

Wow, complete body necrosis, dont get these guys into battle, i heard that a single cut will cause instant death by bleeding.

This is exactly the sort of syndrome I've been looking for  :o
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11