Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Giant Mosquitos: How dangerous are they?  (Read 3961 times)

Schizotek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Giant Mosquitos: How dangerous are they?
« on: February 17, 2012, 09:54:05 pm »

So I just got the new version about two hours ago and began a new fort in a terrifying biome.
So far I've had relatively few mishaps. Killed a handful of Thrip men, safely weathered out some creeping dust storms (wtf are those btw?), cowered in terror from the flocks of Giant Ravens and Giant Thrips who never numbered more than a dozen. But all of the sudden my map has become flooded with Giant Mosquitoes. And not like...15 of them. I mean there's probably 50+ of these damned things swarming around in circles around my fort. My defenses consist of two speardwarves with no armor and bismuth bronze shields and spears, and 20 war dogs, one of which is missing a leg. Should I take pre-emptive action against the endless swarms? Or cower within Voidbreach and hope they go away without slaughtering my livestock?
Imagine the will it took to create a fortress like this. And what have you elves built? Nothing. You can only loot and break. You're not dwarves!! You're just termites at Versailles.

It's not that I don't suffer, it's that I know the unimportance of suffering, I know that pain is to be fought and thrown aside, not to be accepted as part of one's soul and as a permanent scar across one's view of existence.

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Giant Mosquitos: How dangerous are they?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 09:55:44 pm »

I'd go with "cower" on this one.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

Schizotek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 10:04:51 pm »

I sent in the dogs and speardwarves. Save scummed to right before i gave the order. Most of the deaths were from mosquitoes biting dwarves/dogs in the head tearing apart the brain, and then sucking blood out. I'm assuming brains were included with the blood. It was like something out of starship troopers. Note to others. Giant mosquitoes are no laughing matter. Especially when they outnumber you 10-1.
Imagine the will it took to create a fortress like this. And what have you elves built? Nothing. You can only loot and break. You're not dwarves!! You're just termites at Versailles.

It's not that I don't suffer, it's that I know the unimportance of suffering, I know that pain is to be fought and thrown aside, not to be accepted as part of one's soul and as a permanent scar across one's view of existence.

Frame

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 10:09:41 pm »

Giant mosquitoes won't attack on their own, so the simplest thing to do is wait them out and get interruption spam.

Schizotek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 10:16:45 pm »

Yeah just figured that out. Migrant wave came in where they were thickest and I was expecting the 4 children 2 cheesemakers butcher and tanner to get raped. The swarms fled. It was like moses parted the Mosquito sea. Shame though. This is the most useless bunch of migrants I've ever seen.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 10:25:24 pm »

All of it. They are all of the dangerous.

dragginmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 10:36:57 pm »

Killed my FPS, not my dorfs.

That guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 10:40:38 pm »

Would a tunnel with repeating upright spikes work?

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 10:44:40 pm »

Would a tunnel with repeating upright spikes work?

always and forever.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 11:17:56 pm »

Or a dog forcefield.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 11:47:06 pm »

Giant mosquitoes won't attack on their own, so the simplest thing to do is wait them out and get interruption spam.

Um, yeah, they attack on their own, unprovoked... I've lost several expeditions to them.

edit: think I may have misread that.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 12:05:27 am »

Started by a lake...huge swarm of these things appeared. So far no conflicts...

Alestom

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Scotsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 12:09:47 am »

I had the extreme bad luck to start a fort DIRECTLY IN THEIR MIGRATION PATH...... It was a very red day for all dwarves above the surface.... 17 Masons slaughtered.....6 marksdwarves put to the....Mouth?
If I had my time again, I know Id be a fighting man

In far Malay or Vietnam, Though I am more a lover

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 01:49:39 am »

I had the extreme bad luck to start a fort DIRECTLY IN THEIR MIGRATION PATH...... It was a very red day for all dwarves above the surface.... 17 Masons slaughtered.....6 marksdwarves put to the....Mouth?
I believe "proboscis" is the proper term.
[/neckbeard]
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 01:56:21 am »

I imagine the only thing that makes them dangerous, is the simple fact they spawn in massive swarms right now.
Pages: [1] 2