Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Heating weapons  (Read 1851 times)

leekster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Heating weapons
« on: February 17, 2012, 09:47:59 pm »

So I was playing around with the campfire and I noticed I could heat my silver whip. Does this do anything when I attack with it? I'm kinda hoping it cause extra pain or something. Thanks in advance.

Spirit of Power

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Heating weapons
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 10:16:37 pm »

No, so far as I know, the only reason to heat something is to melt ice so you can drink it. Besides that it seems to do nothing.

Batmantis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 11:06:32 pm »

I'd do it just for the satisfaction.
See, I play as a highland lord, I light the torches its time for war, I'll ride through a rival town weilding a ball and chain made of spikes and thorns, or a longsword, with the hilt made out of a dinosaurs spinal chord, sharpened against a rhino's horn, when you swing it it sounds like a lions roar!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 11:38:41 pm »

Would probably just damage you.

leekster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 11:50:38 pm »

It'd be cool if you could heat your hammer or sword hot enough to punch through or severely damage armour. Or heat up a sword and use the flat edge to cauterize a bleeding wound.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 11:58:55 pm »

Is the heat from the fire hardcoded into the game?
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Dr.Propz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 12:42:00 am »

I kinda wish you could fry live vermin. That way, they die and you have a nice meal!

Or maybe toss somebody into a campfire, have them start roasting for my cannibal character

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 03:10:39 am »

It'd be cool if you could heat your hammer or sword hot enough to punch through or severely damage armour. Or heat up a sword and use the flat edge to cauterize a bleeding wound.

Edged weapons are tempered to be harder and more brittle in order to maintain the edge. If you heat up the blade, you will only mess up the tempering. Heating does not provide a gamey +x fire bonus, because when cutting, the contact is momentary and no significant amount of heat is transferred.  The only difference would be if you run someone through. The weapon would lose temperature quickly anyway if waved through the air.

So, IMO it would not be cool, it would be a nonsense.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 03:19:22 am by Kamamura »
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 03:12:03 am »

can u set wooden arrows on fire?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 05:09:02 am »

can u set wooden arrows on fire?

That would be awesome.
but i especially hope you can put bodies on fire and use necromancing powers.
BURNING ZOMBIES!

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.