Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: Husk Science: The eternal siege of Voidbreach  (Read 56559 times)

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
Re: Husk Science: The eternal siege of Voidbreach
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2012, 05:30:18 pm »

His husk goslings and badgers actually pretty much decimated the HFS already. Although he didn't say whether the fire demon eventually died.

To be honest, I don't think Toady overdid it at all, this is a brilliant thing. Now nobody can say the game is always too easy.
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2012, 05:51:46 pm »

His husk goslings and badgers actually pretty much decimated the HFS already. Although he didn't say whether the fire demon eventually died.

To be honest, I don't think Toady overdid it at all, this is a brilliant thing. Now nobody can say the game is always too easy.

Well, the fact that soldiers can't kill them at all is a little frustrating. When I design the defence of my fort, I'm like "Traps? Silly elves, I have dwarves!" (aka I only use soldiers to deal with my enemies). I don't want to have to build atom smashers and extremely complicated magma systems to deal with a bunch of Husks.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2012, 05:54:23 pm »

I got "fiendish fog" which caused "fiendish fog husks" to roam around. That fog was a killer!

Mine were

- instakill "fiendish fog", no exceptions noted.
- fog could flow over walls at least 2-Z high, and seemingly down corridors. building outside was too risky / savescummy so i couldn't test much. But you could build a "sky city" at the second level above ground, and the fog / mist should flow UNDER your building zone.
- cage-trappable husks resulted
- husks of wild-life often left the map quickly
- husk zombies were not contagious at all as far as I saw, I only got husks from direct fog exposure, but my evil map also lacked auto-reanimation.
- i didn't observe any husks fighting each other, only the living, but i might just be unobservant.

EDIT: about to go over this thread fully, will edit here if i have any info not reported.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 06:07:55 pm by Reelya »

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2012, 06:00:34 pm »

Well, the fact that soldiers can't kill them at all is a little frustrating. When I design the defence of my fort, I'm like "Traps? Silly elves, I have dwarves!" (aka I only use soldiers to deal with my enemies). I don't want to have to build atom smashers and extremely complicated magma systems to deal with a bunch of Husks.

You shouldn't have to. Just capture a magma person from the sea, or another fire-casting thing and use him for defense. Is this idea somehow non-interesting that nobody notices it?
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2012, 06:03:24 pm »

Well, I think YheAussieDwarf can no longer claim to have beaten dwarf Fortress.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2012, 06:11:28 pm »

No one will take away his win of DF2010. We shall see about DF2012 - Girlinhat works on horrors of evil regions, after all.
By the way... anyone managed to get to Hell in new version to check if it is still colonizable?
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2012, 06:12:36 pm »

Yeah he can.

He beat the HFS with not but dwarf-power, seige engines, and walls. This was a case of seeing which evil was worse, and it turns out husks are FAR worse than the demons.
 and like that guy above me said, he did it on DF20!0. 2012 is a suitably worse place.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2012, 06:48:22 pm »

Yeah he can.

He beat the HFS with not but dwarf-power, seige engines, and walls. This was a case of seeing which evil was worse, and it turns out husks are FAR worse than the demons.
 and like that guy above me said, he did it on DF20!0. 2012 is a suitably worse place.
Look on these doings and despair, know that in the old times the books spake of loaves and fishes but the harbinger has arrived now bringing with it only plagues and pillars of salt.... Also wagons.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2012, 06:51:11 pm »

Yeah he can.

Look on these doings and despair, know that in the old times the books spake of loaves and fishes but the harbinger has arrived now bringing with it only plagues and pillars of salt.... Also wagons.

So.... Alien invasion?

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2012, 11:05:43 pm »

I would love to know whether the flaming dingo husks ever sputtered out before they died or were eventually consumed by the flames.
At last, she is done.

Schizotek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2012, 11:08:57 pm »

I would love to know whether the flaming dingo husks ever sputtered out before they died or were eventually consumed by the flames.

about 2 hours of combat in and there had been no noticeable changes. They were still on fire. The literal ocean of pterosaurs webs made were constantly catching both the Husks and the demons. I abandoned out of boredom.
Imagine the will it took to create a fortress like this. And what have you elves built? Nothing. You can only loot and break. You're not dwarves!! You're just termites at Versailles.

It's not that I don't suffer, it's that I know the unimportance of suffering, I know that pain is to be fought and thrown aside, not to be accepted as part of one's soul and as a permanent scar across one's view of existence.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2012, 12:00:36 am »

Fair enough.  I imagine that if the fire did not extinguish or kill the Husks after two hours real time then it can't be a cure-all where larger creatures have been husked.
At last, she is done.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2012, 12:07:05 am »

Give me a save, and let's see what dangers the husks pose to the Girly Legion!

Schizotek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2012, 12:13:09 am »

Fort was abandoned. Just gen worlds and embark in terrifying biomes till you happen upon the proper weather.
Imagine the will it took to create a fortress like this. And what have you elves built? Nothing. You can only loot and break. You're not dwarves!! You're just termites at Versailles.

It's not that I don't suffer, it's that I know the unimportance of suffering, I know that pain is to be fought and thrown aside, not to be accepted as part of one's soul and as a permanent scar across one's view of existence.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2012, 12:15:18 am »

I tried a dozen worlds, doesn't seem to hate me quite enough to give me husks...

Perhaps I haven't slaughtered enough children in .34?  Am I not a monster so indiscriminate that only Husks and Soot befit me?  Surely my reputation needs to be sullied further...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11