Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 398 399 [400] 401 402 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 878562 times)

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5985 on: February 22, 2014, 01:42:16 pm »

I have no idea what the inconsistency means, but it's probably harmless. You'll get a few error messages with many programs that aren't designed specifically for your distro, and most of the time it's something that only the programmer can fix. If it runs, you should be fine.

Regarding beginner's resources, I found the Community Help Wiki very helpful. It's not quite up to date (sometimes like 2 versions behind), but it should be okay for learning the basics.
I can also recommend this beginner's guide to working with the Terminal.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5986 on: February 24, 2014, 08:16:58 pm »

So, I've got an FB trying to eat a bait door.  It's an Exceptional door, so non-artifact.  He's doing no damage to it that I can tell.  He ate a door prior to this (it's a path of doors to get them to where I want them), so he definitely can destroy buildings.

None of the DF-Hack commands for destruction, at least that I can find in the documentation, will destroy a building.

Before I sacrifice a Dorf to manually take the door down, any ideas?
« Reply #5987 on: February 24, 2014, 08:57:47 pm »

So, I've got an FB trying to eat a bait door.  It's an Exceptional door, so non-artifact.  He's doing no damage to it that I can tell.  He ate a door prior to this (it's a path of doors to get them to where I want them), so he definitely can destroy buildings.

None of the DF-Hack commands for destruction, at least that I can find in the documentation, will destroy a building.

If the FB can't fly, you can channel a pit down behind the door so when he eventually breaks it down, he still can't get inside.

If you think you have enough time, you can make a bridge (immune to building-destroyers if I am not mistaken) and link it up so you can use that to close the entrance behind the door. But linking levers to stuff is quite time consuming; even if using fastdwarf :O

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5988 on: February 24, 2014, 09:08:26 pm »

If the FB can't fly, you can channel a pit down behind the door so when he eventually breaks it down, he still can't get inside.

If you think you have enough time, you can make a bridge (immune to building-destroyers if I am not mistaken) and link it up so you can use that to close the entrance behind the door. But linking levers to stuff is quite time consuming; even if using fastdwarf :O

You misunderstand.  I'm not trying to protect myself from the FB, I want him to destroy the door, it's bugged.  I need a way to remove it.

EDIT:
Alright, so far I've attempted a suicide run at the door to remove it: no good, dorf opens door to remove it and gets eaten.
Using liquids with a double river source to push the FB back out to the exit: No good, he's too damned fat to move with flow.
Obsidianizing the door via liquids (o): No good, door just gets embedded in the obsidian, FB still sees it.
Magma with Water Drop for obsidianization: Unavailable, no 'space' over door to drop from height.
Can't block path, he's cornering to the door, so unless I obsidianize the FB I'm trying to trap, no good.

Will update with further thoughts/attempts.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5989 on: February 24, 2014, 09:52:21 pm »

You misunderstand.  I'm not trying to protect myself from the FB, I want him to destroy the door, it's bugged.  I need a way to remove it.
Can you do something from above? A cave-in either on the door (if it's possible) or near the FB (to push the FB to a 2-tile range so it destroys the door properly?)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 09:54:59 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5990 on: February 24, 2014, 09:54:49 pm »

Can you do something from above? A cave-in either on the door (if possible) or near the FB (to push the FB away a bit so it destroys the door properly?)

If my dorfs start digging over the FB's head (necessary to cause the area for cave in), they'll freak out and never finish.  Plus this thing webs.  I'll never get 'em out again.

Not a bad idea though.

EDIT:
2 range tile!  That's it!  I forgot about that bug!

(Let's in a bunch of other FBs)  One of 'em will kill it! :)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5991 on: February 24, 2014, 09:55:28 pm »

You could try locking the door and doing the lever linkage. I'm not sure what'll happen, but the worst case scenario is that you've got a mechanism stuck in your stuck door.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5992 on: February 24, 2014, 09:57:45 pm »

Can you do something from above? A cave-in either on the door (if possible) or near the FB (to push the FB away a bit so it destroys the door properly?)

If my dorfs start digging over the FB's head (necessary to cause the area for cave in), they'll freak out and never finish.  Plus this thing webs.  I'll never get 'em out again.

Not a bad idea though.
You could use a blind dwarf for the interrupts. Distract the FB with an animal from the other side?

Ninja'd. Lever sounds sensible.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5993 on: February 24, 2014, 09:58:28 pm »

Haha!  Thanks Bumber, you gave me the answer I needed.

Sometimes Megabeasts are like cowbells.  Sometimes you just need... more cowbell.

Woot, got it cleared.

fortydayweekend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5994 on: February 26, 2014, 03:24:53 am »

Is there something that attracts dwarves to rooms created from restraints? My idlers seem to spend a lot of time hanging out in jail cells and next to the outdoor "death sentence" chain. There are plenty of dining halls and statue gardens to choose from, and restraints can't be set to be meeting areas.

Am I missing something or is it that they just randomly will sometimes hang out near restraints for no real reason?
The Sea Lamprey bites the Miner in the lower left back teeth and the severed part sails off in an arc!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5995 on: February 26, 2014, 03:24:33 pm »

Maybe it's just a really nice chain?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5996 on: February 26, 2014, 04:07:37 pm »

it's one of the great mysteries of DF. No-one knows why dwarfs will prefer to dine and/or relax in your prison block rather than the grand dining hall just a bit further away, but it happens anyway.

Maybe it's a part schadenfreud, or they're turned on by restraints.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5997 on: February 26, 2014, 04:20:44 pm »

You can have a cave in destroy a floor. So you don't have to have the dwarves dig through to the FB.

On the level above the FB, simply dig a room. No need to channel down. Build a support above the FB. Link support to a lever.
On the level above the support, channel out all the tiles around the tile supported by the lever.

Now, just pull the lever. The support will vanish. The tile will fall crashing through the floor. And hopefully, the FB will have not moved and is waiting for its surprise gift from above.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5998 on: February 26, 2014, 09:00:55 pm »

Is there something that attracts dwarves to rooms created from restraints? My idlers seem to spend a lot of time hanging out in jail cells and next to the outdoor "death sentence" chain. There are plenty of dining halls and statue gardens to choose from, and restraints can't be set to be meeting areas.

You can't define a meeting area centered on a restraint, but you can build restraints in meeting areas (defined from statues, or dining halls, or whatever).

I also put restraints in each dwarf's bedroom.  Dwarfs love restraints.  I put 'em right by the bed.  Because reasons.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

fortydayweekend

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5999 on: February 27, 2014, 01:17:18 am »

Maybe it's a part schadenfreud, or they're turned on by restraints.

I also put restraints in each dwarf's bedroom.  Dwarfs love restraints.  I put 'em right by the bed.  Because reasons.

I guess, with no forms of entertainment other than staring at statues, it's no surprise that they'd turn to finding imaginative uses for restraints. I bet they're actually doing all sorts of kinky things with each other, sadly unrenderable in ASCII and so invisible to overseers. I expect we'll see procedurally-generated BDSM in the 0.7x or 0.8x update.
The Sea Lamprey bites the Miner in the lower left back teeth and the severed part sails off in an arc!
Pages: 1 ... 398 399 [400] 401 402 ... 422