Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: Husk Science: The eternal siege of Voidbreach  (Read 56549 times)

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
Re: Husk Science: The eternal siege of Voidbreach
« Reply #90 on: February 21, 2012, 06:52:39 am »

I don't know what he's basing it on, but in that thread about husks in adv. mode that da Vinci guy said huskification can be transmitted with contact with material. Husks would turn others into husks by being covered in husk-creating material, then striking. Now, if a husk has been caught in the rain or in the water it would no longer be contagious. Similarly husks might not be contagious at all if the mist was of type gas rather than type vapor, as that would not leave a covering on the creature.
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Enki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 21, 2012, 06:55:01 am »

I think I just risk it. Would be too bad to lose on of the starting seven right away. Especially after he got some decent training with his axe.

Immacolata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 21, 2012, 07:26:59 am »

Is this "huskification" effect not overdone a tad? As you describe it, the world should more or less be huskified in a couple of generations if the husks are so contagious and tenacious as described.

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 21, 2012, 12:08:16 pm »

Is this "huskification" effect not overdone a tad? As you describe it, the world should more or less be huskified in a couple of generations if the husks are so contagious and tenacious as described.
You say it in game where physics wake up only when you go with adventurer to on-water city (forced by raw manipulation).
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

Dalkar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 21, 2012, 01:29:09 pm »

I take it there is no way of getting husks in the arena?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 21, 2012, 02:34:20 pm »

Husk. Based on this thread, I can now safely class them as necromorphs sans the mutating.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 21, 2012, 02:55:32 pm »

Hmmm... So husks > vampires. Don't suppose your husk dwarves still do work? Lol

*dreams of immortal husk warriors*
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 21, 2012, 03:25:55 pm »

Husk. Based on this thread, I can now safely class them as necromorphs sans the mutating.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2012, 05:50:30 pm »

The thing about husks being coated with dust etc explains why my "fiendish fog husks" were not contagious

Fog and mist, not contagious, dust = the killer, but can be washed off. e.g flooding the surface with water or having a shower you lure the husks through.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 05:52:07 pm by Reelya »

Schizotek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 23, 2012, 06:36:59 pm »

Hmm...the material being the transmitter might explain why the Husks in Voidbreach were so fucking contagious. They were all formed by "creeping dust" and I was in a desert, so I never got rain as far as I can remember. And even if I did, the dust storms were common enough to leave a new powdering on the Husks every once in awhile.
Imagine the will it took to create a fortress like this. And what have you elves built? Nothing. You can only loot and break. You're not dwarves!! You're just termites at Versailles.

It's not that I don't suffer, it's that I know the unimportance of suffering, I know that pain is to be fought and thrown aside, not to be accepted as part of one's soul and as a permanent scar across one's view of existence.

keyreper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2012, 07:42:51 pm »

this CAN BE WEAPONIZED!!! it says you can eat it and be turned into a husk! so just out some food outside, let the cloud go over it, pick it up and feed it to a prisoner and release him into the wild (and if goblin) and send him home!
The anwser to life, the universe, and everything as we know it is -MAGMA-

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 23, 2012, 08:05:17 pm »

I'm reminded of undead in the early versions of DF2010. Toady hotfixed them with the pseudo HP system that lets you 'defeat' zombies after whacking away at them for some time. Sounds like Toady forgot to apply those "how to deal with zombies" code to Husks.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Immacolata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 24, 2012, 02:20:46 am »

It would be nice if you could - eventually - chop a husk into smatter. This should prevent hilarious stuff like when a leg-less, tooth-less kitten husk brings an entire fortress to a halt!

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 24, 2012, 03:29:19 am »

Wait wait wait...

Rain makes husks no longer contagious? (Same for a ditch with 1/7 water?)

Rask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 24, 2012, 03:37:19 am »

Great information in this thread. I expect it to become very useful in my current fortress - a nice 3x3 embark on the intersection of a terrifying mountain, a terrifying forest, and a terrifying hill (I multiplied the desired number of evil and savage tiles by 10 in worldgen settings).

So far, the hills have rains that induce fever and vomitting, the forest has rain that induces fever, bruises, and temporary blindness, and the mountain has evil fog. I'm not sure yet if the fog huskifies stuff, because it only hit some wandering zombies so far (wich took some red and yellow damage and started bleeding). It's only a matter of time until some of the various animal people around will be hit.

The fort is still young, so my defences consist mostly of cage traps and one axedwarf. So far, I have lost two dwarves to construction-related accidents, and both rose as undead. One got caught by a cage trap, the other by the axedwarf. I disposed of both by dumping them down a deep pit with a drawbridge at the bottom. Since my evil clouds are neither dust nor ash, I conclude that I won't have to install a thrall/husk washing machine before fighting them. This map may just be survivable, after all.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11