Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wimpy seige...  (Read 1476 times)

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wimpy seige...
« on: February 17, 2012, 10:50:46 pm »

K, disclaimer, this is about .31, cuz I can't get past world gen in .34 (every time it gens fine, but pressing go to choose an embark site crashes it).

So I've had this fort 6 years now, just got my first siege. It was only 15 goblins, which was slightly disappointing, as I've averaged 36 in each years ambushes. So, 2 questions:

How quickly does siege difficulty ramp up, and

The siege followed very closely to my drowning of the 143 goblins I had been playing with in a pit... Did killing them trigger it?
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Wimpy seige...
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 11:06:24 pm »

1. Should do, eventually you'll be getting multiple goblin squads, hopefully mounted ones and maybe some troll squads too.
2. Nope

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 01:09:27 am »

How quickly does siege difficulty ramp up,

1. Should do,

... I'm afraid I don't understand your reply...

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 01:17:05 am »

How quickly does siege difficulty ramp up,

1. Should do,

... I'm afraid I don't understand your reply...

What he means is that as your fortress gets a higher population and creates more wealth you will attract larger and larger sieges. 
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 12:29:11 am »

Ah, yes. My second seige was 50+ goblins and 6 trolls. What was so special about getting trolls? Except for the fact they escaped the cages when I tried mass pitting them, and my 30 hunting dogs had to tear them to shreds...

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 12:37:20 am »

Ah, yes. My second seige was 50+ goblins and 6 trolls. What was so special about getting trolls? Except for the fact they escaped the cages when I tried mass pitting them, and my 30 hunting dogs had to tear them to shreds...
Trolls are building destroyers, so they'll break down your doors and other furniture.
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

Snix

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 01:00:13 am »

K, disclaimer, this is about .31, cuz I can't get past world gen in .34 (every time it gens fine, but pressing go to choose an embark site crashes it).

So I've had this fort 6 years now, just got my first siege. It was only 15 goblins, which was slightly disappointing, as I've averaged 36 in each years ambushes. So, 2 questions:

The siege followed very closely to my drowning of the 143 goblins I had been playing with in a pit... Did killing them trigger it?

I had that same issue with the new release, I fixed it by using a fresh install instead of copying the new files to my old DF folder. Have you tried that?

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 05:07:38 am »

I had that same issue with the new release, I fixed it by using a fresh install instead of copying the new files to my old DF folder. Have you tried that?

Ya, I put it in its own separate folder. Didn't want to mess this fort up, gunna run it until it spirals out of control, and then try out the new version...

Kinda funny, I walked off, thought I had paused it, came back to find the fire-breathing Titan I had been tracking across the map entered my fort... and was slaughtered by 4 hunting dogs and 3 marksdwarves:-D Man, I love those guys...