Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: Husk Science: The eternal siege of Voidbreach  (Read 56547 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: Husk Science: The eternal siege of Voidbreach
« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2012, 12:17:01 am »

I tried a dozen worlds, doesn't seem to hate me quite enough to give me husks...

Perhaps I haven't slaughtered enough children in .34?  Am I not a monster so indiscriminate that only Husks and Soot befit me?  Surely my reputation needs to be sullied further...
It's possible that you are getting husks but they recognize you and flee.

graklyn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2012, 12:13:37 pm »

I managed to spin up a world last night that meets the aforementioned requested criteria - relatively flat embark (it's on the coast... husk sea serpents anyone?), eerie ash clouds that produce husks, and it's technically on an aquifer, but there are large swaths of the coast you can dig down into and miss the aquifer completely.  I'm willing to share it in the name of husk science if someone can tell me the preferred way to upload saves.

Also, apparently husks can gain skill ranks?  I had an untrained fisherdwarf get turned into a husk by a cat-husk and he's been locked in an unending wrestling contest with the cat for almost 2 months.  He managed to train up to legendary wrestler in that time. 

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2012, 12:47:59 pm »

I tried a dozen worlds, doesn't seem to hate me quite enough to give me husks...

Perhaps I haven't slaughtered enough children in .34?  Am I not a monster so indiscriminate that only Husks and Soot befit me?  Surely my reputation needs to be sullied further...
How about dropping the types of evil rain down in worldgen, so you get evil clouds more often?

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2012, 07:04:43 pm »

‼SCIENCE‼ will be carried out on my newest embark in a terrifying forest if I get husks/thralls. I will report my findings here.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Schizotek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2012, 07:51:47 pm »

I managed to spin up a world last night that meets the aforementioned requested criteria - relatively flat embark (it's on the coast... husk sea serpents anyone?), eerie ash clouds that produce husks, and it's technically on an aquifer, but there are large swaths of the coast you can dig down into and miss the aquifer completely.  I'm willing to share it in the name of husk science if someone can tell me the preferred way to upload saves.

Also, apparently husks can gain skill ranks?  I had an untrained fisherdwarf get turned into a husk by a cat-husk and he's been locked in an unending wrestling contest with the cat for almost 2 months.  He managed to train up to legendary wrestler in that time.
I just today gen'd up a world with 100 volcanos and about 50% of the land area being evil. Got a volcano with husks. About two years after  a migrant wave arrived and got huskified one of the bitches gave birth. Husks are pretty much immortal dwarves with a hatred of everything so she caved her babies skull in immediately. And then the baby was husked and they fought each other for awhile. Or rather mommy beat her child until her limbs were all gone.
Since they can give birth it seems to make sense that they can learn skills as well.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 08:01:37 pm by Schizotek »
Imagine the will it took to create a fortress like this. And what have you elves built? Nothing. You can only loot and break. You're not dwarves!! You're just termites at Versailles.

It's not that I don't suffer, it's that I know the unimportance of suffering, I know that pain is to be fought and thrown aside, not to be accepted as part of one's soul and as a permanent scar across one's view of existence.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2012, 08:54:22 pm »

It appears that they can learn skills, yes.  If they could at all.  IE - Dwarf Husks can, Dog Husks cannot.

ibot66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2012, 11:52:07 pm »

Wait, so if husks can turn other dwarfs into more husks, if your adventurer got husked, could he infect cities?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 20, 2012, 11:53:46 pm »

That's an extremely good question.  More importantly, if your adventurer is a husk, can you ever die?  Although how would you contract it, exactly?  Do mists appear in adventure mode?  Husks never seem to come from the map's edge, they're always turned on-site, so would you ever get "Ambush!  Wolf Husks!" while fast traveling?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2012, 12:12:48 am »

Maybe just play fortress mode until you can abandon a husk-infested site, somewhere easy to find (follow a river). Then send your adventurer in to get husked.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 21, 2012, 12:23:24 am »

Maybe just play fortress mode until you can abandon a husk-infested site, somewhere easy to find (follow a river). Then send your adventurer in to get husked.

Would you retain control???
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 21, 2012, 01:03:15 am »

Wait, is a husk the same thing as a thrall? if so, I've become one before. I fought the legions of Elf corpses in the Necromancers tower and learned the secrets of life and death. And promptly went on a rampage. The Necromancers minions still attacked me though. Even when I raised them myself.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 01:09:21 am by Vgray »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 21, 2012, 01:06:08 am »

There are reports from this thread pertaining to husks in adventure mode. Search it for 'husk' and read up, I suppose. On page two some players report successfully becoming husks.

I say begin !!SCIENCE!! with a haphazard sampling of evil regions. Just create an adventurer, collect a companion or two, and wander into evil regions until you find evil mists. If we completely fail to locate any in any region within a few days, then msits probably don't appear in adventure mode.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Enki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2012, 06:38:16 am »

Any reports on blighted dust husks? Got some on my glacier map, woodworker got caught by a giant weasel man blighted dust husk and fought it. In the end he got off. His thoughts show an unhappy thought about enduring heavy injuries lately, but he has not even a scratch. He hasn't transformed yet but I sealed off my fortress with him outside. So anyone having experience with blighted dust?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 21, 2012, 06:40:49 am »

Any reports on blighted dust husks? Got some on my glacier map, woodworker got caught by a giant weasel man blighted dust husk and fought it. In the end he got off. His thoughts show an unhappy thought about enduring heavy injuries lately, but he has not even a scratch. He hasn't transformed yet but I sealed off my fortress with him outside. So anyone having experience with blighted dust?
I don't think the first part matters so much as the husk part.

Enki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 21, 2012, 06:45:32 am »

Are you sure? Maybe there are differences between husk types. At least I hope so. Said woodcrafter is still no husk despite being definitely bitten and scratched by the husk.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11