Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 401 402 [403] 404 405 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 878534 times)

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #6030 on: March 07, 2014, 07:15:24 am »

Just little FYI:
A while ago I had an idea of having a fortress of breeds of the starting 7.
In case when you can get at least 3 families in starting group (due to differencies of age of my dwarves, I had to cheat arround with marry script of dfhack with this), you can survive for 3 generations at least. I had a fort with 5 CHILD age limit, and 40 years MAXAGE; it ran sealed from surroundings for alot of time (17 years to be precise), with all of generations having their marriages, then I got bored with it and unsealed it, having a pitiful end for all of my dorfs in next titan visit.
Going to run for at least 80 years next time, without migrations and with militaries.
Peasantry & the chances of children catching moods were rather very high, which was an artifact-killing experience (10 * artifact mug, hell yeah).
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

moondowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6031 on: March 08, 2014, 12:21:32 pm »

Can I somehow explain to my civilians that there's no way zombies are gonna get through the wall, so they can stop freaking out and go on harvesting my aboveground crops?

masterkazoom

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6032 on: March 08, 2014, 02:30:32 pm »

I have been catching a lot of ravens and I figured I was gonna get them trained and their kids domesticated. I have a dozen or so right now - nestboxes set up and all of that. Forbade the nextboxes so the eggs aren't carried off - now the ravens are sitting on it, there are male ravens present, but I haven't gotten any baby ravens yet. It's been three years? I have three forbidden next boxes with eggs in it (which are also forbidden) - what am I doing wrong? :(
edit: oh, and my legendary mechanic got murdered as he set up a cage trap. So sad.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6033 on: March 08, 2014, 03:20:14 pm »

I have been catching a lot of ravens and I figured I was gonna get them trained and their kids domesticated. I have a dozen or so right now - nestboxes set up and all of that. Forbade the nextboxes so the eggs aren't carried off - now the ravens are sitting on it, there are male ravens present, but I haven't gotten any baby ravens yet. It's been three years? I have three forbidden next boxes with eggs in it (which are also forbidden) - what am I doing wrong? :(
edit: oh, and my legendary mechanic got murdered as he set up a cage trap. So sad.

Eggs don't always get fertilized. As a general rule, if it takes longer than three months, then the eggs will not hatch at all.

Just unforbid and collect the eggs, then wait for the birds to try laying eggs again.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6034 on: March 08, 2014, 03:57:00 pm »

dwarfs will go back to reinforce the taming on the captured ravens. They have a nasty habit of forcing the creature to move or crouch at this point, which will mean the eggs won't hatch. For better succes chance, tame them up to -trained- or something better and lock the door - no eggs will be collected and trainers won't disturb nesting females.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Doktoro Reichard

• Bay Watcher
  • Lunatic formerly known as Escaped
    • View Profile
« Reply #6035 on: March 08, 2014, 09:37:33 pm »

I have been catching a lot of ravens and I figured I was gonna get them trained and their kids domesticated.

I have obtained several ravens, through cage traps, that I've therefore trained and tamed. I have to say that, after 5 or so in-game years, I am still at an Expert level (in regards to actual civilization, which had no previous attempts of taming ravens), although it took 1 or 2 years for I to get a tame raven (all this without breeding, though).

Being ravens exotic pets, their domestication (again, civ-wise) can take even more time than what I pointed earlier. Or I might not be understanding the mechanics of civ knowledge... And as they don't provide any useful byproducts (besides eggs), they are of little use (to me) other than to practice animal training skills.
I have to write something... well here goes:
"A dwarf isn't a dwarf unless he dies the most !!FUN!! of ways", Quote unknown, possibly Armok.

Doktoro Reichard is quite pleased with making a Great Carbonite Trap

Why shouldn't you write with a broken pencil? Because it's pointless!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6036 on: March 09, 2014, 03:35:54 am »

, after 5 or so in-game years, I am still at an Expert level (in regards to actual civilization, which had no previous attempts of taming ravens), although it took 1 or 2 years for I to get a tame raven (all this without breeding, though).
-snip-
their domestication (again, civ-wise) can take even more time than what I pointed earlier

current knowledge considered wild animals to never reach 'tame' status, are you saying you managed that?. Only young animals could be tamed up to that. It's also considered 'true' that you will never reach 'domesticated' status in your knowledge or your civ knowledge
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6037 on: March 09, 2014, 09:53:40 am »

Can animals be modded in? I know there are lots of modded species, making me curious about the need for that animal sponsorship drive.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

AdeleneDawner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6038 on: March 09, 2014, 11:04:02 am »

Can I somehow explain to my civilians that there's no way zombies are gonna get through the wall, so they can stop freaking out and go on harvesting my aboveground crops?

Not as such; you'd have to arrange it so that your civilians can't see them, which would involve doing construction work to block whatever line of sight they have, which is generally not possible aboveground without putting them in the line of sight and having them freak out and abandon the construction jobs. (Belowground, you can cave in some stone through a floor - it's not the most elegant option, but it's at least possible.)

Is your wall made of fortifications, by the way? If it is, they're actually not completely unjustified in running away; things with ranged attacks can attack through fortifications, and they don't know that the zombies don't have one. Generally you just want regular walls, for building with; nothing gets through those.
Dying (ceasing to be alive) is also not a Moodable skill. Even totally unskilled Dwarves seem to do it correctly.

Doktoro Reichard

• Bay Watcher
  • Lunatic formerly known as Escaped
    • View Profile
« Reply #6039 on: March 09, 2014, 12:53:54 pm »

, after 5 or so in-game years, I am still at an Expert level (in regards to actual civilization, which had no previous attempts of taming ravens), although it took 1 or 2 years for I to get a tame raven (all this without breeding, though).
-snip-
their domestication (again, civ-wise) can take even more time than what I pointed earlier

current knowledge considered wild animals to never reach 'tame' status, are you saying you managed that?. Only young animals could be tamed up to that. It's also considered 'true' that you will never reach 'domesticated' status in your knowledge or your civ knowledge

They do become tame. Only in the past year did I begin an egg-laying program. I have only a single trainer (that is now legendary) taking care of all animals (which isn't a 100% great idea, because they can only tend to so many animals at a time).

I experimented with DFHack and modded the first trainer's skill to legendary+5 and then began training the only dragon in the world. It was masterfully trained, and also that made my civ reach a level of understanding with dragon training (although the concrete one I don't recall). Also, in the raven training program, I passed from no knowledge to "general familiarity" and then to "expert" in a single fortress.

As far as civ knowledge... according to the wiki page and the research linked there, it does seem that full domestication is impossible, although the pets that were tested in Vucardomas were both exotic, which may make some sort of difference.
I have to write something... well here goes:
"A dwarf isn't a dwarf unless he dies the most !!FUN!! of ways", Quote unknown, possibly Armok.

Doktoro Reichard is quite pleased with making a Great Carbonite Trap

Why shouldn't you write with a broken pencil? Because it's pointless!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6040 on: March 09, 2014, 12:58:40 pm »

Can animals be modded in? I know there are lots of modded species, making me curious about the need for that animal sponsorship drive.

Well, of course, but you can't mod in things like the hive industry.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6041 on: March 09, 2014, 01:45:04 pm »

Well, of course, but you can't mod in things like the hive industry.

Well then, is there a comprehensive as currently possible animal mod?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6042 on: March 09, 2014, 03:20:52 pm »

they might have something at the modding section, I don't usually go there

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?board=13.0

moondowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6043 on: March 09, 2014, 03:23:52 pm »

Is your wall made of fortifications, by the way? If it is, they're actually not completely unjustified in running away; things with ranged attacks can attack through fortifications, and they don't know that the zombies don't have one. Generally you just want regular walls, for building with; nothing gets through those.

No, the wall is solid. I thought the dwarfs wouldn't be able to see through it, but apparently, on a very short distance, they can see over the wall. Or they can hear zombies bumping their heads against it, I have no other explanation.

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6044 on: March 09, 2014, 04:17:55 pm »

I've never done any advanced engineering in DF and now I wanted to start my little project.
What am I doing wrong in following setup:
http://rghost.net/52946896
There is a raisen bridge (raisen before linking with pressure plate; with lever), a rollers to start up heavy minecart, a pressure plate that should have opened the bridge. This DNW (bridge doesn't open when pressure plate is triggered)
What am I missing?
Should this be workdarounded by some other mechanic solution?
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.
Pages: 1 ... 401 402 [403] 404 405 ... 422